64 Gladiator Tribute Build - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > 64 Gladiator Tribute Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 11-14-2011, 06:48 AM   #91
1jeep
1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Why do I have a feeling that when you are done, it will NEVER fit back into that garage?????

1jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2011, 08:46 AM   #92
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

I know what you mean. Even though I know that I had the garage door raised 6" and that it has been rolled in and out of the garage multiple times with about 4" of clearance, I keep doubting that it will fit.

I think it's the camera angle.
Midnightburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2011, 02:46 AM   #93
Gun_nut_2k1
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I will have a garage built for it if you leave it parked here in Tucson!
Gun_nut_2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2011, 01:25 PM   #94
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

I am putting together another collection of photos that show the application and results of another fantastic product!

Lizard Skin:
1. Sound Control (SC)
2. Ceramic Insulation (CI)

Both SC and CI are water-based spray-on products. They are non-toxic and can be sprayed directly as it comes. No thinning and no chemicals are required and the finish is absolutely IMPRESSIVE! It doesn't smell bad at all. Actually, it smells just like latex paint. It is UV resistant and can be painted with most automotive paints that have at least a 15% flex factor; according to a company technical representative I spoke with.

The kit I chose to buy came with two 2 gallon buckets of each product, a special cup gun and a long mixer that is made for a drill. A cordless drill worked great.

Tonight, I only have enough energy to show the Sound Control process.

There were some minor rusty areas on the front sections of the floor. It wasn't bad, but I don't do rust. So I bought new floor panels from BJ's OffRoad. Jarrod cut out the rusty parts and welded in the new panels. Then all the unused holes in the firewall were welded shut and sanded smooth. After that everything was cleaned thoroughly and sprayed with epoxy primer. Todd scuffed it all thoroughly with a scotch brite pad to ensure good adhesion. After that, all the gaps and seams were sealed up thoroughly with Seam Sealer and allowed to fully cure for 3 days.

Once it was all cured, it was time to spray on the Lizard Skin Sound Control. When it is mixed thoroughly it is the consistency of cake batter. It takes about 5 minutes to mix it really well.

This is 2 coats sprayed on at 50 psi. It is a beautiful thing.

Next time I will put together the photos of the Ceramic Insulation. It is sprayed over the SC if both products are used. There was more than enough to spray the entire cab inside and underneath, including the firewall. And there is plenty left over to spray the fender wells. Let me tell you, it is so great to see products like this. A really nice thing about this product is that it can be cleaned out completely with just running water. It literally is just like cleaning out latex paint. I hope it holds up really well. I took a 180 sanding pad and sanded some overspray a few days later just to see how tough it was. And it is VERY tough when it's fully cured. Very cool!

I can't wait to show you the rest of the process. But I am through for tonight. My pain is to the moon Alice.

MB
Unread 11-21-2011, 09:59 PM   #95
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

Here are a few photos of the final Ceramic Insualtion coating on the firewall. It is basically the same as the Sound Control coating, except that it's a darker gray/black and it is a slightly rougher texture.

Great product. I will use it from now on.

By the way, these pictures also show that all of the unused holes in the firewall were welded up and smoothed out. Plus, the entire area where the original brake and clutch master cylinders were located has been cut out and replaced with a new piece that matches the hydroboost and corvette master cylinder setup. The hole where the front wiring harness came through the firewall remains.

In upper right side of this photo, you can see that the original Gladiator wiper motor bracket has been removed. Now the 95 Chevy Tahoe wiper motor bolts up perfectly and connects to the original FSJ wiper linkage. It looks like it came that way originally. Except now I will have intermittent wipers. Woohoo!

In the upper left side of this photo, there is a new 6" long vertical hole on the passenger side of the firewall tunnel. This is where the 2 large PCM plugs will pass through to the interior. I designed a two-piece plate with a large center grommet that will bolt to the firewall and cover this hole. The PCM will now mount under the dash on the passenger side. I like to do this because I hate seeing wiring. It is very important to me to clean up the engine bay as much as possible. And hiding the wiring is a big part of it.

While I still have some energy this evening, I want to show you some additional photos of my custom shock towers and spring plates. I drew these up a while back and had them cut out on the waterjet.

Here are the lower front shock mounts that will be welded to the spring plates. I will show the final photos of how they are put together later on.

Here are the upper front shock towers. These are the sides of the towers. And not shown is a 1.5" piece of flat bar that is welded along the back edge vertically.

They get welded to these custom plates that bolt to the OEM shock mount holes in the FSJ frames. Or they can simply be welded directly to the frame. Whatever works best. All 4 of these are the exact same size. It's just the camera angle that makes the top ones look smaller.

Here are some new and improved 1/2" thick spring plates for front and rear Dana 60's. The other ones I designed a long time ago have always worked fine, but I decided to have them made wider and longer overall. Plus, the holes are bigger for the u-bolts so they will slide on more easily without the possibility of damaging any threads.

These work for rear 60's and the tube-side of a front 60.

These are for the differential side of a front 60.

These are for the tube side of a front 60. But they also have an integrated mounting hole for hydraulic steering; like AGR systems.

Unread 11-22-2011, 09:09 AM   #96
B2CARPEN
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Wow! That Lizard Skin is impressive! Looks like it applied very smooth and even, how difficult was it to control? Similar as spray-on bedliner? Curious to know how well it dampers the sound, I wouldn't mind dampening my NV3550 from the cab

IndyORV
B2CARPEN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2011, 09:20 AM   #97
ApolloXIII
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Beautiful build!
ApolloXIII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2011, 04:29 PM   #98
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

I picked up a perfect set of BMW power leather seats for $200. Even the head rests are power. Geez.

They have the switch cover for heated elements. So I will get some kits later on. I really need heat.

MB
Unread 11-28-2011, 01:36 AM   #99
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

On a side note related to my Willys wagon, I bought a really cool PTO setup from a really nice guy in Canada. It is an original Spicer unit straight out of Toledo that bolts right onto the back of the Spicer 18 t-case.

Very cool! I have always loved this vintage equipment. It's in perfect working condition.

And I already have a TH350 mated to a Dana Spicer 18 t-case Advance Adapter. All brand new just waiting to jump into action when my wagon is ready for the road. This PTO will bolt right to it. And it will be perfect for the Ramsey PTO winch my dad just gave me. I can't wait! It came out of a 48 Willys wagon originally. I think the wide track 44's I took out of a 79 Cherokee Chief may be just perfect too. We'll see. I may go with the 2 high pinion Dana 60's both front and back to go with my 41's.

If the PTO doesn't work in my Willys wagon, I will put it in my GPW.
Unread 11-28-2011, 03:55 PM   #100
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2CARPEN View Post
Wow! That Lizard Skin is impressive! Looks like it applied very smooth and even, how difficult was it to control? Similar as spray-on bedliner? Curious to know how well it dampers the sound, I wouldn't mind dampening my NV3550 from the cab
Well, I wasn't the one spraying it. I did test it and set it up, but my friend sprayed it. I got to clean the gun though. I can't move well enough to do it.

But from what I could tell while watching, it was really easy to control. It's very similar to spray-on bedliner.

And afterward, there is a HUGE difference in dampening. Before it was sprayed, I thumped the floor and firewall with my knuckles and got the typical drum effect. Afterward, it was almost totally dead. Big difference. We will have to wait to see what the insulation quality is. I plan to use Dynamat and insulated carpet on top of it, so it should be like a brand new vehicle.

I have used Herculiner and Durabak bedliner products and they are tough, but they will take your hide off if you slide any part of your body against it. It's like road rash. Herculiner is much rougher than Durabak IMO. Even my Rottweilers didn't like to stand on it, because it shredded their paws.
Unread 11-30-2011, 02:32 AM   #101
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

Well, it's the holiday season and all my helpers are spending time with family. As it should be. So things will be on hold for the next month or so.

I am almost totally bed ridden at this point because of the MASSIVE pain. But I still try to overcome it for a bit each day. I try to get outside or go for a short drive.

I will just be going through photos and creating new web-ready versions to share when I feel up to it. Man it's tough with this cold weather. I sleep a lot like a grizzly bear. It helps me get through the brutal winter days. But then I can't sleep at night bcuz the pain is not manageable AT ALL!

Oh and here are some I found of the cab with the top back on. I have better ones that show everything fully welded, sanded, and painted. But enjoy these for now. Goodnight.

Unread 12-01-2011, 07:51 AM   #102
JimmyFW1
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightburn View Post
Well, it's the holiday season and all my helpers are spending time with family. As it should be. So things will be on hold for the next month or so.

I am almost totally bed ridden at this point because of the MASSIVE pain. But I still try to overcome it for a bit each day. I try to get outside or go for a short drive.

I will just be going through photos and creating new web-ready versions to share when I feel up to it. Man it's tough with this cold weather. I sleep a lot like a grizzly bear. It helps me get through the brutal winter days. But then I can't sleep at night bcuz the pain is not manageable AT ALL!
What kind of back surgery did you have? I think I may have asked you this before. My wife is dealing with recovery some some pretty major spinal surgery, and watching her pain is agonizing in itself. I can't imagine what you're going through, but like her I'm glad you've found an outlet to keep your mind busy. It helps...

Take Care. Rest well & God Bless...

BTW, your Jeep Truck is coming along AWESOMELY ! ! ! (But somehow, I think you knew this already...)
Unread 12-01-2011, 09:03 AM   #103
B2CARPEN
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I really enjoy this thread a lot and I'm thankful to hear of your story and how you continue working through your pain each day by enjoying the hobby you love. I am in a different kind of "recovery" and I use my jeep build as one of the things in my life to help stay focused and have something to look forward to each day. My build is much slower and much different but it's still something that I continue to take pride in and can identify myself with the progress made.

I know it sometimes feels like an up-hill battle and it's easy to forget about the daily victories, but your build is proof that you continue to make the best of your life regardless of the circumstances. Thanks for continuing to put forth great efforts each day just to get up and out of bed and keep us all facinated with your current project build. I wish you the best for the holiday season, keep fighting the good fight!

IndyORV
B2CARPEN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2011, 02:09 AM   #104
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

I had my 3rd major spinal surgery November 15th one year ago. I spent almost the entire last year in a hospital bed in my home trying to recover. It has been the most brutal and painful thing ever.

In 94 I had bone grafts and bone marrow taken from my hips and other places, cadaver femur bone and bone marrow, screws and rods, all installed after being knocked off a 3 story building as a result of a drunk man being stupid. I landed on my feet on the concrete and it crushed the lower section (lumbar) of my spine. This guy was my boss and he even left me there alone and I never saw him again. He was so worried about a law suit that he moved his family to Washington 2 weeks later. He never called an ambulance and after a few hours of crawling to my Willys wagon, I somehow pulled myself up into it and drove 45 minutes home near Lake Tahoe on dangerous mountain roads. I have no recollection of the trip. I was in shock. That accident took 2 major surgeries and 5 years to recover from. Changed my life forever.

And now, almost 20 years later, my spine has degenerated even worse causing partial and sometimes total paralysis. And absolutely unbelieveable pain. I was very close to a wheelchair. I was falling all the time. And actually, I still do fall a lot because the problem has not really been fixed. The surgeon did everything he could. But there is only so much a person can do. I am having the same problems with my legs not working at times and the pain is FAR worse than I ever thought possible. It is continuous and relentless.

Here are a few of the latest x-rays that show the new screws, rods, pins and if you look closely you can see the in-fusion devices that were used this time in between the vertebrae. And look at how massive the shaded area is around my spine. That is the bone grafts and scar tissue. The scar tissue is a major problem and my new surgeon said it is growing like mad causing very bad pain and even worse nerve issues that cannot be fixed. And there is no way to predict what will happen in the future. One thing is for sure; things will not get better. They will continue to just get worse.

He said the old hardware was buried in 1/2" of solid bone that required hammering, chiseling and grinding to remove it and gain access to the screws and rods that had to be removed, so he could install the new hardware. Just that part took over 2 1/2 hours. He said it was far worse than he ever expected and when I saw him a week ago, he said the bone grafts are all grown in ok, but my back is so severely damaged that the pain will never go away. I am thankful that I can walk, but pain and partial paralysis rules my life.

Unread 12-05-2011, 03:51 AM   #105
Sgt.Fuzz
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Incredible attention to detail. My hat's off to you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.