64 Gladiator Tribute Build - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > 64 Gladiator Tribute Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 04-15-2012, 01:21 AM   #166
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

My Vintage Air Gen IV air conditioning system will be here this week. I only ordered the main unit, horizontal black anodized 3 knob control panel, black firewall bulkhead and the hose fittings. I already have a new condenser and sealed AC pump from the 6.0. That saves quite a bit. The hoses won't be much at all. Right now though, I am just hooking up the heater/defrost part of it.

Midnightburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 04:54 AM   #167
1911lover
2008 JK Wrangler 

I continue to be highly impressed everytime I see these pictures. This is truly a build worthy of publication in a magazine. Your commitment to this project, research and design in every detail is, simply put, amazing and I would bet any one of the major 4x4 magazines would love to do a feature story on it when completed.

I'm certainly no expert regarding restorations/builds of this nature but your attention to detail, quality of parts and components would, I'm sure, impress those who know far more than me about these matters.

Perhaps as important in many ways is the pride you must have regarding the friendships involved in getting this project done. Your friendships with those who have assisted you throughout this project have to mean a great deal to you. The pride in the finished truck, the memories and the knowledge that your friends think a great deal of you is perhaps as important to you as the finished product.

1997 Explorer
2008 Liberty
2008 Sahara Unlimited
1911lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 04:35 PM   #168
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

Joe was back at it today finishing up the body work and prep on the doors. Beautiful job as usual. He takes great pride in his work. This weekend he is planning to finish the last step of prep and paint.

Some pics:

He also got the cool dome light finished:

The front fenders are really only the last parts the will require body work. Everything else is straight and will just require basic prep and paint.
Unread 04-23-2012, 11:23 PM   #169
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

Joe spent most of Sunday working very hard to finish the bodywork on doors. It was a bit tricky, but he knocked it out of the park. I couldn't ask for anything better. He ran out of daylight, so no paint. But they are completely ready to spray.

Here are a few photos of my Vintage Air Magnum IV heat/air conditioning system install. This unit is designed for larger SUV's, so in this pickup cab it will melt the ice right off my bones and freeze sweat into little ice crystals in seconds. I chose the Magnum, because it won't have to work at maximum power all the time to make the interior just right. This, along with dark tinted glass, Lizard Skin SC and CI, Dynamat Extreme and an a fully insulated carpet kit, should make owning this vintage Willys Jeep Gladiator something special.

The evaporator housing fits beautifully behind the dash and the shape sits perfectly against the firewall/trans tunnel. The original glovebox won't fit without some modifications or placing the housing lower or further toward the passenger side. But since I have a large center console and many other storage areas available on this truck, I am going to leave the glovebox off. This will leave plenty of room for the hoses and electrical stuff. Plus, I am going to keep the glovebox door in place, so it can be opened for excellent access to just about everything behind the dash. Another really nice thing about these units is that everything mounts behind the dash; unlike the original heater system, which was very bulky and took up a ridiculous amount of space in the engine bay. Now that area can be used for mounting dual batteries or any number of things.

Another really nice thing about this unit is the 3 knob switch panel. It is compact and fits perfectly where the ash tray mounted. I don't smoke, so a simple panel will take its place.

Then my stereo will go next to that. And my CB will fit on the right side. Very convenient and clean.

Unread 04-26-2012, 10:12 PM   #170
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

Joe got some more paint work done today. The inside of the doors are complete. They turned out beautifully.

The AGR steering box is also painted and ready to reinstall. The powder coated pitman arm looks great with the green and aluminum top cover.

He also got the outer grill primed and ready for paint.

He is planning to finalize most of the paint this weekend. Hopefully, everything but the pickup bed and all the miscellaneous parts that will be painted black. The hinges, window frames, etc.

I am so happy with the quality of work he is doing. It's a great feeling to be able to depend on someone who has the same mindset on quality and attention to detail.
Unread 04-26-2012, 10:16 PM   #171
SaggyWagoneer
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Wow man, the paint that's gonna be hidden by panels looks better than the paint on my whole truck, I think it was carnuck ( I'd verify but looking it up might take awhile, this thread has become epic) that this build rivals if not surpasses a lot of the stuff we all see in the 4x4 rags, and I hope to see it in one soon.
SaggyWagoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2012, 03:10 AM   #172
1911lover
2008 JK Wrangler 

As always Midnightburn, this truck is looking absolutely amazing, and as the poster above noted, "epic".

1997 Explorer
2008 Liberty
2008 Sahara Unlimited
Unread 04-28-2012, 02:37 AM   #173
Maximus856
1968 J-Series Truck 

Im more excited about the completion of this the the start of my own, haha.
Maximus856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2012, 10:17 PM   #174
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

Joe spent the day finishing up more paint. The hood, outer grill, doors, battery boxes, steering box and lots of other miscellaneous parts.

Sorry I haven't been online much lately. I have been in such a downward spiral of pain that I can't sleep at night and during the day I am forced to stay in bed most of the time. These cycles are endless and absolutely ruthless. I try so hard to overcome them for as long as I can, but my nerve damage and bone pain are too much.

The hood is ready for insulation on the bottom side. Then the mechanical components and support rods can go back on. They are painted semigloss black. The door hinges are also done.

I also had him paint my ammo can/battery boxes. They are now ready for mounting and drilling holes for battery cables.

The Dynamat is going on nicely and it sure makes a HUGE difference. It is very light and easy to work with too.

Now the back wall of the cab will be fitted with 1/2" MDF. It will be painted/sealed and secured in place. Then some of my new black carpet will be cut to fit and glued on. This MDF backing will be the primary support for the custom center console that will hold the stereo amp, ECM, relays, auxiliary fuse panels and more.

Unread 04-29-2012, 06:25 AM   #175
1911lover
2008 JK Wrangler 

There is no end to the coolness of this thread. The awesome factor is a 10 and anyone following this build has to be looking forward to final completion with fascination.

Congratulations on making our salivary glands working overtime.

1997 Explorer
2008 Liberty
2008 Sahara Unlimited
Unread 05-01-2012, 11:37 PM   #176
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

Thanks for all your kind words. I am glad it's coming out as good as I had hoped. It keeps my mind on positive things.

My CB is on its way. I decided to go with a Uniden Bearcat 880 this time. It is simple and nice looking with some very nice options for a great price. I won't be able to put it in my dash as originally planned, but that's ok. It will fit just fine in my custom center console.

Unread 05-07-2012, 09:39 PM   #177
Maximus856
1968 J-Series Truck 

This thread is getting entirely too close to page two of the FSJ section... Any updates?!
Unread 05-07-2012, 10:10 PM   #178
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

Sorry friend.

Joe has been painting away and he is almost done. He is doing a fantastic job too.

But, I am in another terrible incapacitating pain cycle that has me up at night and bed ridden most of my days. It always comes back around whenever I try to be more active. My nerve damage is something terrible.

I will do my best to go through my photos and get some posted.

MB
Unread 05-07-2012, 11:10 PM   #179
Maximus856
1968 J-Series Truck 

Ahh take you're time. I'm sure noone was going to let this fall to the depths, but I just wanted to make sure it didn't. Do what ya need to do to maybe get some relief...as much as I don't want to say it, we can wait
Unread 05-17-2012, 09:40 PM   #180
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

I found some AC vents that come in the new Jeep Commanders. They are only $15 each and come in 5 different colors. I like the style, because they close off completely, rotate and point any direction. They will fit the style of my interior perfectly.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.