71 wagoneer w/87 drivetrain - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > 71 wagoneer w/87 drivetrain

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDTeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!

Unread 01-09-2014, 07:44 PM   #1
darb56

71 wagoneer w/87 drivetrain

Considering a 71 wagoneer real clean with a TF727 tranny and a dana44 front axle with a NP229 transfer case that was pulled out of a 87 grand wagoneer.Original motor is rebuilt 360. Owner says rear axle is original which i think would be dana44.Would driveshaft have to be altered for this to work? Also does not have shifter through the floor yet. I assume because it is in different location and needs vacuum switch? Owner says that one vac line coming out of case. Does this prove that this is a NP229 and not a NP208? What are the main differences between the two?
Any other problems with this setup? Runs great, super clean, totally restored interior and new paint etc.$4000.00 Nicest one I have seen yet.

darb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2014, 09:18 PM   #2
Gante

Any pictures? It sounds like a decent deal.
Gante is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2014, 10:17 PM   #3
CSP

Buying a swap like that isn't generally for someone without a lot of mechanical background to complete and/or troubleshoot in the future. Given the nature of the questions, it's probably not a good idea.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2014, 07:50 PM   #4
darb56

Thank you for being honest with me. I have decided it is over my head. Will continue looking for a stock early seventies wagoneer.
darb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2014, 08:06 PM   #5
CSP

There's something to be said for knowing where your limitations are. I've bought a lot of abandoned projects at bargain basement prices because someone took something on that they really didn't know how to finish and didn't realize that when they started.

Start slow and add to your skillset a little at a time and good luck finding a rig!
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.