1987 Wagoneer runs hot wont start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > 1987 Wagoneer runs hot wont start

Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 09-01-2011, 03:26 PM   #1
sbarrese33

1987 Wagoneer runs hot wont start

I have a 1987 Grand Wagoneer with a 360 motor. Starts right up..eventually gets up to 225 dgrees...still runs but when shut down wont even crank...soon as the engine cools off starts right up with no problem. Replaced radiator, heater core, therm, starter, selenoid, battery cables, and the timing is good...ready to pull my hair out....any suggestions??

sbarrese33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2011, 07:06 PM   #2
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

look at fan clutch for overheating. look at ignition box for not starting.
Unread 09-01-2011, 11:01 PM   #3
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Something is causing you to overheat, which is the source of not starting.

Have you looked at your spark plugs to see the condition? They can tell you if you are running rich or lean (lean causing increased heat).

Also, you have obviously replaced the common points of failure, but have you checked out the condition of the coolant passages on the block? pulling the intake manifold and taking a look will let you know how heavily corroded they are. At the very least I'd suggest a complete coolant back flush to try and get any crap out of the system.

Next, I'd check the water pump. Not sure how many miles you have on it, but sometimes the impeller can wear down to the point where there are no blades on it, and it cant push the coolant through the block. Also heard of the incorrect year water pump installed, which had the impeller pushing the wrong way.

I'd check your plugs, check for vacuum leaks (something that can lead to a lean condition) and possibly replace the water pump.

The fan clutch as mentioned above is also a good point to start, however it will really only be a cause if yuo are only overheating at idle or in traffic. The fan clutch doesnt do a whole lot at highway speed, as there is plenty of air moving through the radiator, but if it is overheating at idle or in traffic, where the fan actually pulls air through the rad, it may be the culprit.

Hope this helps!

I replaced my radiator and theromostat (with a 185 degree unit) and my 1973 wag doesnt even pass 195 in the 115 degree vegas heat.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2011, 10:28 PM   #4
temps425

First thing I would do is re-bleed the cooling system. This is the most common problem in my experience. As far as the no start while hot, that is strange. Only thing I can think of is the ignition module. I can't think of any reason why the ignition would change based on the temp of the motor.
temps425 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2011, 12:49 AM   #5
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by temps425 View Post
First thing I would do is re-bleed the cooling system. This is the most common problem in my experience. As far as the no start while hot, that is strange. Only thing I can think of is the ignition module. I can't think of any reason why the ignition would change based on the temp of the motor.

No start while hot can be that the ignition timing is too far advanced once it warms up.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 09-03-2011, 02:29 AM   #6
Crazy4Wheelin
1975 FSJ Wagoneer 

How bout vapor locking causing the no start after hot? The full size jeeps maintain a crapola amount of heat under the hoods after you turn them off. I ended up relocating my fuel filter on my exs because it would vapor lock all the time even when it didn't seem to be overheating. Fyi clear filters work wonders if you are wondering if it is vapor locking since you can see them fog up.

☮ 75 Waggy ~Nadia~ Slightly built 401/TH400/BW1339 w/part time kit
☮ 96 ZJ ~Weebo~ Stock 4.0L with 31/10.50/R15
Crazy4Wheelin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2011, 08:08 AM   #7
sbarrese33

Going to check into the fan clutch and water pump....evrything else is good....cant even get the engine hot now in cool weather but on a hot day it gets up there and then engine wont crank....thanks for the suggestions...stay tuned
Unread 09-09-2011, 08:21 AM   #8
sbarrese33

So before I even had a chance to do the fan clutch and water pump....I am driving it and now that the weather is a bit cooler the temp is barely getting out of the blue on the temp gauge....but I turn the engine off and then try to restart...won't crank....soon as it cools off...it fires right up. Thing that is bothering me is that it is not that hot...not like before anyway. Any suggestions? Is this engine shot?...doesnt make sense since it runs fine...just wont crank when turned off.
Unread 09-09-2011, 08:50 AM   #9
sbarrese33

.....also we put a wrench on the motor when it was hot and could barely move it...but when cooled off move fine...if that helps.
Unread 09-09-2011, 01:22 PM   #10
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Percolation? That wouldnt explain it being hard to turn though. Could still be vapor lock or flooding it can actually put fluid into the cylinder making it very difficult to turn.

so it wont even crank when hot? Have you tried a new starter?

Unread 09-09-2011, 01:51 PM   #11
sbarrese33

Starter is new...you can hear it trying but wont turn the motor...20 mins later when cools off...fires up like nothing ever happened....also keep in mind the engine runs fine...doesnt over-heat, doesnt stall...but when you turn the key off and try to restart when hot...wont crank.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.