5 speed trans - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > 5 speed trans

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 03-05-2004, 08:53 AM   #1
bearbldit

5 speed trans

I have a 1988 comanche, 6 cyl, with a blown 5 spd trans. Can anyone tell me what trans they used in that year? This trans seems to be non existant for a direct swap, so are there any other jeeps that used the same trans?

bearbldit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2004, 08:14 AM   #2
75SV1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearbldit
I have a 1988 comanche, 6 cyl, with a blown 5 spd trans. Can anyone tell me what trans they used in that year? This trans seems to be non existant for a direct swap, so are there any other jeeps that used the same trans?
The 88 used the BA10/15 Peugot transmission. I have the same year truck. You can look on E-Bay for one. I hear they are a bit expensive to rebuild, but see them on E-Bay rebuilt for the same price as an AX-15. You can replace them with an AX-15 or NV3550. I would look at the Adavance Adapters website for info on this swap. I have seen a tech article on the AX-15 swap somewhere. I am in the process os swapping in a NV3550. If I were swapping in an AX-15(97?-up), I'd go with one with external slave cylinder. The NV3550 has an external slave cylinder. You might need the transmission cross member and mount for a Comanche or Cherokee that had the AX-15 in it. I haven't gotten to this stage with my swap.
Tom
75SV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2004, 09:46 AM   #3
1337j33px0r

Don't waste time or money on the ba 10/5, it's junk.

what you need for an ax15 swap:

you need to change the pilot bushing to one from an ax15 equipped Jeep (they're all the same)

you need an ax15 and the transmission mount plate+mount from a cherokee (YJ/TJ ax15s will require modification due to the clocking of the transmission's bolt pattern)

if it's an external slave model, get the entire master cylinder/slave cylinder setup from the cherokee along with the clutch pedal itself (pushrod hole sizes are different, and swapping the pedal is easier than modifying the cylinder)

you may need to press out a stud on the master cylinder (somewhere along the line, they pressed a stud into the cylinder, to make it harder to install or something like that)

if it's 4wd, the driveshafts will all fit, but you will need the ENTIRE 4wd shifter linkage from the cherokee.

if it's 2wd, I do not know if the driveshaft will work (depends on differences on output housing length) the transmissions have damn near identical case lengths.

worst part of the job is getting the old pilot bushing out, once you get that done, it's cake from there on out.
1337j33px0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2004, 10:28 AM   #4
75SV1

He would also need a different input shaft, if he has 4WD. The old one should be 21 spline and a new one 23 spline. I think you want the short one shown on the Advance Adapters website.
Tom
75SV1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.