64 Gladiator Tribute Build - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > 64 Gladiator Tribute Build

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 09-26-2011, 06:59 AM   #16
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

A friend of mine sent me a really cool military dome light that has found a new home in my truck.

I was able to make a pretty cool and simple modification to the modern GM steering column that I plan to use for the J200. It's a nice tilt column with the hi/low beam, cruise, and intermittent wiper, turn signal combo switch. But the horn button said Chevrolet. I like the steering wheel, so I cut out the Chevrolet emblem with an exacto blade and popped in the horn button from a 78 Cherokee. The emblem matches the badge on the original Gladiator grill. I think it turned out great. And the horn still works!

Dynamat Extreme - 36 sq ft of it! Should be plenty to make this truck sound and feel like a new luxury beast.

New carpet kit from BJ's. It is form fitted and insulated. I also took the floor skid plates from an 84 Grand Wagoneer that will help trim it out nicely at the door entries.

The carpet will go nicely with my new 6 way power leather seats and center console.

The original upper rear shock mounts and crossmember were removed and these 2 new square tube crossmembers were welded in place for the shocks and fuel tank mounts.

This also made a nice mounting location for the inline fuel pump and filter along with my custom made brackets.

The original wiper motor/washer pump and bracket were removed and a GM wiper motor with integrated intermittent wiper control module was mounted in its place. It works great and even has the original wiper motor arm so it connects to the OEM linkage.

And of course some new 6.0L emblems that will find a place somewhere on the body.

Midnightburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2011, 12:05 PM   #17
STEELHORSE6
2005 TJ Wrangler 

badass build sir!

i might have gone with original style paint but i dig the military theme, ive got a willys so i have a weakness for green
STEELHORSE6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2011, 07:17 PM   #18
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

I have a weakness for green as well. My favorite color. Actually, even though it is painted with a military forest green, I don't think it will look extreme military. If it was olive drab it would. But with the combination of green and black with dark smoked glass, I think it will look more like a nice green civilian truck. I have polished aluminum wheels and since they are already mounted on tires, I am going to leave them polished until it's done to see how it looks. If it looks out of place, I will have them powdercoated black.

Ok, so here is an update on the latest:

I got a huge number of parts back today from the powdercoater. They did a fantastic job. First, they blasted all the parts to put a nice fine etch on all the surfaces. Then they sprayed the semi-gloss black powder and baked everything at 400 degrees for different lengths of time depending on the type and thickness of material. They mask off the areas that aren't to be sprayed with metal tape.

A few group shots of some of the stuff. It wouldn't all fit on the table.

My custom AV4 shackles came out beautiful. I also had them do all of my spring plates.

And my 1/2" thick polished aluminum diff covers look amazing.

All 4 Dana 60 hubs that mount on the front and rear axles will not scratch now when sliding a wheel on and off. I also had them powdercoat my front knuckles and my custom front and rear AV4 caliper brackets.

Pitman arm:

Ballistic Fab high steer arms:

I also decided to have them do the front grill light covers, headlight buckets and rings. They look sweet:

My custom AV4 motor mounts:

I even had them do my exterior door handles. They were chrome, but will look much better with the forest green and black color scheme. There will be no chrome or aluminum. It will either be black or green.

I also had them do my tie rod and drag link. I didn't snap a photo of them but they really turned out nice too.

I have now decided to have them powdercoat my exhaust with a cast iron ceramic coating. I am also going to have them do my leaf springs and a box of other miscellaneous parts.

The engine is now mounted back in the newly painted frame. And all of this means that it's time to put everything back together for the final time.
Midnightburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2011, 04:49 PM   #19
STEELHORSE6
2005 TJ Wrangler 

looks killer.

I had a 77 Waggy with a 401, desert tan on slots.

my Willys is debadged but has some smaller flags and a 7 color desert rucksack cover..still miltary themed enough
STEELHORSE6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2011, 11:05 PM   #20
Viper723
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Dude! Score and a half
Viper723 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2011, 12:31 AM   #21
04WJny
1987 YJ Wrangler 

dude this is awesome! subscribed
In the process of putting in an 8.8, d30, 4.10's, SOA, and a homemade belly up skid
[CENTER][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/sloooooow-blue-yj-build-1234350"]My YJ Build[/URL][/CENTER]
04WJny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2011, 02:48 AM   #22
Buffalo99
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Nice work! Awesome build!
Buffalo99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2011, 08:09 AM   #23
JEEP_Nut1218
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Beautiful. Great work!
JEEP_Nut1218 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2011, 09:21 PM   #24
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Crawled. Nice truck!!!!!!
Unread 10-11-2011, 10:17 PM   #25
SteelBlue_WJ
Web Wheeler

schweet!

2001 Steel Blue WJ Laredo SA 4x4, 3.5" lift, Apperance Package with factory Laredo Steel Blue cladding/leather
Conferr Roof Basket with custom Randy Ellis Design light cage, WAAG grille guard and Hella lots of 500 lights

2004 Wrangler Sport, 2.5" and 31's, nothing special

"For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been.' "
John Greenleaf Whittier
SteelBlue_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2011, 11:44 AM   #26
BAMFpullin719
2000 TJ Wrangler 

great job! looks amazing and keep the updates coming.

did you buy the 6.0 brand new or pull it from a donor truck? super happy to see a gm block being used
BAMFpullin719 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2011, 01:36 PM   #27
kmuszy13
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Impressive work! Can't wait to see it finished!
kmuszy13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2011, 01:40 PM   #28
1jeep
1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

I'm a sucker for a build thread.
1jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2011, 04:01 PM   #29
94yjstocklook
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Can't wait to see it when it is finished. I love seeing old trucks and jeeps fixed up with new technology.
94yjstocklook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2011, 07:05 PM   #30
Kredtj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

DUDE! the Gladiator was a awesome truck back in the day, glad to see someone reviving it back to glory. i thought that when Mopar made the Gladiator concept, they might bring it back, but it seems not.

very nice, cant wait to see it done.
Kredtj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.