3in lift kit and stupid track bar - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > 3in lift kit and stupid track bar

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 01-29-2011, 06:46 PM   #1
1jeep
1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

3in lift kit and stupid track bar

Ok, so first and foremost let me start by saying my best mechanicing days are apparently over! That being said, I knew that changing the springs would give me SOME crap but I did not expect this. I put the lift on my LJ, I kind of knew what to expect. I started off by doing the driver side first. Everything went fine until I tried to button up the spring. The axle shifted just like it did on my LJ, but me and a buddy was able to shift it back. I donít have that help today. I loosened up everything on both sides and still couldnít get it to move enough to be able to get the spring back in the shackle. I ended up taking the passenger spring lose at the shackle as well to see if it would move a little. NO luck. I even went and bought a come-a-long strap. I hooked it to the passenger side frame rail and then to the front of the spring. But when I tried to pull it together it just lifted the whole axle. Eventually I had to undo the track bar at the axle. Sure enough the springs went on like a breeze. Unfortunately for me, I waited way too long to do that. Now Iím so tired that I donít have the strength to finish the rear. Plus I didnít want to tear into that one until I got some info. It too has a track bar. Iím hoping that the rear goes like my LJ did. I didnít have near the trouble with the rear that I did on the front.

So now that I have the kit on the front, I do I get the axle moved over enough to attach it back? Iím thinking that it canít. Not without a track bar relocating bracket. But Iím not supposed to need it with just a 3in lift. And that info comes from a couple of companies.

So what say you?

Thanks
Bryan

1jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2011, 11:23 PM   #2
BJ's Off-Road
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

Anything over 2" and you'll need the track bar relocation bracket.

If it were me... I would just take the track bars off and throw them away. They were an add-on (which is why they are one of the only metric fasteners), the early rigs (up to 83 or so) had the exact same suspension and springs but didn't use a track bar.
Unread 01-30-2011, 10:42 AM   #3
GCX2450
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Is there any specific benefit(small or otherwise) to having a track bar? My project is a SOA and I was debating with myself whether it would be worth it to fab up a mount.
GCX2450 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2011, 07:13 AM   #4
1jeep
1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCX2450 View Post
Is there any specific benefit(small or otherwise) to having a track bar? My project is a SOA and I was debating with myself whether it would be worth it to fab up a mount.
Really, the only big thing I can think of is that it helps keep the axle from twisting under acceleration. Other then that, as far as locating the axle in the right place, I marked the old U-bolts and made sure I bolted them back up in the same place. Plus itís hard to mess it up when you have the factory spring plates (or perches) welded in place. I donít see how you could get it off centered. But it could keep it from swaying side to side too. Hell I don't know. All I know is it had them, the kit doesn't say you have to dich them and they don't sell brackets for it so I'm kind of pissed.
Unread 01-31-2011, 08:01 AM   #5
BJ's Off-Road
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

Don't the leaf springs locate the axle in place?

And you reused your ubolts? That is a big no-no.

Here are track bar brackets:

http://www.bjsoffroad.com/CartGenie/prod-759.htm

Thanks.
Unread 01-31-2011, 08:28 AM   #6
1jeep
1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ's Off-Road View Post
Don't the leaf springs locate the axle in place?

And you reused your ubolts? That is a big no-no.

Here are track bar brackets:

http://www.bjsoffroad.com/CartGenie/prod-759.htm

Thanks.
As far as I can tell the springs DO locate the axles. The spings go on the factory perches that are welded. You can't put them on any other way. There are dowel pins on the springs and you have to install them so that the pins on the springs go in the perches.

I had to re-use one of the ubolts. RC sent me two sets of u-bolts for the pumpkin side. So one of the u-bolts were too big. But I'm calling them about it today. Nothing on their site says anything about having to change anything. If I knew that I would have went with the 4in from BJ's or something. It's more, but those kits come with everything.
Unread 01-31-2011, 08:50 AM   #7
GCX2450
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

The way I look at it is that with taller lifts you increase the angle between the track bar and horizontal. Subsequently, because the track bar is solid, when the suspension compresses the track bar would apply force horizontally on the springs and try to bend the perches. So, my argument is that unless there's a specific reason to run them that I can't figure out, I'm gonna leave them off. More than likely it has to do with stabilizing the suspension at higher speeds.
Unread 01-31-2011, 09:28 AM   #8
1jeep
1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCX2450 View Post
The way I look at it is that with taller lifts you increase the angle between the track bar and horizontal. Subsequently, because the track bar is solid, when the suspension compresses the track bar would apply force horizontally on the springs and try to bend the perches. So, my argument is that unless there's a specific reason to run them that I can't figure out, I'm gonna leave them off. More than likely it has to do with stabilizing the suspension at higher speeds.
That's actually a pritty good point! I never thought about that. I could see it not letting you articulate because the track bar would be fighting the springs. Thus binding up. With that being said, at some point something would have to give. Either you would not get any flex or something will break.
Unread 02-01-2011, 03:12 PM   #9
1jeep
1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Ok, so I’m going to sum this all up.

And this is just my personal opinion, likes and dislikes.

I started out by asking and reading reviews of lift kits for the GWs. Most said the Rough Country kit was too rough. More said the BJ’s kits were better. They said the same thing about the Wrangler kits. I really liked my LJ kit. I called a few places and no one answered. I run a call center, there is no excuse for not answering your phones when you want to sell something. Because I had a really good experience with Rough Country before (they took great care of me when my shocks went out prematurely and upgraded them for free) I decided to go ahead and buy from them again. I ordered Monday and the kit was here Wednesday. They threw in the shock boots and steering dampener for free.
The main reason I liked their kit was because at 3in you were not supposed to need anything but the springs, and at one point that might have been the case. But once I installed the kit I could tell that wasn’t the case now. The spring rate is so high that once installed there is almost no sag. Because of that the actual amount of lift is a little more then 3in. This makes it impossible to attach the track bar. Now this is just my personal opinion, but I feel if it came with it then you need it. I WANT my track bars on. I understand you might not need them. But that doesn’t matter. They advertise a kit that is made so that you can use them. The picture of the GW on their site has the track bar on it (you can just barley see it). Their GW is the same model as mine. They said they installed the same kit on their GW. They must not have followed their own instructions. If they had, they would have seen that their spring shims were on backwards for this model. When I pointed this out to them the guy didn’t even know GW’s had track bars and didn’t know it had SOA in the rear. So that tells me they almost NEVER sell these kits. His answer to this was to get a strap and pull the axle over enough to force the bar in place. I explained how that would put way to much force on the brackets and at some point something would give. To me that was a stupid idea. I told him I was not looking for a refund, but more of a way to fix it. I asked if they could check to see if another track bar would fit. He answered back so fast I know he didn’t even try to think about it.
Because of this I decided I would just send it all back. But I can’t do that because I can’t take off work to wait on UPS to pick it up. Again no help, instead he suggested to get a friend to wait. At this point I have decided to keep the kit and make due. I’ll buy a track bar bracket from BJ’s, drive it for a while to see if it settles. And save up so I can do the SOA lift next year. I explained that this was my 2nd kit from them. I believe in return customers. My son will be driving soon and he wants a 90’s Cherokee. But you can bet you last dollar I will not buy from Rough Country.

In short, if you sell a product you should check to make sure that it is what you say it is and does what you say it does. Because they didn’t do that and didn’t want to help fix it not only did they lose a repeat customer they also will have one MORE person out there suggesting to others to stay away.
Unread 02-01-2011, 04:40 PM   #10
GCX2450
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Sounds good to me. I think you'll be happy with a SOA/shackle flip. I did mine with the kit from BJ's which is made by a fab company. It lets you go with two options; a bolt in for the shackle flip brackets, a weld in for the flip bracket or a little of both. Mean while the SOA is simply a well made set of spring perches that must be leveled and welded in place. My project has been a ground up tear down rebuild, so I did mine when I had it down to pretty much just the frame and axles. That made everything extremely easy. Now I have the engine, tranny, tank, suspension and axles on the frame and it seems pretty solid. As long as you're confident in your skills (or a local shops) I would recommend their kit all day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.