64 Gladiator Tribute Build - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > 64 Gladiator Tribute Build

Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 02-03-2012, 06:34 AM   #121
1jeep
1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Dang, that's some money! I looked into them for my 78 C10.

1jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2012, 09:55 AM   #122
1911lover
2008 JK Wrangler 

Very nice. I am getting anxious to see this beast come together too.

1997 Explorer
2008 Liberty
2008 Sahara Unlimited
1911lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2012, 10:32 AM   #123
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

I am excited too! I get so frustrated that I can't do more. I used to build one 4x4 after another from the ground up in 3-4 months. I got paid to build custom Jeeps and Willys of every kind and I loved every second of it. I would work for 10-12 hours straight day after day, year after year. Food and sleep were an inconvenience. I love it more than any other hobby or career. But now 30 minutes to maybe 1 hour is all I can stand before I have to go lay down for a few hours. And that's a good day. Damn...

Actually, the Dakota Digital gauge cluster was only $525. Less than an equal number of quality gauges, indicator lights and sensors. Plus it's expandable with a number of other really cool and useful modules.
Midnightburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #124
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

I found another really "cool" unit that is compatible with Vintage Air conditioning systems. It has the same style as the gauge unit, so the theme is carried throughout the interior. I plan to put Vintage Air in both my Willys truck and wagon. And I really like these Dakota Digital products. They are reasonably priced and very high quality with excellent warranties.

I'm going for the most comfortable interior that I can afford to help with pain management, so I can hopefully drive it for longer distances. It's tough to do, but I have to try. Heated elements in my BMW seats are definitely a must. And exterior cameras will help a lot so I don't have to twist to see traffic. Many times when I twist it makes my legs go dead and I fall. This type of technology helps. I haven't gone anywhere for about 2 years. And I can't live the rest of my life being trapped at home. Even though I can't fix my spinal issues and will never be able to do what I used to do, I can at least go once in a while by making special enhancements for maximum comfort. And during the months and months between outings I can enjoy watching the HD videos I record with my Go Pro Hero 2 HD camera.

Dakota Digital is proud to release the DCC-2200 Digital Climate Control system designed for Vintage Air Gen-II Air Conditioning systems! Created to interface directly to a Gen-II Air Conditioning system, the DCC-2200 provides the convenience of full climate control.
Unread 02-03-2012, 09:51 PM   #125
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

I started looking back through my Willys wagon build photos and found a few that really spark my excitement about finishing it. I love the way this engine cage is turning out. I can't wait to finish it!!

And my custom dash.

These sweet power seats fit perfectly. They are tucked away safely in my studio just waiting for another day in the sun.

Unread 02-06-2012, 09:35 PM   #126
Tj03ken
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I can't wait to see this thing finished! and are you using a vortec max 6.0 in both of your jeeps?
Tj03ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2012, 09:52 PM   #127
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

I am. They are both set up for 6.0's. I took the 6.0 out of the wagon to use in the truck, but I have another one already in line to go back in. I love these engines. The 5.3 and 4.8 engines are awesome too.

I also took my front HP Dana 60 and rear Dana 60 out of my wagon to use in my truck for now. But I bought another full width front kingpin HP Dana 60 and rear Dana 80 that could go back in my wagon. However, I move axles from one rig to another quite often. So I may put the 60/80 in my J Truck at some point and put these 60's back in my wagon for an all around better fit.

One other thing... I may design another front and rear 4 link / coilover setup for the wagon when it comes back on line. Ya just never know what I may decide to do when the time comes.
Unread 02-06-2012, 10:09 PM   #128
Hobojo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Can't wait to see that!
Unread 02-09-2012, 11:30 AM   #129
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

Dash mods.

My dash was originally modified for my AutoMeter gauges. But I decided that I didn't want to use them for this project. I am saving them for my Willys wagon.

So, I spent a few minutes modifying it again for the Dakota Digital gauge cluster.

It will have a nice trim piece around it too. It will be cut out on the waterjet one of these days.

Here is the mockup of my iPOD stereo.

I may move it to the left or right and install the Vintage Air conditioning controller next to it. This way, everything is up where I can easily see and access it. Ode to Ergonomics!!!

More later. Today is brutal pain.
Unread 02-12-2012, 05:39 AM   #130
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

A few photos from a long time ago showing the modern GM intermittent wiper motor that now looks completely at home on my J200 firewall. A few simple modifications and now it connects to the OEM wiper linkage too.

It would have been even better if the hole was toward the driver side a few inches. But it is ok. It was not worth it to modify the linkage just to move it that little bit. And there was not enough room to rotate it 180 either. Oh well. It will look perfect once the wires are hooked up to it. The harness can be routed right through there and be held down with a clamp. I also could have used an original G/W wiper motor, but it requires a lot of bulky wiring and the control box. This one connects directly to the column.

Unread 02-27-2012, 03:22 PM   #131
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

Update on my dash:

Since I ditched my Auto Meter gauges in favor of the new Dakota Digital gauge setup, I decided to look for another unmodified early J-Truck or Wagoneer dash. I think it will look the best.

I found one for a very good price and it's on its way. It even has all the original dash components, which I don't need. But some of them will go in my shadow box that has all kinds of vintage Willys and Jeep memorabilia, including an original radio. I will still use parts of my original dash as well, because they are already sandblasted and ready to be painted. I just need the shell.
Unread 03-03-2012, 03:44 AM   #132
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

This is a nice example of a custom shell I am considering for my J200; without all the ladders. I would love to see more detailed photos of it, but I haven't found them yet.

Unread 03-06-2012, 07:52 AM   #133
JimmyFW1
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightburn View Post
This is a nice example of a custom shell I am considering for my J200; without all the ladders. I would love to see more detailed photos of it, but I haven't found them yet.

WOW! That's PURDY...
Unread 03-07-2012, 08:56 PM   #134
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

My dash arrived today.

It is in excellent condition and still has everything in it including the original radio that says Jeep right on it. Very cool!

The original gauge cluster is in excellent shape too. It shows 59,000 miles, which might be actual, because the glove box is still in terrific shape. That's a good indicator of a low mileage truck.

It has all the original switches, heater controls, defrost vents, etc. I don't need any of the OEM parts, but I am sure other FSJ owners will find some of them useful.

I will be keeping the radio for my Jeep memorabilia shadow box. Not sure about the gauges. The original speaker might work great for my CB speaker.

This was a great deal.

I also got two fake 20mm bullets machined from steel. I plan to do a custom paint scheme on one and use it as a hood ornament. I also got a blank hand grenade that I hope to use as a shifter handle. This will go well with my military tribute theme.

Unread 03-08-2012, 09:56 AM   #135
1911lover
2008 JK Wrangler 

Good finds/buys. Looks like it's coming together bit by bit. Nice.

1997 Explorer
2008 Liberty
2008 Sahara Unlimited
1911lover is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.