401 rebuild help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > 401 rebuild help

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 05-14-2013, 10:11 AM   #1
Kris82
1976 FSJ Wagoneer 

401 rebuild help

I'm putting together my 401, and was wondering if anyone that has the oil mod, what gasket did you use for the intake, did you bend the valley pan gasket, over the oil mod tube or just go with regular gaskets. Also rtv on the back seal instead of the rubber gasket right?
thanks for the help, can't wait to get the wagoneer up and running again!

Kris82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #2
revelc
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris82
I'm putting together my 401, and was wondering if anyone that has the oil mod, what gasket did you use for the intake, did you bend the valley pan gasket, over the oil mod tube or just go with regular gaskets. Also rtv on the back seal instead of the rubber gasket right?
thanks for the help, can't wait to get the wagoneer up and running again!
I haven't personally done it. But I have seen people cut their valley pan to accommodate the the line.

What intake will you be using?
Unread 05-14-2013, 10:42 AM   #3
Kris82
1976 FSJ Wagoneer 

it's jut the stock intake. I was contemplating an edelbrock, but wasn't sure if it was really worth it
Unread 05-14-2013, 10:51 AM   #4
revelc
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
it's jut the stock intake. I was contemplating an edelbrock, but wasn't sure if it was really worth it
Well can you explain why your running the oil line? If your engine isn't seeing really high RPM you can run an extra quart or get a higher capacity oil pan. Also what timing cover and gears are you using?

My 401 felt restricted by the Performer. From what I hear from local AMC guys and some in the AMC forum, a Performer RPM is a good option for a warmed over 401. If its a stock rebuild you will see a difference with the Performer and a 4BBL.

Would you mind telling us a little more about your build and purpose for it?
Unread 05-14-2013, 11:01 AM   #5
Kris82
1976 FSJ Wagoneer 

of course, i have a 76 wagoneer, the 360 broke a piston rod , because of the oiling issue.
I found a 401 and decided to use it as a rebuild, I have completley gone through it, new pistons, bored honed, heads done. Not a racing rig by any means, but the shop that did the machining suggested the oiling mod. Since I had the oiling issue with my 360 i didn't want to risk it on the rebuild. I bought a new timing cover, and am using edelbrock chain and gears on that. I have a 4 barrel edelbrock that was on the 360. hopefully not missing anything.
Unread 05-14-2013, 11:27 AM   #6
revelc
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
of course, i have a 76 wagoneer, the 360 broke a piston rod , because of the oiling issue.
I found a 401 and decided to use it as a rebuild, I have completley gone through it, new pistons, bored honed, heads done. Not a racing rig by any means, but the shop that did the machining suggested the oiling mod. Since I had the oiling issue with my 360 i didn't want to risk it on the rebuild. I bought a new timing cover, and am using edelbrock chain and gears on that. I have a 4 barrel edelbrock that was on the 360. hopefully not missing anything.
Sorry about the 360 man. My 360 started knocking after I revved it just shy of 5,000. That's why I ended up finding a 401 as well.

The 401 is a great engine.

What RPM range will you be running it to?
If its under 4,500 you can run an extra quart safely.
If its over 5,000 the oil mod is a good idea but not a must until you get way up there.
If your cranking 5,500-6,000 an internal pick up larger capacity pan is a good idea.
If your running 6,000-beyond a good timing cover , an external sump higher capacity pan, and the valley oil mod is ideal.

There are a lot of AMC guys that wind their engines way past anything I ever would and don't have the mod.

If you've already had it done so be it. It would make me sleep a little better at night. If it ever blows though you will lose oil pressure.

I personally just ordered the Bulltear timing cover with HRC gears and external dual oil filter mod. Next I'm getting a Canton road race pan with internal pickup. This combo should be good to 6,500. But I won't be cranking it past 5,500 because it has cast pistons and my needs don't require anything that high.

Some people may disagree with me on here but I err on the cautious side.

Hope you found some useful information in there.
Unread 05-14-2013, 11:36 AM   #7
Kris82
1976 FSJ Wagoneer 

no worries, i got the whole thing for 600 bucks out of a field, and while the 360 ran, it was a great time, can't wait for this 401 to really enjoy what the wagoneer has to offer, after the engine, the interior is getting redone! always something!
Unread 05-14-2013, 12:07 PM   #8
revelc
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
no worries, i got the whole thing for 600 bucks out of a field, and while the 360 ran, it was a great time, can't wait for this 401 to really enjoy what the wagoneer has to offer, after the engine, the interior is getting redone! always something!
Right on. Mine was a torque monster. In 4 low it crawled over some steep hills just above idle.

Great find for the $$ on your part.

Oops. I forgot to answer your question. I think the performer sits higher over the valley but some still have interference with them

. If necessary you can cut an old valley pan up. It would act like a splash shield. Cut off the runner part of it,cut a hole for the line, then attach it to the bottom of the intake with short self tappers and run intake runner gaskets.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.