64 J200 Gladiator brought back to life, kinda - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > 64 J200 Gladiator brought back to life, kinda

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 12-05-2014, 07:29 AM   #1
toyktdlgh
1964 J-Series Truck 

64 J200 Gladiator brought back to life, kinda

Well guys i finally got this monster back on the road yesterday. I say that with a half smile as she has no business being on the road at all right now. This was the first test drive since i bought her back in June. I learned a lot about it yesterday and most of it looked like big dollars and lots of tedious parts hunting. Im not sure i'm up to the challenge on this. I could really use some advice and some guidance with finding parts.

So here is whats been done just to get it running again. I bought it 6 months ago without hearing it run. I only did this because i knew the truck from a few years back. I would see it cruising around my small town and saw her parked on the street many times. The owner said he let her set for 2 years. After taking the fuel system apart i'm sure its been at least 5! We started with the fuel tank. Poured some gas in it and it came straight out. Gave it a new poly tank and filler neck. Then the fuel line needed replaced. Then the carburetor needed replaced. Then the fuel pump died and needed replaced. Then the battery quit taking a charge and you guessed it, needed replaced. Now i was fine with all of this and still am. You cant let a vehicle sit that long and not expect the fuel system to crap out and the battery to pass away. Those were givens.

After getting it running we found out the headlights were dead. Apparently the dimmer switch on the floor is dead. Then we noticed the plug that goes to the headlight switch had caught fire and melted. We rigged the lights to work so we could take it for a test run last night. Got her out and she is loud. Previous owner thought it would be cool to put a glasspack on it. It would be cool of it didn't run like crap. No smoke that i could tell but it had a miss and would hesitate when you hit the gas. We did notice that the vacuume advance hose was very loose. So loose it fell off when we were looking at it. It also appeared to need a tune up. In addition it smelled pretty bad when running. Not sure if thats age or what.

As we were driving we noticed the shifter linkage was really loose. Its a 3 on the tree so i know i'm kind of screwed if i want to rebuild that. In addition when we lobbed the brakes it popped out of 2nd gear. Not sure if that was the linkage or what. It would go into all 3 gears fine but we couldn't get it back into 2nd for a downshift. Im not sure if thats due to linkage again but it felt more like a synchronizer issue to me. When hitting the brakes she pulled hard left. We opened her up and she would take off pretty quickly once we got past the hesitations.

So the first drive wasn't very impressive. This poor girl just sat way too long. If it wasn't so dang hard to find parts for i may not feel so bad about it. The linkage is a big deal. Brakes can be fixed and it will need all 4 and wheel cylinders as the bleeders are rusted over. We also tested the 4WD and it all appears to be OK however it will not lock in at the axels. Not sure of the problem as the hubs turned very easily.

My mechanic who's also my good friend said it did better than he expected its first run out. I don't want to do a motor and transmission replacement on this thing. It would put me in too much and i feel i'm already at the tipping point on it cost wise. Frame is perfect and so are the floor pans. Does have some rust on the bed and a few small places but nothing horrid.

So is this thing worth further money being thrown at it or should i cut tail and run. I paid $2500 for it as it sat and i'm a grand in it for parts and labor thus far. Also another 500 for a new tailgate. I know you don't get your money back on project cars but i don't want to get into this thing further if i cant find the parts i need or can never get it right. This thread is part vent and part need for advice finding parts as i would be surprised if i give up on it this soon.

Some pics of it last night. She's a looker if you ask me.

toyktdlgh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2014, 12:23 PM   #2
KirklandXJ
1972 J-Series Truck 

That truck is gorgeous! Is it your DD or just a pleasure vehicle? If it's pleasure and you don't need the money right now, work on it slowly and think on it! You've kept your eye on it for a few years, must mean it's caught your eye pretty fierce...
KirklandXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2014, 02:00 PM   #3
toyktdlgh
1964 J-Series Truck 

Yes the only reason i bought it was because i liked it from earlier on. That little devil was on my shoulder telling me to do it even though i figured it was more work that i wanted. Now i'm no stranger to car rebuilds, I just have one going on already. I suspect this thing will be eventually ok to drive to Lowes and such which is the main reason i bought it.
Unread 12-05-2014, 02:09 PM   #4
KirklandXJ
1972 J-Series Truck 

Then keep it! If you want to make yourself feel better about your purchase, look at my truck in my project thread. You'll be glad you're starting with a truck like yours.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f57/7...hread-2829178/
KirklandXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2014, 02:10 PM   #5
toyktdlgh
1964 J-Series Truck 

I could certainly use some advice on rebuilding the column shifter. Its loose as a goose. Has anyone attacked theirs? I'm assuming there is no kit out there. What have people done before?
Unread 12-05-2014, 02:12 PM   #6
toyktdlgh
1964 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirklandXJ View Post
Then keep it! If you want to make yourself feel better about your purchase, look at my truck in my project thread. You'll be glad you're starting with a truck like yours.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f57/7...hread-2829178/

You got me there! That gas tank of yours looked very familiar.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.