4x4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > 4x4

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 03-11-2013, 09:49 PM   #1
74jeepster

4x4

On a 74 j20 what is the low range cable for? Obviously it has something to do with the low range just not familiar with the whole cable thing. where can I get another one.

74jeepster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2013, 09:59 PM   #2
dbabicky
1975 J-Series Truck 

Like my 75 J-10, the cable run's back under the body to the low range unit that is attached to your Quadratrac transfer case. When you pull the cable it engages the low range. When pushed in it disengages it.
As far as replaciong the cable, just go get any push-pull cable of the correct length,and diameter, swap it out and you're good to go.
If you're really tired of the cable, find a 1976 or newer FSJ with the Q-Trac and low range, and adapt the lever style shifter to your truck. The lever will go through the floor right next to the tranny hump by your right foot below the front of the seat.
Unread 03-11-2013, 10:16 PM   #3
74jeepster

So is that a whole different low range, because I have the typical shifter set up and low range on it also. probably a dumb question but haven't owned many old jeeps like this. Thanks for your help.
Unread 03-12-2013, 08:37 AM   #4
dbabicky
1975 J-Series Truck 

Are you saying you have a shifter on the floor that has 4 LO on it also? If that's the case, someone has removed the Q-Trac and installed a different case. The cable shift to Low range is only found with the Q-trac, and is a seperate unit that bolts on to the left hand side of the Q-Trac case. The unit is about 10"-12" in diameter and about 9"-10" in length.
If someone has swapped T-cases on you,(to other than another Q-Trac), the Low-Range cable is useless.
Unread 03-12-2013, 08:44 PM   #5
74jeepster

yep I have one on the floor and it even works, I will have to crawl under there tomorrow and see if I can see the other parts you described. Thanks.
Unread 03-13-2013, 07:01 AM   #6
timgr
1975 CJ6 

Possibly converted to a Dana 20 from Quadratrac? And the cable is vestigial?
1) '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps. 2) '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, KOs, 7600 GVWR 3) '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top 4) '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2013, 12:43 AM   #7
dbabicky
1975 J-Series Truck 

yep, no Q-trac anymore, cable is pointless.
Fixin' to make my 75 J-10 the same way. Gonna pull my frehly rebuilt TH400/Q-Trac and replace with a T-18/D-20.
Unread 03-19-2013, 06:24 AM   #8
Al_77cj5
1977 CJ5 

I have the same plan for my 76, Got the tranny, transfer case, and fly wheel now i need to find clutch pedals.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.