5.9 cranking slow - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > 5.9 cranking slow

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 10-27-2009, 11:01 PM   #1
lazyguy
1985 CJ7 

5.9 cranking slow

I just bought these two J Trucks, '75 and a '76, the ;76 has a 360 and TH400 mated to quadra-trac trans case. I hooked up a known good battery cleaned all battery, starter, and solenoid connections but the engine still cranks slow. I know it probably needs all new batt cables and the one to the starter. Is there anything else that could possibly cause this to happen? I was also wondering if anyone has ignition wiring diagrams for these years. I think i have the BID ignition system and can't find a full proof diagram. The haynes manual i picked up covers too many years and is too generic. Does anyone know what color wire is the supposed resistance wire for the coil when running? The reason i don't mention anything about the '75 is that the whole engine side harness got fried and I have yet to put the new harness in, but hopefully when the '76 runs I'll just use it as an example.

lazyguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2009, 10:18 AM   #2
CSP

Both of those J-trucks would have had the Prestolite ignition system from the factory. There is no resistance wire with this ignition system.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2009, 11:09 AM   #3
lazyguy
1985 CJ7 

What is the prestolite system because I have only read about the BID, SSI, and points systems on j trucks. and all have some sort of resitor wire.
Unread 10-28-2009, 01:20 PM   #4
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

Clean all connections, replace cables, insure solenoid is operating properly. Might check the starter brushes as well. The Ford style starters are notorious for eating them down, causing slow cranking.
jeepdaddy2000 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2009, 12:15 AM   #5
lazyguy
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000 View Post
Clean all connections, replace cables, insure solenoid is operating properly. Might check the starter brushes as well. The Ford style starters are notorious for eating them down, causing slow cranking.
The current starter is old but new, it was new about a year ago but was never really used and just sat bolted to the engine.
Unread 10-29-2009, 12:30 AM   #6
lazyguy
1985 CJ7 

here is the truck in question.
Unread 10-29-2009, 11:53 AM   #7
lazyguy
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
Both of those J-trucks would have had the Prestolite ignition system from the factory. There is no resistance wire with this ignition system.
I have looked at new igniton coils for this year and it says right on the coil, use with an external resitor. I am confused.
Unread 10-29-2009, 12:04 PM   #8
Pathkiller
1974 CJ5 

Will it start and run? Check the timing. Too much timing advance will cause a hard start condition.
Pathkiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2009, 06:08 PM   #9
lazyguy
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathkiller View Post
Will it start and run? Check the timing. Too much timing advance will cause a hard start condition.
Has spark and fuel it just cranks way to slow to ignite and run.
Unread 10-30-2009, 12:27 PM   #10
CSP

Regardless of what generic, replacement coils say there is no resistor wire with the Prestolite ignition system.

Even if it did, that would have nothing to do with your slow cranking starter.

Saying it has spark and fuel doesn't answer the question about timing. You need to check it.
Unread 10-30-2009, 10:26 PM   #11
lazyguy
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
Regardless of what generic, replacement coils say there is no resistor wire with the Prestolite ignition system.

Even if it did, that would have nothing to do with your slow cranking starter.

Saying it has spark and fuel doesn't answer the question about timing. You need to check it.
in the course of trying to get it to turn over faster i removed all the spark plugs from one side and it made a little difference in the crank speed. I will check the timing just to make sure. What is a ballpark timing reading for this engine?
Unread 11-02-2009, 09:45 AM   #12
CSP

It turned over faster because you removed the element of compression in the cylinders.
Unread 11-02-2009, 03:28 PM   #13
lazyguy
1985 CJ7 

Will I get a timing reading even thought is turns so slow?
Unread 11-09-2009, 12:10 PM   #14
Pathkiller
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyguy View Post
Will I get a timing reading even thought is turns so slow?
No, but you should be able to set it to TDC and get it to run good enough to use a timing light on.
Pathkiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2009, 02:58 PM   #15
lazyguy
1985 CJ7 

Good news, I ran a dedicated 4ga ground cable from the starter mounting bolt to the battery ground and what a major improvement it made. Now I just have to put the battery ground to the block instead of where the old owner had it, bolted to the A/C bracket. It still didn't start but its getting there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.