500 mile round trip? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > 500 mile round trip?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-15-2013, 12:17 PM   #1
1987GW
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

500 mile round trip?

Hi all,
I'm taking the wife to the beach for a week this summer and she'd like to take the GW, but I'm not sure. It's an 87GW, with 132K miles on the original motor. All fluids recently replaced (Oil, Coolant, Trans, Difs), full tune up w/plugs/wires, points, dist cap), new starter solinoid, charged A/C, new lift/shocks and tires. It currently runs like a top, with no issues, and only ocasionally leaves a couple drops of oil on the driveway.

The question is - would you roll the dice and drive 250 miles one way, then spend a week at the beach (driving on the beach of course), then 250 miles back? I have AAA, and extra gas cans, just in case...but would hate to lose a day or two b/c of breakdowns.

Appreciate that every one's experience with these vehicles is different, some good, some not so good, but interested in your experiences. Would you roll the dice???

1987GW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

yes.

Drove my 76 j10 1200 miles after replacing heads with ones off a 79 a week before. Had girlfriend and all the animals, and my heavy camper shell. 14.5 mpg somewhere around 200,000 miles. Tossed in a can of REstore just to be on the safe side (all my long trips are in old vehicles, any trip with more than a day driving gets a can)

Sounds like you've gone through most everything. Take tools (ALL the tools I need for mine fit in a small tool bag (one of those old military ones. think they were for first aid or something?)) Take fluids. Maybe an extra fuel pump (I run all mine electric, and carry a spare) Keep an eye on the temp while you're running your ac.
Unread 05-15-2013, 12:42 PM   #3
Mishimoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleontks View Post
yes.

Sounds like you've gone through most everything. Take tools (ALL the tools I need for mine fit in a small tool bag (one of those old military ones. think they were for first aid or something?)) Take fluids. Maybe an extra fuel pump (I run all mine electric, and carry a spare) Keep an eye on the temp while you're running your ac.
+1. Sounds like you have everything covered. I would go for it.
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 01:18 PM   #4
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

If its running good and has never really caused any problems, go for it.

I take my wag on trips like this a few times a year. its a 73 with an interesting history, and a motor out of an 87 with 155k on it when i put the motor in!

If you are confident to drive it on a regular basis, i wouldn't hesitate to take it on a fairly short trip, especially if its standard (no crazy elevation changes, not towing, etc). If it's super hot or super hilly or you're weighed down, just take your time. As said, bring basic tools, basic parts (I keep a spare starter solenoid, coil, u joint or two, fuel filter, wire, fuses, bits of hose), and some fluids and you're good to go.

Heck, the first time I drove to Ely, NV for a camping trip literally the minute i got on the highway my truck was spraying gas out the gas cap and surging all crazy. The truck died on me twice while in Ely (once about 15 miles from a main road), and once climbing to the summit on the way out of town. It was nothing a little bit of patience and a calm collected attitude couldn't take care of.

I repeated this trip one year later after working on some bugs....and did it towing a 1400 pound camper. Not a single hiccup!

Do it, it's worth the looks, and the adventure.

Quote:
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now! - Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 02:08 PM   #5
1987GW
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Thanks guys for the vote of confidence. Had thought about the fuel pump already, but wasn't 100%. I do drive it almost daily - some short trips, some almost 50 miles, and knock on wood, haven't been stuck yet I figure that the worst that could happen is I leave it at the side of the road and go to the nearest Jeep dealer and buy a new Grand Cherokee
Unread 05-15-2013, 05:58 PM   #6
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

I'll be taking my 90 with 160, 000mi to Mi. this summer, 850 miles one way. Of course I'll also have a tool box with me. The thing is, I can fix most anything on it enough to get me from being screwed in the middle of BFE. Most anything, I don't need a list. You drive it near daily, go for it and have an adventure.
RockRollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 04:59 PM   #7
revelc
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

I was stranded on the way to Colorado from Texas in my 85. I changed all the fluids, replaced the carb, intake, dizzy, plugs, wires, radiator(with an aluminum one), battery, fuel pump and filter, cam, and little things here and there before I left. One thing I forgot to check was my FUEL LINES. Simply didn't think about it.

I HIGHLY recommend at least checking their condition before your trip and/or bringing a spare section of it. Just my free .02
Unread 05-17-2013, 07:30 AM   #8
1987GW
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
I was stranded on the way to Colorado from Texas in my 85. I changed all the fluids, replaced the carb, intake, dizzy, plugs, wires, radiator(with an aluminum one), battery, fuel pump and filter, cam, and little things here and there before I left. One thing I forgot to check was my FUEL LINES. Simply didn't think about it.

I HIGHLY recommend at least checking their condition before your trip and/or bringing a spare section of it. Just my free .02
I've actually thought about getting these changed anyway, just due to age. My A/C has lost it's charge so it has to go in the shop to fix that, so may have the fuel lines (and pump) done while it's there. Thanks...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.