64 Gladiator Tribute Build - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > 64 Gladiator Tribute Build

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 11-02-2011, 07:50 AM   #76
herbiehind
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightburn View Post
Yes they did. They work pretty good until they don't. They're cast iron and I have broken 2 of them and some friends of mine have also had them break. Granted, they broke under extreme rock crawling conditions.

Just curious... What was your purpose for posting about this bracket?
just as an objective viewer ( nice job btw) , i'd say he probably thought you were unaware of it's existence . not a jab at all . said the mere mortal .

herbiehind is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2011, 10:17 AM   #77
B2CARPEN
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Lookin great! I am also a fan of resto work and you are doing an amazing job! I can't wait to see it finished.

Question: I see you are a big fan of the POR15... are you spraying it on with a paint gun or are you only brushing it on? I ask because it appears to have a super smooth finish on some of the parts you used it on. I'm restoring my frame along with doing an axle swap and I'm trying to decide what to use as a base for protection. I'll top coat it with paint.

IndyORV
B2CARPEN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2011, 12:23 PM   #78
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbiehind View Post
just as an objective viewer ( nice job btw) , i'd say he probably thought you were unaware of it's existence . not a jab at all . said the mere mortal .
Oh, I didn't take it as a jab at all. I was just wondering what his thoughts were. I always enjoy hearing about other ideas and experiences.

Thanks for your kind words too friend.

---B2CARPEN--

I have applied POR15 products with a brush and a spray gun. And honestly, either way works great! Never have I seen a single stage product that can be applied right out of the can with such amazing self leveling characteristics.

It leaves no brush marks. And once it dries, nothing will take it off. I mean nothing. I have tested it with every kind of chemical I could find. Brake fluid, starting fluid, carb cleaner, lacquer thinner, acetone, MEK... No effect. I even left a part covered with fully cured POR15 in transmission fluid and brake fluid for a week and it did nothing. It was just as glossy as it was the day I applied it. And we all know how quickly brake fluid will screw up a paint job.

This is why I personally like POR15 better than powder coating. Not only is it way tougher, but I accidentally got some carb cleaner on one of the hubs that I had powder coated and it ruined the finish even though I wiped it off immediately.
Midnightburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2011, 11:12 AM   #79
tazer15
2005 LJ Wrangler 

nice

Subscribed!great job man keep the pics/progress goin. Ive been wanting to do a j truck soon after my current projects are done.Passed up a great deal on CL couple weeks ago just not ready yet.Since you like the por15 so well try some chassis saver. I use it like you use por its awsome as ive heard even better than por but I dont know.Id like to do a test sometime.Eric the monstaliner vendor sells it here on JF if your intrested.
tazer15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2011, 07:29 PM   #80
med511
1972 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightburn

Oh, I didn't take it as a jab at all. I was just wondering what his thoughts were. I always enjoy hearing about other ideas and experiences.

Thanks for your kind words too friend.

---B2CARPEN--

I have applied POR15 products with a brush and a spray gun. And honestly, either way works great! Never have I seen a single stage product that can be applied right out of the can with such amazing self leveling characteristics.

It leaves no brush marks. And once it dries, nothing will take it off. I mean nothing. I have tested it with every kind of chemical I could find. Brake fluid, starting fluid, carb cleaner, lacquer thinner, acetone, MEK... No effect. I even left a part covered with fully cured POR15 in transmission fluid and brake fluid for a week and it did nothing. It was just as glossy as it was the day I applied it. And we all know how quickly brake fluid will screw up a paint job.

This is why I personally like POR15 better than powder coating. Not only is it way tougher, but I accidentally got some carb cleaner on one of the hubs that I had powder coated and it immediately ruined the finish even though I wiped it off immediately.
Awesome project. I am restoring a 72 (same color). Will por work on the truck bed? I am at a crossroads with completing the bed perfectly (I have it close) or rhino/line x... Never considered por... Probably not a finished enough look on the bed.. Your truck is too inspiring... Making me spend more money!
med511 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2011, 07:39 PM   #81
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
lmao i never even seen this jeep B4
That's a funny response to a build thread.
Unread 11-07-2011, 11:16 PM   #82
ftpiercecracker
1990 MJ Comanche 

if you dont mind my asking, but exactly how much have you spent so far on this build.

Me and my brother have always dreamt of doing exactly what you have done here to our gladiator.
absolutly, absoluty the best build I have ever seen. Hands. Down.
ftpiercecracker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2011, 08:35 AM   #83
dukie564
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
That's a funny response to a build thread.
I think he meant he didn't know this jeep model existed.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-danger-cart-xj-1297118/
dukie564 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2011, 07:57 PM   #84
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftpiercecracker View Post
if you dont mind my asking, but exactly how much have you spent so far on this build.
Me and my brother have always dreamt of doing exactly what you have done here to our gladiator.
absolutly, absoluty the best build I have ever seen. Hands. Down.
I have exactly $24,371.52. I save all my receipts and track all my expenses. However, a significant portion of this total includes the cost of many parts that I had bought and built for another project prior to this one. So, although I didn't spend that money now, it still counts in the total. And although my truck is complete except for some minor finishing tasks, I will probably still add another $2000 in miscellaneous expedition and recovery equipment.

Normally, I would have done all the work myself, which would have saved another $5500. But because of my medical situation, I had to pay friends to help with almost everything.

If you do all the work yourself and don't go to the levels that I have gone, you could save quite a bit. Most of the cost was in the Dana 60's and all the custom parts I designed. But it is totally worth it to me because this will truly be one of a kind.

I hope you enjoy your build as much as I always do. Good luck. I would love to see your Gladiator project, so if you get a chance post a photo or 2.

Thanks for your kind words.
Unread 11-08-2011, 09:33 PM   #85
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

I spent some time this evening picking out a few more photos from my never-ending collection to post up for y'all. These are some pics showing the completed frame, except for the front shocks, rear driveline and painted/installed fuel tank.

I like the night photos:

And here are some shots of the paint booth setup. 6 mil plastic wrapped around 2x2's that are screwed to the ceiling trusses. Since these photos were taken, the big light has been removed and flourescent lights have been installed. I didn't want the fumes to land on a hot 300W lamp. It could have been trouble. This paint booth worked very well and it kept the fumes from getting to the furnace and hot water tank pilot lights and kept the smell from getting into the house.

Big thanks to Todd and Jarrod and Travis for doing all the heavy/difficult work. They really are great friends. If it weren't for their commitment to helping me with more than just my simple Willys truck project, I would still be staring at a pile of junk and none of my winterizing would be done. Plus, the Suburban my wife and I bought and gave to my Father-in-law would never have been ready. Thanks so much for all that you guys do.

I will try to go through some more tomorrow and get them posted if I feel up to it.

MB
Unread 11-09-2011, 10:36 AM   #86
GrandAZ

Love the build so far, keep up the great work.

Every time I check for updates on this build I can't help thinking about the Kevin Bacon movie "Tremors" (1990) .....

GrandAZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2011, 12:40 PM   #87
BCOWANWHEELS
1968 J-Series Truck 

how hard was it to remove and reinstall the top ? also YOU DO GOOD WORK !!!!!!!!!
BCOWANWHEELS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2011, 01:50 AM   #88
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

GrandAZ, Tremors is one of my favorite movies! It planted a seed of love for the Gladiator!

MB
Unread 11-10-2011, 09:26 AM   #89
GrandAZ

Quote:
GrandAZ, Tremors is one of my favorite movies! It planted a seed of love for the Gladiator!

MB
Haha that's awesome!
GrandAZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2011, 12:37 PM   #90
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCOWANWHEELS View Post
how hard was it to remove and reinstall the top ? also YOU DO GOOD WORK !!!!!!!!!
It just required some simple before and after measurements to make sure it was true. I have some photos showing how it was done. I will get them downloaded and create the final cropped pics one of these days.

MB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.