4low keeps popping out - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > 4low keeps popping out

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 10-17-2013, 03:29 AM   #1
88wood

4low keeps popping out

I have an 88 GW and am having an issue when I go from 4hi to 4 lo. After I engage the 4wd I put it in neutral and pull up on the floor selector for 4lo. It goes in OK, but after I put it back in drive and move forward a few feet it pops out of 4 low. I have no idea what to loom for or do with this since I'm still new to fwd. Any info would be helpful. Thanks

88wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 06:30 AM   #2
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

A couple things come to mind. It could simply be that the shift linkage is out of adjustment.
Or, it could be that your engine, trans, and T-case mounts are all worn enough to allow the drive train to torque(twist) enough to pull the T-case out of lo when throttle is applied.

There is a chance that it's something internal that's worn, like a shift fork, or gear or chain. However, unless it's making noise, the linkage or mounts are more likely to be the cause.

To adjust the linkage,
1: Disconnect it at the T-case, and manually put the T-case into lo.
2: Move shift lever into lo position.
3: make adjustments to linkage so that it will reconnect with arm on T-case, and reconnect.

If adjusting the linkage doesn't fit it, take a look at all the mounts.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.