$600 73 j4000? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 05-22-2017, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Trevlaw
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
$600 73 j4000?

I found this truck near me the other day. I've been looking for a cheap wagoneer or J truck that I can use to build a 4500 KOH class inspired rig over the next 4-5 years. I went and checked it out today and I think it looks pretty solid. The owner thought the front axle was bent, but upon closer inspection it seems that the axle is straight still, but the driver's side leaf spring is bent at the rear post mount from when the driver hit a curb with it while driving. I only saw a couple kind of bad rust spots around the truck, the frame seems fairly solid. It is a J4500 I believe and has the Borg Warner transfer case as well. The owner repainted the Jeep about 10 years or more ago so I think that has helped a lot with preventing the rust in the tub. I peaked at the floor boards and they all seemed to still have factory brown paint and no rust.

It took us about 20 minutes to get the engine running, but there just wasn't any fuel getting to the engine, it might have been empty as it started after he filled it with more gas. I don't know much about engines, let alone the 360, but to me it sounded pretty good, and it continued to fire up immediately after we got it started the first time. I put the rear on jack stands and ran the tires, I didn't hear any funny noises from the tranny or transfer case, but the pinion bearings in the rear diff sound like they're pitted and need to be replaced eventually. The brakes are all shot and need to be replaced, but the front closed knuckle 44 was converted to disc brakes, but the owner has all of the vehicle years that I need to find parts for to replace everything up front. It also has some decent looking wheels with some Falken AT's with lots of tread left. The exhaust tubes below the doors is just for show apparently, the factory exhaust is still all hooked up, I don't know who's idea that was haha. I'm hoping it just needs brakes and maybe some steering components to be semi reliable driver, but I have my TJ so this won't get driven much if at all, just a build rig for a while.

I'm looking for some other opinions on this as a decent starter truck. I don't have a ton of money to spend on this at the moment, I will have more to get started cleaning it up after the summer is over, but it will just be parked at my house until I get back at the end of the summer. The way I see it, it seems to be a decent truck and if I could get it for around $600 or even a bit more I would still be able to resell it and make some money after fixing the brakes if I ended up needing to sell it for the money, but I'm not planning on that.

Here are all the pictures I took of it today and a video of the engine running and the oil pressure. There is definitely some odd previous owner ideas under the hood that explain the miscellaneous wires in some places. It was only his work truck for hauling and dumping stuff since 1991 I think. There is an auxillary vacuum pump that the owners son believes is because there is an aftermarket cam in the 360 that didn't produce as much vacuum. There is also a couple relays here and there, but the engine did run fairly well I think.

Thank you in advance for everyone's input, just trying to see how good or bad of shape this truck is in and a ballpark for what it's worth.

https://goo.gl/photos/FoWfvd1ucwXYrTuj7

https://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/6097185977.html

I want a J-Series
TJ Build:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-29-2017, 09:45 PM
j10jim
1980 J-Series Truck 

If it runs and your happy with it, I say go for it. Looks pretty solid. Now owning a jeep especially a Full Size Jeep is not cheap, but not everyone has one so you are ahead there. Check out ifsja.org and FSJNETWORK.COM. Those are both sites dedicated to the FSJ.
Get it and then I can say 'Welcome to the club!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.