64 Gladiator Tribute Build - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > 64 Gladiator Tribute Build

JKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-15-2011, 09:52 PM   #46
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

Yea, Jarrod had to lay in the gravel to spray the bottom side, but it wasn't too bad. I have brushed frames with POR15 and the stuff goes on so nice, but spraying it is SO much quicker and it comes out great.

Well, I felt good enough today to post some photos of the painted Dana 60's. They were prepped and brushed with POR15, then sprayed with the forest green military paint. With the green housings and black powder coated diff covers, knuckles, hi-steer arms and tie rods, they will look really sharp. I really like this color combination.

All of the casting ridges were sanded smooth. It's just something that I've always done to make the housings look a little better. Paint can caps were used to protect the kingpin races. They fit perfectly.

Midnightburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2011, 07:48 AM   #47
BAMFpullin719
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightburn View Post
I agree. They are so nice.

I would prefer the 4L80e trans, but we'll see how this very highly modified 4L60e trans works out. I had it redone at Capitol City Transmission, because Bowman's Transmission (the place I took it to the first time) did a horrible job and charged me for things that he didn't even do. Not only that, the inside of the pan was filled with about a 1/4" of dirt and sand particals. Stuff that kept clogging up the valve body. Glen at Capitol City couldn't believe it was recently rebuilt. But I should be back in business now.

If I do have any problems again with it, I will change it out for the 4L80e. I do miss my TH400's. I never once had a problem with them. They have to be the toughest trans ever built.
if you ever decide to keep and fix the 4l60e, or even beef up a different tranny, look into MONSTER TRANSMISSION "monster in a box shift performance kit". best $600 you could spend on any gm tranny and i really dont think you will ever need to fix it again.

keep those pics coming!
BAMFpullin719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2011, 01:12 AM   #48
corndogduff

Great oden's raven!!!
UT Jeepcrew #13
NIGHTCREW
corndogduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2011, 05:10 AM   #49
EugeneTheTJ
Tar Heel

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by corndogduff View Post
Great oden's raven!!!
by the beard of Zeus!
EugeneTheTJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 07:32 AM   #50
JimmyFW1
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Wow!

This is all I can say in the title without getting vulgar here.

You've got page after page of "atta-boy's" already, and more to come.
I am in NO means as skilled as you apparently are in building your Jeeps, and don't have the funds to get to that level yet (but I've got years to go).
I have to tell you that when I started reading your thread that I was kinda pissed that you were tearing apart what seemed to be such a well preserved J-Truck. but what you're doing here is AMAZING work! ! ! Keep the pics coming, it's like slow motion Playboy model stripping for Jeep lovers, LOL...

Also, I see you mentioned spinal surgery. What did you have to have done? My wife has undergone a complete bilateral reconstruction from degenerative scoliosis. Her 5 surgeries over the last 2 years have limited my Jeep time & Jeep funds, as I'm sure you understand greatly.

But again, here's to you
Unread 10-19-2011, 11:37 AM   #51
bigdhamYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I can't find my jaw. It's somewhere on the floor. Keep up the good work man! Hope your surgery went well, my brother had to have back surgery due to scoliosis, so I can only imagine that it is presenting it's limitations

But once again,
bigdhamYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 06:06 PM   #52
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

Thanks guys for your kind words.

I understand your initial feelings about tearing down an almost stock Willys J Truck. Especially, one this rare. Believe me, I feel the same in some ways. But since the drivetrain was already converted to GM and was definitely not in any kind of acceptable condition to use as a daily driver it wasn't worth spending the money to return it to stock. If I am going to drive it, it has to be very comfortable and modernized.

Bringing these rigs into the 21st century is so much fun and much safer.
Unread 10-19-2011, 06:08 PM   #53
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

A minor update today:

Here is a stash of photos from my camera that show the leaf springs being painted with POR15 after they were taken apart and sandblasted. They were pretty badly rusted between the leafs surprisingly. But now they will be smooth and protected for a long time. POR15 is so tough that it will enhance the ride quality. Especially, with the teflon between each leaf.

The white Rancho RS9000 and BDS shocks were also sanded down and painted with POR15.

Unread 10-20-2011, 01:46 PM   #54
TOW_HOOK
1957 CJ3B 

LOOKS GREAT... i liked it the old way, seemed to be in great shape. i was worryed it was gonna be 8 feet high. but it's not
Unread 10-20-2011, 03:04 PM   #55
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

Some additional photos and info:

I tried a new product this time for my exhaust. It's called Black Velvet from POR15. It is a heat resistant paint up to 1200*. And it really looks great. It can be sprayed directly over bare metal just like the original POR15 paint except it's not glossy. It's satin and truly looks fantastic.

Unread 10-21-2011, 10:18 AM   #56
OTool
1998 ZJ 

Crawl'd and Sub'd!
Thanks for the info and pics!
I've started to get a bit discouraged on my old rebuild, but this has given me a renewed desire to get my project done!
Thanks!
OTool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2011, 11:35 AM   #57
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

It's good to hear that you are encouraged again. I hope you continue to enjoy the journey of building/restoring a true classic. There are lots of us out here who are ready and willing to help and cheer you on.
Unread 10-23-2011, 09:19 PM   #58
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Your truck is amazing. It's always inspiring to see somebody willing to dive that deep in search of greatness.
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2011, 06:43 PM   #59
Bigisland1
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Great job on this jeep!.. I love seeing the old jeep trucks brought back to life, their such a "Manly" truck!!...
Bigisland1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2011, 07:19 PM   #60
WA_KK
2008 KK Liberty 

Subscribed. Great Build
WA_KK is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.