4WD not working on 91 Wagoneer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > 4WD not working on 91 Wagoneer

Gear Installs at CCOR SpecialSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 04-04-2013, 07:14 PM   #1
Gante

4WD not working on 91 Wagoneer

The 4WD in my 91 Wagoneer does not seem to work. I flip the switch from 2WD to 4WD but I hear nothing. I do drive it back and forth to try to engage the 4WD but nothing happens. The Hi/Lo lever below the seat seems to be stuck and I can't move that at all, up or down. I must admit that I am not very familiar with 4WD in general.

What is the exact sequence to set the truck in 4WD? I believe I am doing everything correct as far I know but wouldn't hurt to double check myself.

Also, how can I start troubleshooting my truck to identify the issue?

Thank you,

Gante is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2013, 08:44 PM   #2
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

I can't hear a thing from mine either, but it does go in. My indicator light does not work, and I can't tell just driving. However if I floor it from dead stop, I know its in. I can also get into 4lo.
The sequence is to flip the lever at any speed (unless you have manual locking hubs, THEN DON'T unless your locked in), you should be able to roll for and aft to engage as well. Check 4lo, it won't engage without it being in 4wd.
Now onward, are your defroster and heater controls functioning correctly, if yes then trace the vacuum lines to the actuator on the t-c, inspect for any cracks or leaks. Actuator could be gunked up, may need to force cycle it by hand to free it up.
If defroster and heater are not working correctly, make sure you have manifold vacuum supply to the vacuum ball on the fire wall (sets high behind the air cleaner). You should be able to trace vacuum to the switch from there, and from the switch to actuator.
RockRollin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2013, 08:40 AM   #3
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Post up a couple of photos of your TC. Let's confirm the model.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2013, 11:53 AM   #4
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Did they use a different tc than 229 in 91?
RockRollin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2013, 01:04 PM   #5
super98lsc
Web Wheeler
1999 WJ 

Never know what was swapped.. But my 90-91 should be a 229 stock. Same as Rock says I cannot hear mine but it works. I do have manual Warn hubs and thankfully I was smart enough to think hmmmm guess I should lock them before trying the 4wd... Then I read on this forum that if I had not my VC would have gone boom :-).
===================================
00 WJ 4x4, 4.7 stroker, turbocharged,..lots more..
01 WJ 4x2 4.7v8 Limited (needs valve job)
90 Grand Wagoneer 401 Edelbrock Heads, Lunati .510/.527 FT Cam, Edelbrock RPM Air Gap, Holley HP 750, Thorley Headers, HEI, Electric Fan w Digital controller,4" lift 31x10.50 Goodyear Duratrac's on Pro-Comp Wheels,new interior, seats,seals,Alpine and JL full system, Remote HEI, Clifford 2 way with remote start,windows,tailgate.
96 Cherokee Country 4dr/2x2 White/Tan 3" Lift Sahara 18" Wheels 32.5"'s 99up head and intake- for sale soon!
super98lsc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2013, 05:03 PM   #6
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

I just figured we should check before giving shifting/trouble shooting advice. It's possible it got swapped.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
Unread 04-05-2013, 05:10 PM   #7
Gante

Quote:
Originally Posted by olliehopnoodle View Post
Post up a couple of photos of your TC. Let's confirm the model.
My TC is a 229... I believe that is the stock unit.
Gante is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2013, 09:04 PM   #8
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Cool. I am not familiar with its operation so I will not try to offer additional advice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.