4x4 will not engage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > 4x4 will not engage

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 01-01-2004, 10:08 PM   #1
mikguess

4x4 will not engage

I just got an 84 grand wagoneer. the 4 wheel drive has not been used in 9yrs, and will not engage. any ideas of what is going on? how to fix? thanks,
mike g

mikguess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2004, 02:19 PM   #2
jeep_olllllo_
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikguess
I just got an 84 grand wagoneer. the 4 wheel drive has not been used in 9yrs, and will not engage. any ideas of what is going on? how to fix? thanks,
mike g
yeah, connect the front driveshaft lol, what's up man? Glad to see you finally joined the Jeep owning nation. I think you made the right choice! Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but I only know stuff about good Jeeps A friend like me is hardly a friend at all. Naa there's no such thing as a bad Jeep. Later.
jeep_olllllo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2004, 04:21 AM   #3
Bob J

could be a couple things

most common is the vacumn motor on the front axle is jammed up or broken, this is sometimes fixed as easily as wacking it a couple times.

do you hear anything at all when you throw the lever when sitting still?

sometimes it takes a little bit of time while moving for it to engage as they get older. When going down the highway at about 50 throw the lever and drive 1/2 a mile and see if it goes on.

Sig v.55
Bob J is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2004, 01:42 AM   #4
86lerado

If it's got locking hubs make sure they are locking in.Good luck
P=pocket
86 CJ-7 Laredo 4"lift 37"SSR's 30frt/44rear,3.31gears,258,auto/300t-case,caged,custom bumpers.
Wifes 92 YJ 2.5"springs,2"body,35"MTR's30f/35r,4.88gears,airlock front, locrite rear,4.0/5spd.,caged ,custom bumpers,6000'warn.
86lerado is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.