64 Gladiator Tribute Build - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > 64 Gladiator Tribute Build

Advance Adapters SYE KitsARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 03-12-2012, 12:48 AM   #136
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

I ran across this J20 long bed tonight and have to say that this is the closest to how mine will look when it's done. Similar color, same wheels and tires. Except these are 42" IROKs and mine are 41's. It is exciting to see this. I have even bigger plans and exciting designs going into mine. But his is a beauty for sure. By the way, this shows exactly how I plan to trim my front fender flares on the front bottom edge.

I can't wait to see mine completed. Especially, standing next to my Willys wagon. That will be quite a day if it ever comes.

I got some pretty bad news about my spine last week. So I have been struggling with digging even deeper for strength to carry on. But that I will do.

Midnightburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2012, 09:22 AM   #137
1911lover
2008 JK Wrangler 

That truck is good looking, but having followed this thread from the beginning I will wager that overall, yours will be a few levels above it when finished.

I sincerely hope you can somehow overcome or at least learn to live with your physical disabilities. They sound formidable and enough to make most people give up entirely.

I wish you well young man.

1997 Explorer
2008 Liberty
2008 Sahara Unlimited
1911lover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2012, 10:27 AM   #138
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

Yes, my truck is far more modernized and complete. Every aspect is being dealt with. He was still asking $28k for it in the beginning. Now he is down to $15k, which is almost down to a good price. His interior is raw and the engine bay is very messy. A project like this can either suck ya dry or become an investment (almost). But you have to go all the way and finish it or it's just a painted old truck that will cost someone $15k more to finish it. I feel bad that he is selling it, because he was doing a nice job.

I appreciate your kindness and support. Let me say this:

I have known pain of every kind since the moment God breathed life into me. I do not fully understand the purpose of it, but He has not left my side. He gives me strength to carry on and picks me up when I fall. I think without this life of pain to keep me humble I might run off and never be found at all. I know that everyday is a challenge and full of wicked ways. So I will stay right here beside the keeper of my days. I know this life is fleeting and soon eternal shines. So nothing can defeat me as I am a King's child.

I mean this sincerely. I will never quit. And one more thing. I never forget that there are millions who have lived through more hell than I can imagine and gave their lives so I could live this wonderful life of freedom and peace. Compared to them I have been through nothing.

MB
Unread 03-15-2012, 11:44 PM   #139
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

A few minutes ago I started thinking about a custom setup that preheats my windshield fluid to more quickly clear ice and snow off my windshield and to help break the wipers free if they get stuck. It might even help the wiper blades last longer. I can't really scrape my windshield off anymore without a lot of pain and serious risk of falling. Plus I must limit my exposure to cold temperatures or I lock up like a rusty old ratchet.

I haven't looked into it much, but it sounds like a good idea so far, as long as it doesn't overheat the fluid and cause the frozen windshield to crack. My old J200, Willys wagon and heck even my wife's Jeep TJ, don't have the modern luxurious heating element to do the job. So a new possibility for a custom kit that addresses all these issues is on the drawing board.

I did some quick looking around and found a few kits that do this, but they aren't exactly inexpensive. The kits I found are electric, which is nice. And I haven't thought about it enough yet to figure out how to make an electric unit. Although, it wouldn't take me long to figure that out I suppose. And I may go that route. But what about something else like wrapping a copper or steel tube around one of the header tubes? It could work as long as the line from there on was made of high temp rubber and the spray nozzle was metal as well. It sounds good in my head, but I would have to think on it some more.

The other idea I just had is to unify the heated washer system with my on-board oven that I use for heating up hot dogs, a can of soup or chili, or just about anything. This system works directly off a heater tube that runs from the header, exhaust manifold or collector up to a stainless steel box that mounts inside the cab on the transmission tunnel back under the dash or anywhere really. I call it the "on-the-go-oven". It's sweet because it's accessible from inside the cab and I designed it with a heater control valve and a temp gauge. It even gives me an option to heat up water for hot chocolate. Now, if I could figure out how to bake cookies on the road, I would really be into some serious heavenly cruising.

With this oven, I won't have to get out and lift up the hood then climb up on a slippery bumper and try to fish lunch off of a 200 degree engine in the wind, rain and snow. When I was younger it was not too big of deal, but no more of that. The oven is double walled and fully insulated too, so it doesn't transfer any heat into the cab. That is especially nice in the summer. Running AC, while heating up lunch.

So... A simple modification to my on-the-go-oven to include a windshield washer fluid heater might be just the ticket. I will put some more thought into it and let y'all know what I come up with.
Unread 03-16-2012, 05:24 PM   #140
Jsinclair
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightburn View Post

So... A simple modification to my on-the-go-oven to include a windshield washer fluid heater might be just the ticket. I will put some more thought into it and let y'all know what I come up with.
What about getting a fish tank heater and modifying it to sit into the windshield washer tank. Then just running power to it and using a switch to turn it on. I've considered this in the past, just don't have a huge need for it yet.
Jsinclair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2012, 12:10 AM   #141
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

A friend of mine is finishing the last bit of bodywork in preparation for paint. He is very good at this stuff. I suppose he should be since he does this and much more for a living. He owns his own business... The Car Doctor! So, tomorrow everything will be ready for the final coat of primer and then paint. One thing I really like about this build is that the door entry area is going to be much cleaner and smoother than OEM. I always like these little upgrades. Most people don't care about things like this, but I always have.

Some photos of the day.

More after he is done tomorrow.

My PA-108 ammo boxes arrived today. Great news..

The Optima batteries fit perfectly. The lid closes perfectly and seals. No clearance issues at all.

Unread 03-24-2012, 09:56 PM   #142
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

Joe came by today and finished up the last bit of body filler and sanding. Then he sprayed the cab with DP90 Epoxy Primer. It turned out very nice. Next weekend he is going to spray filler primer and perfect a few body lines. Then it's finally time for paint.

A few photos:

Once the cab is done, then everything can go back together. It's a great feeling to finally be rid of the great pumpkin Charlie Brown. Thanks so much to Joe and a few other friends who stopped by to help today. It really cheered me up. This is really going to be a beautiful classic truck.
Unread 03-25-2012, 07:43 AM   #143
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
This is really going to be a beautiful classic truck.
Couldn't agree more.
Unread 03-25-2012, 08:50 AM   #144
teamgreen666
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Keep up the great work the truck is look very nice and I can not wait to see it all painted and the bed on
teamgreen666 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2012, 10:55 AM   #145
ApolloXIII
2000 TJ Wrangler 

It's really beautiful, nice job and keep it up!
Unread 03-25-2012, 07:18 PM   #146
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

It is amazing how nice it looks with just one coat of primer. It almost looks like it's painted. I really like this Jeep in black more than I thought I would. It's tempting stick with it. But I will continue with the original plan and have Joe paint it forest green. There will be black accents to balance it out.

My design for electric steps is now complete. They are similar in function to those that are on the market, except they won't cost me anywhere near the ridiculous prices companies charge for theirs.

My steps are much better suited for extreme conditions, because they are completely encased in a steel housing when retracted. This way, they are not exposed to weather and cannot be damaged by a rock or other things, because they don't just tuck up against the rocker panel. They will drop down when the door is open and retract when it closes. I have large courtesy lights tucked up under the cab to maximize visibility at night.

It is going to make it very easy for me to step up into my truck and safely step down. I will show the final product when they are completed and installed.
Unread 03-26-2012, 06:39 AM   #147
pendragon
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It is amazing how nice it looks with just one coat of primer. It almost looks like it's painted. I really like this Jeep in black more than I thought I would. It's tempting stick with it. But I will continue with the original plan and have Joe paint it forest green. There will be black accents to balance it out.

You could always reverse the colors. I did a AK-47, the guy told me black with olive drab accessories. When he picked it up he said he meant the opposite, I offer to correct it, but he said it looked better that way.

To be honest I have to admit I wanted to keep it for myself!

Beautiful Jeep you are building there. I am impressed with your craftsmanship.
Unread 03-26-2012, 06:42 PM   #148
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

True. I have considered it. But I don't want gloss black. I would go with lusterless military black paint. We'll see how it all ends up. There will definitely be flat black in the scheme.
Unread 03-30-2012, 12:13 AM   #149
Maximus856
1968 J-Series Truck 

Looks awesome man. With everything you have going on, you're an inspiration to us able-bodied but lazy types!

Have you considered doing a semi-gloss black? Love the idea for the ammo can for the battery. Are you just going to run a strap of sorts across the battery to secure it?
Maximus856 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2012, 12:46 AM   #150
Midnightburn
1964 FSJ Gladiator 

Pretty much, yes. All that is really required is a spacer between the ammo box lid and top of the battery. The spacer will be non-conductive and match the shape of the indents on the top of the Optima battery (cut out on the water jet). It will be the exact same width as the ammo can so it can't move. Simple and very secure with the lid snapped shut.

As for motivation and desire, I have lots of it. But I have to use mental energy now, since that's all I have left. I don't get to do the physical stuff much anymore. I wish I could though. Drives me nuts to watch! But designing things at least helps me keep my mind on positive and productive things.

Everything will be satin; both the green and black.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.