64 Gladiator Tribute Build - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > 64 Gladiator Tribute Build

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-30-2012, 01:12 AM   #151
Maximus856
1968 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightburn View Post
Pretty much, yes. All that is really required is a spacer between the ammo box lid and top of the battery. The spacer will be non-conductive and match the shape of the indents on the top of the Optima battery (cut out on the water jet). It will be the exact same width as the ammo can so it can't move. Simple and very secure with the lid snapped shut.
Gotcha. With how well you're building this truck, I wasn't really thinking you would just let it bounce around on there Seeing it reminded me of how I forgot to strap the battery down on an old f250 I had. Didn't take long to see burn marks from the battery arcing after the truck shut off.

Maximus856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2012, 04:59 PM   #152
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

That sounds like it was quite exciting for a few minutes.

More significant progress today on the cab. It couldn't have been a more beautiful day. Absolutely perfect. It was in the 70's and the warmth felt so good on my bones!

Joe started this morning with one primary goal. To true up the body lines and then spray multiple coats of high fill primer. It turned out beautifully. At the end of the day he sprayed a quick guide coat on everything. The guide coat makes it possible to clearly see high any low spots during the final sanding and shaping process. Tomorrow he will finalize the sanding then spray a final smooth sealer coat of DP90. After that.... It's all ready for paint. This is an exciting stage and I am very happy with the results. You will never even know that a 78 top was welded on to a 64 cab.

A few photos of the day.

Midnightburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2012, 07:25 PM   #153
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

I ordered my black projector headlights that I will test out on this truck. They have the same H4 bulbs that I have in my Hella headlights. But the design and dark look of these will fit the theme and colors of this project perfectly. These are the same lights they put in the new Chevy Camaro's.

I decided to go with M715 military style tail lights instead of the stock looking lights from a J200 that I have been saving for it.

The other cool thing is that I can remove the blackout filter and all the bulbs. Then install my new 12 volt red and clear LED bulbs and have tail, turn/brake and backup lights all in one flush mount housing. I decided to go with these lights rather than the similar Hummer lights that have the big mounting bezel. This will look cleaner.

I also received my rearview mirror. Auto-dimming, outside temp and compass. Looks to be very high quality.

Unread 04-01-2012, 09:43 AM   #154
1911lover
2008 JK Wrangler 

Great to see the truck coming along and looking fantastic. Your idea for heating the windshield solvent sounds good and your oven is another cool idea.

Looking forward to seeing the step system you designed also.

1997 Explorer
2008 Liberty
2008 Sahara Unlimited
1911lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2012, 04:58 AM   #155
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

Thanks friend. I better send the .dxf files over to be cut out soon, so the step kits can be installed or I won't be going anywhere in this thing.

BTW, Joe got most of the final wet sanding done today. It is amazingly smooth and straight. He had to leave early, so no final sealer or paint. But it's ok. Family comes first. Next weekend the paint should be complete on the cab. It is an exciting stage. I can't wait to see the final color!

The rest of the parts will go much faster. They have been blasted and will require very little body work. We talked about priorities and the doors are next. Once they are painted, they can be reinstalled along with all the new weatherstripping and glass. Then the cab will be completely sealed up and safe to roll outside to make room for all the remaining parts to be prepped and painted. I will have to call in the troops to help move everything around again.

At each stage, I will do my best to continue taking photos.
Unread 04-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #156
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

A few sneak peaks of the painted cab. I really love the color.

The interior is now sealed with POR15 and then green on top. So it is completely sealed and rust proofed. Next it will be covered with Extreme Dynamat top to bottom with new black carpet over that. The roll cage will be black as well. The BMW seats are black leather. The dash will be green with black accents. The windows are all dark glass. I want the interior to be mostly black with just a bit of exterior color blended in. It is going to have blue LED interior accent lights for night driving. But will have clear LED courtesy lights.

More to come.
Unread 04-10-2012, 06:49 PM   #157
1911lover
2008 JK Wrangler 

Looking very good. Can't wait to see it all painted.

1997 Explorer
2008 Liberty
2008 Sahara Unlimited
Unread 04-10-2012, 07:12 PM   #158
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Unread 04-11-2012, 05:05 PM   #159
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

The cab paint is now complete. It turned out beautifully.

I am so excited to finally see it finished and ready to put back together. All that is left to do now cab-wise is to brush the cage with POR15.
Unread 04-11-2012, 05:10 PM   #160
SaggyWagoneer
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Wow that's really clean! Nicely done. The jambs sure look a lot nicer without the globs of factory cold weld oozing out all the seams, look forward to seeing more pics.
SaggyWagoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 05:34 PM   #161
scramboleer
1982 CJ8 

Amazing paint and attention to detail. I like the wall art too.
scramboleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 05:42 PM   #162
1911lover
2008 JK Wrangler 

Very very nice. I am impressed and happy for you as you seem to be quite pleased, as I would be also.

1997 Explorer
2008 Liberty
2008 Sahara Unlimited
Unread 04-11-2012, 06:45 PM   #163
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

Thanks. Yes, this is an exciting time for me. It is nice to experience something positive for once.

Especially, with the recent very bad medical news related to my last spinal surgery and my long-term outlook along with the relentless and brutal pain that I endure 24/7, it's so refreshing.

I am so thankful to Joe and all my other friends who have done so much to get these big items completed. It means that I can now do some of the small things on the list that only take a few minutes at a time to complete. Things that are light duty and give me something to do that I truly love.
Unread 04-14-2012, 09:04 PM   #164
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

Well, today was another day of great progress. Joe primed and painted my custom fuel tank.

After that, he sanded and painted the front of the bed, so it could be installed. It will make it much easier to finish the sides when it's mounted up high. The bottom is already painted.

While he was at it, he painted the military dome light housing and inner grill/radiator support.

Then, in the afternoon, 4 other friends showed up and installed the fuel tank then lifted the bed up onto the frame. It's now ready for the final body work and paint. The inside of the bed and the rocker guards will be sprayed with Vortex just like my wagon.

The top of the bed measures a little over 5'. I think I am supposed to have a pilot's license.

It sure is a huge beautiful beast. There will be just a tiny bit of fender flare trimming at the bottom edges, but not too bad at all.
Unread 04-14-2012, 10:18 PM   #165
Viper723
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well now that is just a job well done!!!

"The walls between art and engineering exist only in our minds"-Theo Jansen
Viper723 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.