1988 Grand Wagoneer Vapor Separator/ Liquid Trap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > 1988 Grand Wagoneer Vapor Separator/ Liquid Trap

Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!Advance Adapters SYE KitsKOR Labor Week Sale and Giveaway

Unread 01-21-2014, 02:07 PM   #1
warwagon49

1988 Grand Wagoneer Vapor Separator/ Liquid Trap

Just picked up my Wagoneer V8 last month.

Am replacing emissions vacuum lines that're split and nasty...want to replace the filter-looking thing, which Jeep calls a "Trap, Liquid". Pn 33001586.

I can see clear thru it, so I have little faith that it does anything at this point.
Problem is, no-one stocks it anywhere. I've called the local Jeep dealer as well as nat'l customer service, which gave me another couple of dead ends.

My O'Reilly parts guys gave me a fuel filter, since it looks like one, but I'm not sure.

Any workarounds out there? Or can anyone tell me if I'm supposed to see right thru the thing?

Bob

warwagon49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2014, 03:59 PM   #2
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

I can absolutely say with 100% confidence, that I have no idea what your talking about.
Where is this thing located, or better yet a pic?????
RockRollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2014, 08:40 PM   #3
warwagon49

It's the filter-looking thing on a hose running from the charcoal canister(by the battery) to the carb float bowl.
Trying to upload a picture....I think I was successful.
It's the blue thing.
0120141338-01.jpg  

Last edited by warwagon49; 01-21-2014 at 08:56 PM.. Reason: Adding picture
Unread 01-21-2014, 09:47 PM   #4
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

"vapor separator" note post #13
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=117423
Unread 01-22-2014, 06:59 PM   #5
warwagon49

Thanks Rock.....ran across that thread once before, but it goes nowhere.

I was given a fuel filter at the O'Reillys store but it just looks the same. Clearly the function is totally different.

I'd use the old part and more or less forget the whole thing, but when I look thru the thing from one end I can see right through it.

Maybe I can source an old one from a junkyard and look to see if they're all like that.
Unread 01-22-2014, 07:27 PM   #6
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

I never did see one on my 90. Not sure if it was removed by PO, or was deleted by factory.
Unread 01-23-2014, 07:13 AM   #7
Little Green
1991 FSJ Wagoneer 

I have one on mine and was told by my mechanic to just delete it and run new longer lines. Might be a charcoal canister filter of some sort. I have not deleted it yet but the line that goes to it sometimes pulls off and just hangs there. Half to time I am under the hood it's disconnected(and I seem to be under the hood once a week at least(twice yesterday as it overheated in 5 degree weather) Not sure it actually does anything.
Start your truck and let it idle then pull the hose off. I don't think it does anything other than be one more air filter in the system mandated by the epa
Unread 01-24-2014, 09:09 AM   #8
warwagon49

Thanks guys...I think I'll just button things up and leave it as is for now.

I might try playing with it more when the weather warms up a bit.

I still have one outlet on the charcoal canister that has no hose connected to it at all. Have a good idea where it should go, thanks to a vacuum schematic I was able to find.

Once I get these hoses connected maybe things will smooth out a bit.

Thanks again.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.