4x4 will not engage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > 4x4 will not engage

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 01-01-2004, 11:08 PM   #1
mikguess

4x4 will not engage

I just got an 84 grand wagoneer. the 4 wheel drive has not been used in 9yrs, and will not engage. any ideas of what is going on? how to fix? thanks,
mike g

mikguess is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2004, 03:19 PM   #2
jeep_olllllo_
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikguess
I just got an 84 grand wagoneer. the 4 wheel drive has not been used in 9yrs, and will not engage. any ideas of what is going on? how to fix? thanks,
mike g
yeah, connect the front driveshaft lol, what's up man? Glad to see you finally joined the Jeep owning nation. I think you made the right choice! Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but I only know stuff about good Jeeps A friend like me is hardly a friend at all. Naa there's no such thing as a bad Jeep. Later.
jeep_olllllo_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2004, 05:21 AM   #3
Bob J

could be a couple things

most common is the vacumn motor on the front axle is jammed up or broken, this is sometimes fixed as easily as wacking it a couple times.

do you hear anything at all when you throw the lever when sitting still?

sometimes it takes a little bit of time while moving for it to engage as they get older. When going down the highway at about 50 throw the lever and drive 1/2 a mile and see if it goes on.

Sig v.55
Bob J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2004, 02:42 AM   #4
86lerado

If it's got locking hubs make sure they are locking in.Good luck
P=pocket
86 CJ-7 Laredo 4"lift 37"SSR's 30frt/44rear,3.31gears,258,auto/300t-case,caged,custom bumpers.
Wifes 92 YJ 2.5"springs,2"body,35"MTR's30f/35r,4.88gears,airlock front, locrite rear,4.0/5spd.,caged ,custom bumpers,6000'warn.
86lerado is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.