64 Gladiator Tribute Build - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > 64 Gladiator Tribute Build

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-06-2011, 08:03 AM   #106
JimmyFW1
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightburn View Post

I know this keeps taking this post off-topic, but I am praying for you.
As I've mentioned, my wife has (2) rods (1 on each side of her spine) from the base of her neck to the top of her hips, a little over 18" each. There are screws & bolts in each vertebrae, along with 4 fusion areas spaced throughout, and a few replacement carbon fiber discs (I tease her all the time about being part "ricer racer" now). Her advantage is that she's only 25 & heals a lot faster. It's been a year now since her first surgery & she's had 4 more since then (something always seems to keep coming loose).
I'll have to send you her 360 degree xray pics one day. They are pretty bizarre...

Unread 12-11-2011, 10:59 PM   #107
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

Thanks for your kind words friend. I sincerely hope and pray that your wife is able to endure the pain by the Providence of the only King, support from a wonderful spouse, family, and friends. It takes all of these to make it through each day. And having a hobby is a very important part as well.

MB
Midnightburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2011, 11:15 PM   #108
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

The first part of today I felt well enough to spend a few minutes finishing the upper part of my custom floor shifter. I decided that I didn't want a column shifter in this Jeep truck. It just doesn't look right in a beefy rig like this.

A long time ago I started building this thing by putting a 30 degree bend in a 1" piece of tubing and cutting it to about 18" long. I used parts from one of 2 new e-brake kits that I've had sitting around for years. The e-brake cable housing was cut to the same length as the shifter tubing. Then the aluminum ends were pressed on to each end. Now the steel cable can move smoothly with just a push of the button on the shifter handle like a normal shifter that costs quite a lot.

I like little projects like this.

I took a solid rubber shift knob and drilled it out so a brass bushing could be pressed all the way through it. The ID of the bushing matches the OD of the chrome button shaft perfectly. The cable is inserted through the sheath with a spring at the top. The knob goes on and is topped off with a nice chrome bezel from one of the original J200 dash switches. It works really nice and smooth and should last for many years trouble free.

The lever on the side is a remote ratcheting throttle control. I always put them on my Jeeps so I can increase the RPM's for running an on-board belt driven air compressor for airing up tires, running air tools and many other things.

The next thing is to put together the pivot and shift detents as well as the contact pins for LED gear indicator lights on the dash, and back-up lights. I will show photos of that later.

MB
Unread 12-12-2011, 12:13 AM   #109
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

A while back I decided to make better use of my Willys wagon grille fresh air vent that originally went to the heater. Now there are two matching holes with fog or driving lights mounted from the back side. Looks nice and very useful.

And I found a photo of an experimental grille modification I tried a few years ago. I set my Willys MB grille in place of the original just to see what it looks like. I like the look, but it would require a few modifications to make it work. It's not that far off from the early Willys wagon and truck grilles. My original is already completed, so I won't be using it most likely, but it's fun to play around with different things.

Unread 12-13-2011, 08:46 PM   #110
Tj03ken
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Midnight, This build is epic! I love the old J trucks. Someday (when i'm not 18 years old and have a job, lol) I hope to get one too. Keep on cruising on this thing it looks awesome and your doing some great work on it, despite all of your pain. Just wanted to let you know good job and that i'm praying for you that the Lord comfort you and allow you to continue to live your life to the fullest and to live for His Kingdom. Keep up the great work!
Tj03ken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2011, 07:42 AM   #111
laduckslayer
2006 LJ Wrangler 

You sir have some mad skills. Great build.
laduckslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2011, 10:14 AM   #112
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazer15 View Post
Subscribed!great job man keep the pics/progress goin. Ive been wanting to do a j truck soon after my current projects are done.Passed up a great deal on CL couple weeks ago just not ready yet.Since you like the por15 so well try some chassis saver. I use it like you use por its awsome as ive heard even better than por but I dont know.Id like to do a test sometime.Eric the monstaliner vendor sells it here on JF if your intrested.
I hope you get to build one some day. They are really sweet trucks that were way ahead of their time. As for POR15; I spent over 20 years looking for a product like this. And now that I have found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, I have stopped searching. I think I'll hang out here for a while.

Unread 12-16-2011, 12:44 AM   #113
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun_nut_2k1 View Post
I will have a garage built for it if you leave it parked here in Tucson!
I just may take you up on that offer. 70 degrees sounds like a dream compared to this ice box.
Unread 12-19-2011, 12:27 AM   #114
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

I gathered up a few more photos from the mock-up stage. I had to cut down the drive-by-wire fuel pedal. It was just too long. So I welded a custom shorter piece on to it that matches my motor mounts and shock mounts. These pics don't show the foot pad yet. Just the arm. And the springs are loose in the second pic. I may not use them. They are too stiff. I like a softer pedal, because I can't push hard enough and maintain pressure on it with my right foot now.

These DBW pedals are sweet. I am mounting the ECM, DBW module, relays and fuse panel inside the cab under the dash to help keep the engine bay clean.

Here is the bottom section of my custom shifter. It has a slot that will connect to the cable controlled gear detent and back-up light switch.

Unread 12-26-2011, 06:44 PM   #115
kenneth shields

74 j-10 project

Awsome truck ,,,where did you find the new rubber wipers 4 side windows and the wing window seals im starting 2 restore a 74 j10 and need a good parts source
kenneth shields is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2011, 08:46 PM   #116
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

BJ's Off Road. They carry everything. Awesome customer service too.
Unread 01-21-2012, 09:28 PM   #117
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

Here are a few photos of my new custom-made front spring plates with integrated lower shock towers. They are 1/2" thick. Very stout!

The extra hole in this one is for mounting my AGR hydraulic steering ram. The other end of the ram mounts to my 1 1/2" x .250" wall tie rod.

Here is an example of how the shocks mount to these towers.

It was necessary to build them like this so the lower shock mounts extend out over the king pins. That way the shocks have the proper geometry and angle in toward the frame with plenty of clearance where they mount to the upper shock tower. I will show photos of them installed later on. I forgot to get pics in the day time.
Unread 01-21-2012, 09:52 PM   #118
1911lover
2008 JK Wrangler 

Glad to see you back again. Fantastic project you have going.

1997 Explorer
2008 Liberty
2008 Sahara Unlimited
1911lover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2012, 10:27 PM   #119
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

Here are a few more photos of the 78 J10 top after it was welded on to the 64 J200. It turned out real nice and only took a very thin coat of body filler to smooth it all out for primer and paint. I will post photos of the primer and paint a bit later. But I am ruined today with pain.

Unread 02-02-2012, 11:07 PM   #120
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

I thought I would share my recent upgrade that I am super excited about!

I bought the Dakota Digital gauge cluster, senders and accessories made specifically for the 63-72 Gladiator from BJ's Off-Road. And it will work perfectly with my 6.0L engine and Howell Engine Development harness and computer.

I can't wait to get it. It should be here in a couple of days. I already have a full set of Auto Meter Gauges that work very well. But the speedometer is analog and I need a digital speedometer for this engine/transmission. And buying a digital Auto Meter speedometer costs about half as much as this Dakota Digital unit.

I talked with Dakota Digital and BJ's about all the technical aspects and options. But I purchased everything from BJ's Off-Road, because they are running a great sale right now. Everyone of these guys are so great to work with. Their customer service is exactly what customer service should be. A true pleasure.

The gauge cluster includes:
Speedometer
Tachometer
Voltmeter
Fuel Level
Oil Pressure
Water Temperature
Transmission Temperature
Odometer
Trip Meter
Turn Signals
High-Beam Indicator
4x4 Light
Brake Light
Gauges flash to warn user - For example: The oil pressure readout will flash indicating low oil pressure
Speedometer completely adjustable with any tire, wheel or gear combination
Fuel Gauge completely adjustable with ANY sending unit
And a lot more...

Here is the gauge cluster...

A sample photo of how it looks installed. These photos are from their site:

It looks so nice. I went with the blue indicator lights.

I will post up all the details of the installation soon. I only wish that I hadn't modified the dash for the Auto Meter gauges, because now I have to modify it back to accept this new gauge set up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.