360 Air Injection System - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > 360 Air Injection System

1 Ton Heavy Duty Steering Upgrade Kit. New and Improved dStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 05-04-2007, 11:21 AM   #1
kmjbpkohler

360 Air Injection System

Can anyone give me the pros and cons on removing all of the air injection systems on my engine. I know the emissions side of it. I should'nt have to worry about inspections. The main thing I need to know is if this will harm the engine overtime and what is involved with removal, i.e. plugging up all the holes and such.

Jeeps are alot like houseboats

kmjbpkohler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2007, 08:11 PM   #2
jeepfan93
1991 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmjbpkohler
Can anyone give me the pros and cons on removing all of the air injection systems on my engine. I know the emissions side of it. I should'nt have to worry about inspections. The main thing I need to know is if this will harm the engine overtime and what is involved with removal, i.e. plugging up all the holes and such.

Jeeps are alot like houseboats
First thing you'll have to do is go to the hardware store and get plugs for the AIR holes in the exhaust manifolds. Then remove the belt for the pump and the pump itself. There will be a metal line going to the cat from the diverter valve. You will need to cut and plug it at the cat to have a clean look. Of course rearrange the vac lines after your done. It will not have any long term affects on the engine. But you probably won't see any increase in power since it is just pumping air into the exhaust.
jeepfan93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2007, 10:48 AM   #3
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

If the pump is near death from seizing, you will notice a major power increase by removing it, BUT the original cat needs to be removed or gutted so your floor doesn't catch on fire from the heat it will start to produce (I saw one dripping molten metal on the road!)
If you want to be environmentally friendly, replace the old cat with a high flow non-aerobic one (Random technologies makes one that is 50 state legal) and the AIR stuff can go in the trash bin (you will actually produce less emissions than the original cat did from the factory and in most cases use less fuel) The EGR valve is needed to keep your motor from pinging itself to death.
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2007, 04:04 PM   #4
kmjbpkohler

Thanks guys, I've taken off the air pump, exhaust tubes, plugged the holes, rerouted the vacuum lines, changed exhaust manifold gaskets, retapped the 2 bolts that broke, put everything back together and could not believe the amount of room there is now and the performance seems better. Also sounds pretty tuff with the true duals and flowmasters.

Jeeps might not be as bad as houseboats
kmjbpkohler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2007, 09:20 PM   #5
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmjbpkohler

Jeeps might not be as bad as houseboats
BOAT = bring over another thousand! Did the cats go bye bye too?
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.