286 HEI Dist Wiring Plug - Used Motor No PLUG - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > 286 HEI Dist Wiring Plug - Used Motor No PLUG

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-22-2012, 09:39 PM   #1
Shannonbeau
1980 J-Series Truck 

286 HEI Dist Wiring Plug - Used Motor No PLUG

OK, so found out that my 258 was totally shot without a complete rebuild, so I found a great 258 for $350.00, Got it, it's clean, all there, Aluminum Valve cover and big orange HEI style distributor with no name on it.
However, I do not know what plug goes into this distributor, nor can I find anything online for it.. Or I'm just not seeing it.
I need to find the plug and find out if I still need my Ignition module hooked up.. plus, can I get an adapter for the round 3 prog plug that was there with my old distributor... Do all of these HEI style distributors have the same plug on them?
Aint she perty..

Thanks in advance... I may have other questions, but not too many.. Just took the old one completely apart so I know where everything else goes and what it is and does.... Electrical just isn't my thing.

The Jeep J10 is my Kritter Gitter.

Last edited by Shannonbeau; 04-22-2012 at 09:51 PM..
Shannonbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2012, 09:46 PM   #2
Shannonbeau
1980 J-Series Truck 

Here is my ace mechanic helping me take it apart. My 8yr old son Cain.... Video at http://youtu.be/zNXkS8cjWW4

Unread 04-23-2012, 07:37 AM   #3
CSP

The HEI just needs 12v of power. The ignition module is built into the cap, so yours goes away. There are LOTS of threads on HEI swaps, especially in the CJ forums.

You could always swap the distributor out of the old engine into the new one.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 07:45 AM   #4
Shannonbeau
1980 J-Series Truck 

How does it know when to shut off? Key, etc?
Unread 04-23-2012, 10:41 PM   #5
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

yep. hook it to a wire that's hot in the 'on' and 'start' positions. there may not be one in the engine, but there's one inside.

definetly do some reading on the forum about the HEIs. lots of people like them. lots of people hate them.

Tags
258 , hei , j10

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.