64 Gladiator Tribute Build - Page 16 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > 64 Gladiator Tribute Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 09-23-2012, 08:23 PM   #226
1911lover
2008 JK Wrangler 

Looking great!

1997 Explorer
2008 Liberty
2008 Sahara Unlimited
1911lover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2012, 09:39 PM   #227
ftpiercecracker
1990 MJ Comanche 

looking good, but. . . i dont see a selection for heat?
ftpiercecracker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2012, 11:03 PM   #228
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftpiercecracker View Post
looking good, but. . . i dont see a selection for heat?
The knob on the right controls AC and heat. It's not marked for heat, which is a little strange, but I am sure it will be just fine.
I was going to buy the LCD climate control unit, but it costs a ridiculous $425!!! Ummm, NOT!!
Midnightburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2012, 07:01 AM   #229
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

I finally decided on which power inverter will work best for my truck. I bought it at a significantly reduced sale price. It provides more than enough power for my needs and has some great features:

I chose the Cobra CPI 2575. It's a 12 volt DC to 120 volt AC power inverter with 2500 watts continuous power handling and 5000 Watts peak power. This unit contains a 5 volt USB output, modified sine wave, thermal shutdown, reverse polarity protection, low voltage shutdown, low voltage alarm, 3 grounded AC receptacles, LED volt/watt meter and has remote on/off capability.

It arrived today and I am very impressed with the look and quality.

Unread 09-30-2012, 10:09 PM   #230
ftpiercecracker
1990 MJ Comanche 

what exactly do you plan on running with that thing? I dont suppose you could run a little 110 buzz box with it could you? cause that would really be nice.
Unread 10-01-2012, 12:22 AM   #231
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

I am running dual batteries with an isolator and main disconnect switch. I will be running everything with 12 volts of course. But if I ever need to use my Ready Welder II, I'll need to switch to 24 volts. However, switching to 24 volts without disconnecting the batteries from all vehicle systems would destroy everything.

I struggled with trying to figure out how to accomplish this goal for quite some time, because disconnecting the batteries would erase the ECU and stereo memory/presets, among other things. And it would also mean that the engine wouldn't run well until the ECU re-learned everything. Plus, it would be a pain to reset all the stereo presets, etc.

So, I finally found a solution. I bought an $8.00 9V Computer Memory Saver that is designed to maintain the memory of the ECU when the power source is disconnected. It's quite a simple device that uses a standard 9-volt battery and plugs into any cigarette lighter style power outlet.

So, first I plug in the memory saver, then turn off the master switch. Then I can switch the batteries from parallel to series and I'm ready to plug in my Ready Welder II spool gun. I will have quick disconnects at the front and rear of my truck.

Here is the memory saver:

Here is the master switch:

The above switch is a Medium Duty Main Battery Disconnect Switch with a key lock. It is for 12, 24 and 32 volt electrical systems with a capacity rating of 250 amps continuous, 360 amps intermittent. It is also sealed for marine applications.

Here are the quick disconnects:

I also have one end of my jumper cables set up with the quick disconnects:

Here is the Ready Welder II:

My winch will be set up the same way, so I can quickly connect it whenever it's needed. It's also an added level of security leavinwg it disconnected until it's needed, which minimizes the risk of accidental operation, etc.

I haven't yet found a switch that will allow easy conversion back and forth without having to disconnect battery cables. But I will find something or design my own.

UPDATE: I finally found a very cool blade switch that allows easy switching back and forth between parallel and series without having to disconnect battery cables and all that BS. It took me forever to find this switch.

It's a double-pole, double-throw switch that connects two 12-volt batteries either in parallel for maximum current and charging or in series for 24-volt use. Opening the switch disconnects both batteries for storage or electrical work.
It's surface mounted and it is only 4-3/4"W x 6-3/8"L x 2"H. So, it will fit nicely in my center console.

I gave them a call and they said it will work perfectly for what I'm trying to do.
Unread 10-01-2012, 12:33 AM   #232
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftpiercecracker View Post
what exactly do you plan on running with that thing? I dont suppose you could run a little 110 buzz box with it could you? cause that would really be nice.
I just want the opportunity to run any number of things. It's mostly a "just in case" thing. But, tools like drills, grinders, impact wrenches, etc. Laptops, chargers for 2-way radios and cordless drills, and my Engle Refrigerator.
Unread 10-02-2012, 04:00 PM   #233
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

I found another cool thing that I am putting in my Gladiator. These are LED ATO fuses that light up whenever they burn out.

I know these aren't new or really that big of thing, but everything I do now is based on creating maximum comfort and minimizing pain. And by being able to immediately see which fuse is out, means I won't have to mess around under the dash testing each fuse or pulling them out one at a time, or trying to read a diagram at night on the side of the road, while I try to find the one that's blown.

2 seconds and I'm back on the road. When you've been through everything I have been through, it's really interesting how focused ya get on these little things. I just can't afford to take any risks and get hurt worse than I am already.

In addition to these new LED fuses, I have included 4 blue LED courtesy lights under the dash. All the accent lights and Dakota Digital gauge lights are blue as well.
Unread 10-06-2012, 01:10 AM   #234
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

My friend Travis dropped by this afternoon to help make some minor modifications to my new seats so they will fit correctly. In my limited experience with modifying FSJ's, it's very difficult to install any other seats than the originals, because the transmission tunnel is so ridiculously huge. And without making mods to the tunnel or the seat sliders & mounts, they sit way too high. And since I already bought new carpet that is molded to fit the shape of the tunnel, I chose to modify the seats.

It only took about 10 minutes for each seat and I am very happy with the results. They now sit at the perfect height. They aren't fully installed yet, but from here on it's a simple process. They are going to look terrific and they are very comfortable.

Here are a few pics of the mockup with one of the battery boxes behind it:

I'm very excited to finally get to this point, because once the seats are installed the center console can be made. My dad picked up the plywood for me months ago and it is at his house along with all the woodworking tools. It will be covered with a combination of carpet, black vinyl and 1/8" round hole perforated stainless metal.

More about that later. After the console is completed, all the electrical components can be mounted inside. It will be sweet.
Unread 10-06-2012, 01:37 AM   #235
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

By the way, Joe will be finishing up the paint in the next few weeks. I can't wait, because the dash, cage, bed, winch, grille, and a few other miscellaneous parts will be painted. Plus, I have a few items that still need to be powder coated.

Once the cage is painted, all the weatherstripping and new glass all around can be installed. I will call a mobile glass installer to do the windshield. Then I will drive it over to Jone's Glass to have the rear sliding window installed and they will cut and install new dark smoked glass in the doors.
Unread 10-07-2012, 08:39 PM   #236
ftpiercecracker
1990 MJ Comanche 

You must pardon my curiosity, but where did/are you getting the doe for such an incredible build? I ask so that i will know how to shape my career choice.

And arent your seats all power? I am suprised you didnt get some, power, black leather ones out of a caddy.
Unread 10-08-2012, 01:19 AM   #237
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

I have worked very hard all my life and I have saved my money and invested in many different things. I always set priorities and realistic goals. And I make detailed plans to achieve them with realistic timelines based on the resources that surround me. I learned at a very young age that nothing comes easy and important things take time.

I started with nothing and I have lost everything many times over. But I learned that discipline, hard work and honesty with yourself and those around you will always lead to opportunities.

Remember too, that a build thread like this can be deceiving, because it appears that I am spending massive amounts of money in a very short period of time. But that's not the case. I bought many of the parts for this build years ago. In fact, lots of these parts are left over from other projects. And I acquire a lot of parts through trading, bartering or selling things. That is one of many advantages that come from building strong relationships and helping people.
And when I buy new parts, many times I wait until I find them on sale.

Another important thing to remember is that no matter what, always put life's long list of responsibilities first. Never spend money that you don't have. I paid off all my debt years ago, except for a tiny bit that remains on my house. Debt that is so easy to get when you are young, becomes a chain around your neck and robs you of opportunities later in life. Life can and will change. The way things are today won't necessarily be the same years, months, days, or even minutes from now. Life holds all kinds of sneaky little surprises. It also holds tremendous opportunities. Remain unburdened financially and you will avoid most of the pitfalls and be able to take advantage of the opportunities when they come along.

One of my most favorite quotes...
"Live like no one else today, so you can live like no one else tomorrow."
Unread 10-08-2012, 01:29 AM   #238
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

Oh, and as for the seats... I have 3 different sets of seats. 1 set is a brand new set of 6-way power leather seats that are for my Willys wagon. 1 set was power leather, but I "borrowed" the power motors to build power steps for my Gladiator. The seats are still in perfect condition and may be used at a later time for another project or sold/traded... Who knows.
The set that you see going in my Gladiator now are brand new non-power seats that I bought from a friend who no longer needed them after he sold his motor home.
Unread 10-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #239
scramboleer
1982 CJ8 

MB,

This build thread - both your workmanship and philosophies - truly define quality. I feel like I'm reading the modern day counterpart to Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

Thank you.

Scramboleer
scramboleer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2012, 10:05 PM   #240
ftpiercecracker
1990 MJ Comanche 

Thank you midnightburn for such a true and honest response. I did not expect such a deep and thoughtful reply to my question. Even as a 20 year old, I too know the value of honesty and hard work. When it comes to manual labor I am usually the guy that gets told "slow down your makin us look bad", but i will admit that when it comes to college and school work/homework i am the laziest bum on the planet. It has been a tremendous struggle for me and i am only a sophmore.

When it comes to your philosophy on dept i could not agree more. I cant tell you how much I hate to see my parents stuggle under the dept they have accured, even as rediculously frugal as they are. Dept = Death

thank you very much for your words of wisdom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.