72 Wagoneer rear axle removal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > 72 Wagoneer rear axle removal

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 11-27-2005, 03:27 PM   #1
tommy b
1956 CJ5 

72 Wagoneer rear axle removal

How do I get the rear axles out of a 72 Wagoneer? Do I need an axle puller? I was told there might be a pin or snap ring inside the punkin that holds the axle in. I need to remove the axles to take off the brake backing plates. Thanks for any info.

tommy b

tommy b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2005, 09:38 AM   #2
J4GRAND

No pin or snap ring holding the axles on. You have to remove the plate at the end of the axle tubes that has 4 or 5 (I can't remember exactly) bolts. You access the bolts throught the hole in the axle end. You may need a puller, but a common trick is to reverse the brake drum, put on the lug nuts a little, and use the drum as a slide hammer. Unless the outer axle bearings are really buggered up, this should do the trick.
78 Cherokee Chief- Hunting Property Rig
05 Grand Cherokee- 3.7 V6 5 speed auto
J4GRAND is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2005, 12:41 PM   #3
tommy b
1956 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4GRAND
No pin or snap ring holding the axles on. You have to remove the plate at the end of the axle tubes that has 4 or 5 (I can't remember exactly) bolts. You access the bolts throught the hole in the axle end. You may need a puller, but a common trick is to reverse the brake drum, put on the lug nuts a little, and use the drum as a slide hammer. Unless the outer axle bearings are really buggered up, this should do the trick.
Thanks. What I was worried about was having to get into the differential to release the axle. I've got a 5# slide hammer puller. The plate that attaches to the axle flange is almost flat so unless there's a hub sticking out past the flange (like on my 56 CJ5) it should work. I'm headed to the library to look up the specifics on 72 wagoneers. Pictures always help.

tommy b
Unread 11-28-2005, 05:42 PM   #4
jode
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Arent the axles in a 72 2-piece? If so, wouldnt that method not work?

90 YJ, 2.5L, 5-speed
jode is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2005, 03:33 AM   #5
tommy b
1956 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jode
Arent the axles in a 72 2-piece? If so, wouldnt that method not work?
I looked at a Haynes manual on the 72 Wagoneer yesterday and it seemed like a straightforward removal like J4 GRAND said above. I'm about to find out because in about 6 hours I'm leaving for the junkyard to pull them. It's 10 degrees outside now, supposed to go to the 40's tomorrow and then turn colder again on Wednesday so I've got to make my move before someone else bags them. I'll let you know how it all turns out. Thanks for all the help.

tommy b
Unread 11-29-2005, 08:19 AM   #6
J4GRAND

Quote:
Arent the axles in a 72 2-piece?
No Jode, they are not. The two-piece, 19 spline Dana 44s were done after 1969. In '70, they went to the one-piece, 30 spline Dana 44.
78 Cherokee Chief- Hunting Property Rig
05 Grand Cherokee- 3.7 V6 5 speed auto
J4GRAND is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2005, 08:37 AM   #7
jode
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Good times

90 YJ, 2.5L, 5-speed
jode is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2005, 10:10 AM   #8
tommy b
1956 CJ5 

First, I want to thank everyone for the helpful information. Second, I have to say the removal job was a snap. Thanks to the dry Colorado climate, I didn't even need a puller to get one rear axle off. It just slipped off by hand. Did have one scary moment, though. The other rear axle had a rubber plug in the access hole for the bolts behind it. With all the dirt and crud on it, it looked like solid steel. There were two marks that looked like they could be a hole. I tapped on one with a wrench and it was solid steel. Didn't know how the heck we were going to get to those bolts. While I was taking off the front backing plates, my buddy was working on the rears. After a few minutes he told me that he discovered the rubber plug. No sweat after that.

Also, I picked up the set of Warn manual lockers from the vehicle since they were in such good shape. I don't know if they'll fit my 56 CJ5 or not. If not, you'll see them posted in the items for sale section. Thanks again for the help. Great forum

tommy b
Unread 12-01-2005, 04:57 PM   #9
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy b
First, I want to thank everyone for the helpful information. Second, I have to say the removal job was a snap. Thanks to the dry Colorado climate, I didn't even need a puller to get one rear axle off. It just slipped off by hand. Did have one scary moment, though. The other rear axle had a rubber plug in the access hole for the bolts behind it. With all the dirt and crud on it, it looked like solid steel. There were two marks that looked like they could be a hole. I tapped on one with a wrench and it was solid steel. Didn't know how the heck we were going to get to those bolts. While I was taking off the front backing plates, my buddy was working on the rears. After a few minutes he told me that he discovered the rubber plug. No sweat after that.

Also, I picked up the set of Warn manual lockers from the vehicle since they were in such good shape. I don't know if they'll fit my 56 CJ5 or not. If not, you'll see them posted in the items for sale section. Thanks again for the help. Great forum

tommy b
Don't think they're gonna work. The 27 front axle in the 56 has a different spline count.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.