1982 Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > 1982 Cherokee

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 08-25-2010, 12:00 PM   #1
skwash
2000 XJ Cherokee 

1982 Cherokee

Found a sweet FSJ Cherokee... newly rebuilt 360 w/ performance mods, rebuilt tranny, dana44 w/lsd, dana60 w/detroit, 6in lift, new tires...

I'm pretty sure I am going to jump on it. Just wanted to ask how easy it is to find parts for these trucks when stuff breaks?

I'd rather not be limited to finding parts in the junk yard.

Any advice on things to look at when I go see this jeep?

Thanks!!

skwash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2010, 01:56 PM   #2
Eric1080
1978 J-Series Truck 

shouldnt have a problem finding stuff. bjsoffroad.com teamgrandwagoneer.com fsjjeepparts.com ebay sounds like a good jeep. how much rust?
Eric1080 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2010, 02:14 PM   #3
skwash
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the links! That looks very promising.

A little surface rust on the body, haven't gone to see the frame yet.
Unread 08-25-2010, 08:21 PM   #4
Loaded
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Welcome! also look at most of us on the other website
Loaded is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2010, 05:16 PM   #5
skwash
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I brought her home today! The 75 mile drive on the freeway was less than thrilling. Steering is quite loose. I think the S10 steering box might be a must before we drive to Moab.

Here are a couple of pics!

I was really looking forward to driving this Jeep before having to fix much! But I park the thing, come out a couple hours later, and notice fluid on the driveway... The prev owner assured me it did not leak oil.. This is what I found:

So Day 1 and my TODO list:
Determine leak.
Get and replace new oil dip stick + tube (supposedly broke a few days ago).
Replace gasket on exhaust manifold.
Replace steering box
Unread 08-28-2010, 09:07 PM   #6
CutterN55
1986 CJ7 

not too shabby! I like the color. All the to-do's look pretty standard. Looks like the tranny pan is leaking. make sure when you take it off, you make sure it is not warped/bent at the corners from pulling down to drain in the past. Also the trans dipstick tube is common to find leaking at the base.

You might find a few of those tranny pan bolts to be stripped out as well, helo-coils works wonders.

DO a good job wiping everything down take a run around the block and look for leaks. I'll bet you have a rear main seal leak and possibly the front pump seal as well.

Check out IFSJA (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/) for good technical info and a good place to search the classifieds for FSJ parts.
Unread 08-28-2010, 10:19 PM   #7
skwash
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Well I drove around a bit after wiping down as you suggested. The only place I could find a drip was the oil drain plug... Seemed like there was a ton of fluid on the bottom for just that. Hopefully it is just that, otherwise everything else has run dry. lol

The tranny and engine were rebuilt less than 2k miles ago, so I'm crossing my fingers that nothing else needs to be fixed in that department.
Unread 08-29-2010, 02:39 AM   #8
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

Check the PCV system isn't plugged up. Steering box from a full size late '70s/early '80s GM full size car works.

'81 Eagle wagon with upgrades $2500
'87 Comanche shortbox 4.0/AW4/NP242 on 33" tires $3500
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2010, 02:53 AM   #9
CutterN55
1986 CJ7 

I'll bet those drips on the cross member are from the pan leaking.

Couple little things I saw if you don't mind...don't know if you noticed yet or not. Looks like you are missing a nut on the cross member that is part of the trans mount, helps keep it from twisting I think. E-brake cable cut(?) and you're are going to want to do those brake lines the right way before you break one.

Some of the steering is going to be from the long front shackles (caster change) and the ride height most likely. Do you have a drop pitman arm? You can adjust these boxes just fine, make sure you got all your ducks in a row before you go throwing money into a new steering box and are having the same problem.

see if you have the front sway bars,
make sure bolts are all snugged up,
check your TRE and ball joints... all the good stuff you don't know if has been messed with.

Looks like you will have some previous owner handywork to overcome, but we all do and you have a good start.
Unread 08-29-2010, 01:28 PM   #10
skwash
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, I suspect there are going to be more than a few thing to overcome.

Maybe I should take it to a mechanic to give it a good once over, if nothing else just to get a good list of items to fix. I don't mind doing the work to fix stuff but it's been quite awhile since I've done anything more exciting than an oil change.
Unread 08-29-2010, 01:43 PM   #11
skwash
2000 XJ Cherokee 

As for the brake lines.. Should I just get a new kit from BJs and re-route?

Yeah no e-brake... Supposedly was cut when the Dana 60 went in. He didn't bother fixing as it has an auto trans. He didn't bother hooking the speedo back up either.. So there ya go.
Unread 08-29-2010, 03:12 PM   #12
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Don't worry about the leaks, it's an AMC. Thats just how you know it has fluid in it.

Nice find though, that's a great rig, it'll be alot of fun. I dig the color scheme.

Look into your suspension as mentioned for the steering issues. My 73' has a 4" kit from BJ's and it steers like a dream, I drive it on the highway in the city all the time, so it shouldnt be the truck itself.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2010, 10:33 PM   #13
CutterN55
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwash View Post
As for the brake lines.. Should I just get a new kit from BJs and re-route?

Yeah no e-brake... Supposedly was cut when the Dana 60 went in. He didn't bother fixing as it has an auto trans. He didn't bother hooking the speedo back up either.. So there ya go.
Well instead of extended brake lines, looks like a PO just dropped the mounts down with a piece of scrap and bent the hard lines...? Just get longer braided steel lines, you'll be good to go. yes BJ's has them. They are nice & I have a set that came with my lift.
Unread 08-30-2010, 03:56 PM   #14
skwash
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Parts on the way for:
New oil dip stick + tube.
Exhaust manifold gasket.
Transmission oil pan (was definitely leaking).

These were relatively quick, easy, and cheap fixes. I'm still going to take it to a mechanic for a good look, but is there anything else I should take a look at before I hit some minor trails? The brake lines are definitely on my short list.
Unread 08-30-2010, 04:55 PM   #15
polardoggie
1979 J-Series Truck 

very nice looking truck...not to be picky..but ya might wanna secure that battery while yer under the hood....bunjees aint fer secureing batterys..
polardoggie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.