1982 Wagoneer Limited - heat/defrost issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > 1982 Wagoneer Limited - heat/defrost issue

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCKJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 01-02-2008, 10:48 AM   #1
chrisplaner

1982 Wagoneer Limited - heat/defrost issue

Hello - I have a 1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited that started having an issue with the front defroster and heater. Up until a few weeks ago the defroster blew hard enough that I could feel it my face while driving. Now I have no defroster and the heater doesn't blow any heat from the bottom either. I can hear the motor on the fan turning and if I open the fresh air vent I get lots of warm air, however, I get no heat and no defroster. Is this a common issue? Can someone make a suggestion as to where I could find a schematic of the heater/defrosting system or do you think it might just be a switch issue?
THANKS!
Chris

chrisplaner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2008, 02:19 PM   #2
JPJeeper

Head on over to IFSJA.org and look for a link

They have links to schematic places...

its like... ole jeep something...
1975 J20 Jeep Truck
1967 J3000 Jeep Truck
JPJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2008, 07:21 PM   #3
chrisplaner

Hello All,

I found the issue. The vacuum line that goes from the fire wall ito the off/heat/defrost mechanism was melted. As soon as I fixed the line the
defroster and heater started working!

Chris
chrisplaner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 02:07 PM   #4
Nortchief
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

I have a "new to me" 1982 Cherokee Chief. I am trying to find the vacuum source on the other side of the firewall (engine compartment) from the heater control switch on the dash. The "off" vacuum line is cut and I need to know where to run it, the "heat" and "defrost" lines are connected correctly...I just have not vacuum.
Nortchief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2012, 07:35 PM   #5
jamesabasile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nortchief
I have a "new to me" 1982 Cherokee Chief. I am trying to find the vacuum source on the other side of the firewall (engine compartment) from the heater control switch on the dash. The "off" vacuum line is cut and I need to know where to run it, the "heat" and "defrost" lines are connected correctly...I just have not vacuum.
There should be a vacuum reservoir on the firewall
Jim
jamesabasile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2012, 09:21 AM   #6
73pumpkin
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

I'm not sure on 82s and 83s, but on 70s models there is a black plastic drum about the size of a big fist that your vacuum line goes to I think. In my 73 it was on the driver's side fender. i actually removed it from there and stuck it on an extra on the carb. I just rebuilt my heating system on my 73.
73pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2012, 06:28 PM   #7
Nortchief
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

My 82 Cherokee Chief does not have an air canister (the black plastic drum), yours may. I just resolved the issue by connecting my heater control vacuum line. Here's how it went in case anybody is interested. My heater controls are vacuum operated with no electric power by three vacuum lines that connect to the heater controls on the instrument panel; one line provides vacuum from the engine through a line entering the firewall (either through the canister or mine was directly from the manifold which caused the confusion); the second line runs from the heater control in the instrument panel to a control valve under the dash on the passenger side that opens when you press the heater button; the third runs from the same heater control to the control valve under the dash behind the glove box that opens when you press the defrost button.

Keep in mind that your blower motor, heater controls, and a/c (if you have it) are independent units. They just work with one another...if that makes sense.
Nortchief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.