1981 Jeep J10 Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > 1981 Jeep J10 Build

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-06-2013, 05:25 PM   #1
TheDeac
1981 J-Series Truck 

1981 Jeep J10 Build

Hello again everyone. I think that I am going to start a build thread for my 1981 jeep j10. Most people probably have read my other post but I'll start with describing it a bit. It is almost entirely rust free and in pretty good shape for an old truck. It has the dual gas tanks for a total of 50 gallons or $200 dollars worth of gas it has a 4in lift, chrome brush guard with two fog lights. It has lots of other stuff too that I cant think of at this moment. So anyway here are the pics of her after a wash. (im not sure if they are going to end up at the bottom but thats what it looks like. Well I have just started working on it. I would love to be able to drive this truck around.

Anyway I have not done much work as of yet, only a few things. But the first thing I did was replace the door with bent brackets for a new door. That was a hassle and isn't even done. It would have been easy except I had a j20 door from 76 which didnt match the latch system on the door. So I pulled out the latching stuff in the door and put in the same one from the old door. To my dismay The 3 screws that hold it in were in the wrong configuration. So I thought of changing the latching part on the body of the truck but one took 2 screws and the other 3. So today I went and bought an old door off a parted out 1980 jeep which WILL fit in. The last two pictures are with the j20 door that doesnt latch.

Also I put in the new hood latch cable so i can finally close the hood. That took all of a minute. She really needs a rebuilt tranny and I wouldn't mind rebuilding the carb. But she runs pretty nice. I also need to fix a leak in the exhaust manifold and hammer out some of the body pieces. I was going to try to hammer out the dent in the front quarter pannel when I took off the door. But when I felt inside it was fine. So there are two different pieces of metal on the quarter pannel and only the outer one is bent. I will figure that out though and hammer It out.

Also I have been toying with the idea with putting in a 360. It has the 6 cylinder. Just making it up the hills where I live is difficult. Plus a 360 would be a whole lot of fun But I dont know what I would need to get for the 360 other than the engine (different bell housing? stronger components?). And a 360 from the junkyard is like 500 bucks. And 500 I can afford.

And another idea that i was thinking of is I really would like to put on some 33in tires. But width of 12.5 and I have the white star 15 in rims. They are only 8in wide. Could this be a problem? The guys at the tire shop suggested that I get wider rims. But I REALLY like the original rims. I would love to keep the originals you know. I really dont want the tires to look really stupid either. So my question is can you do this? Is it practical? And would that look stupid? I figure the tires would bulge out the sides a lot?

Thanks so much, I'll try to keep this thread updated!

191875_4638692488937_1251316298_o.jpg   325133_4638698769094_362850817_o.jpg   411463_4638699449111_647379031_o.jpg   464619_4638697049051_784464068_o.jpg   464869_4638696409035_236536040_o.jpg  

616176_4638694288982_2071724793_o.jpg   621671_4638681368659_509915701_o.jpg   621850_4638697929073_1190781661_o.jpg   resizedimage_1370555565101-1-.jpg   resizedimage_1370555645434.jpg  

Last edited by TheDeac; 06-06-2013 at 06:11 PM..
TheDeac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #2
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

I've seen 33x12.5x15 on the stock rims. They 'look' fine. Don't know about any performance issues, though.

I put a doors from an 81 on my 76. I switched the 'in door' latch, and 2 of the 3 screw holes lined up. Also lost use of my locks. So, keeping the door in the right year span was definetly the way to go.
Unread 06-06-2013, 07:08 PM   #3
pcoplin
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Looks awesome. Love the color scheme.
Ultra4 KOH #689 car
pcoplin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 07:30 PM   #4
Spaceball

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcoplin View Post
Looks awesome. Love the color scheme.
Me too, especially with the white wheels and original center caps. I'd keep them!

What's the interior look like?
Spaceball is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 01:01 AM   #5
TheDeac
1981 J-Series Truck 

Thanks for lovin on my truck guys! I could tell you guys almost love it half of how much I love it I went and put on the new door. But I forgot the truck half of the latch at my house (the truck is on my Uncle's property) but that is ok. Because it turns out when it rolled down my driveway and pinned the door against the quarter panel, it bent the inside part where the hinge bolts in. Like the middle screw. So I need to bend that back so that the door will close easily.

The interior could use some work. I really want to toss the bench that is in there and get a bench that has bucket seats. Seats that are not trampolines. I have a new dash for her at home that Im going to put in. It is black but I suppose you cant have everything. The old dash is totally washed out and cracked from the sun. I have also been toying with the idea of putting bedliner in instead of carpet. Carpet would deaden the engine noise more though right? I feel carpet might look better too. But I really don't know. Also in the heat can the bedliner make any bad smells? I know that plastics under high temperatures can emit some bad smells, especially in a sealed vehicle.

Does anyone know of the complications of putting a 360 in a j10 that had the 6cylinder? Or if there would be any performance issues with 33x12.5x15 tires on an 8 inch wide rim? Because like I said before, I would really like to keep the original rims

Thanks for the help guys!
Unread 06-07-2013, 01:44 PM   #6
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

Nice truck and great project! I can relate to the door issue as I replaced my drivers door on my '77 J-10 with a door from an '86 GW. I also converted to electric windows!
I used to run 35x12.50-15's but the truck would bounce around like it was on balloons and it was hard to steer at slow speeds. The tires stuck out about 1 1/2" from the fenders. I recently changed to 33x10.50-15 (KM2's) and the ride and handling is much better. The tires fit in the fenderwells and IMHO look better.
As far as a seat; might I suggest a 60/40 split bench from a late '80's Chevy pickup. I have one in mine and it is firm and comfy. Also gives you access to the behind the seat area. I adapted mine to the original sliders.
Keep us updated on your progress.
Unread 06-07-2013, 09:16 PM   #7
06_footy
1977 J-Series Truck 

Subscribed
Stock
06_footy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 02:33 AM   #8
lycanthrope

Nice truck.
Chrome Go Rhino grille guard. Pioneer trim, I think. Dual tanks, cool--no evaporative emission test in Cali. Can you post engine/interior pics? You can prolly polish up the chrome muscle grille.

For a 360 swap, you would need to change the radiator, core support, motor mounts, and possibly trans and driveshafts. I would recommend a 4.0 swap. You would get a better head and fuel injection and eliminate some smog parts. A 4.6 stroker would be even better. A 4.0 would be nearly a bolt-in and you would not need to swap those other parts. 258~110hp. 4.0~190hp. 4.6~240hp.

Get to know your local pickapart yards. You can find some good parts there. We have 4 near here(riverside county), 3 list fresh inventory online.

You can paint the dash pad before you swap it in.

Last edited by lycanthrope; 06-08-2013 at 02:36 AM.. Reason: Forgot
lycanthrope is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 04:00 AM   #9
TheDeac
1981 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycanthrope View Post
Nice truck.
Chrome Go Rhino grille guard. Pioneer trim, I think. Dual tanks, cool--no evaporative emission test in Cali. Can you post engine/interior pics? You can prolly polish up the chrome muscle grille.

For a 360 swap, you would need to change the radiator, core support, motor mounts, and possibly trans and driveshafts. I would recommend a 4.0 swap. You would get a better head and fuel injection and eliminate some smog parts. A 4.6 stroker would be even better. A 4.0 would be nearly a bolt-in and you would not need to swap those other parts. 258~110hp. 4.0~190hp. 4.6~240hp.

Get to know your local pickapart yards. You can find some good parts there. We have 4 near here(riverside county), 3 list fresh inventory online.

You can paint the dash pad before you swap it in.
Well I did usually think the 360 would be a little to much power for what I wanted. A 4.0 or 4.6 would be great. Except I have no idea what those are. Are they a V6? Did they come is some models of J10s? Because I thought J10's only came with 258's and 360's. At least 190hp would sound great. And fuel injection would be fantastic. Would that increase mpg too? I would like to ideally keep it near 13-15. I think the 4.0 or 4.6 stroker sounds exactly what I wanted. What kind of vehicles can I find them in?

Ill plan on painting the dash then. And I found the door at a pick and pull. They had about 10 J10's and hundreds of jeeps. So i will have to look around there and some other places locally a bit more. The problem is I see things that I dont have the money for and would be "nice"

Also, The bedliner smell thing, that was more about the smell for me, not passing California's tests. I'm sure there are types that are designed to have no smell.
Unread 06-08-2013, 11:49 AM   #10
lycanthrope

Ok, I see you have a manual transmission. I'm guessing it is the 4-speed. You could get 16-18, stock mpg's. With that lift and bigger tires, you'll drop mpg's.

Since you live in the people's republic of kalifornia, smog check will be a big issue. Do you have all the smog equipment on the engine? How about the registration? Has it been on a non-op? Back fees on registration could be over $1000.

The 4.0 engine was developed from the 258 shortly before Chrysler bought AMC and killed it off. You can find them in xj cherokees, grand Cherokees, others. There is a TON of information online about 4.0 swaps. Do some searching and then read, read, read.

The front 'quarter panel' is called a fender. The 'dash' is the metal panel in front of the occupants. The dash 'pad' is the soft part on top. If you put a nice one on, buy a cover for it or at least throw a towel on it to protect it fron the sun.
lycanthrope is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 12:58 PM   #11
TheDeac
1981 J-Series Truck 

Yeah its a manual, and its the 4 speed without the granny low 1st. I know I was going to drop mpg with a lift and larger tires. More contact with the ground and air resistance. But I was wondering what I could do to counter that? I need to do a lot more research on that.

The smog check is what my dad doesn't think will pass. As far as I know all the smog equipment is still on the engine. It hasn't been registered for probably 8 years. Its been a non op. So I think I remember that being a pretty penny when I checked to see how much it would be to register it again.

I was curious what 4.0 you were talking about. Because I know ford rangers have 4.0's, because I have one. But I was assuming you mean a different engine.

As for the "fender" that makes sense. I looked it up and people call the fender the front quarter panel by mistake a lot. I actually learned to call it a quarter panel on this forum...I always thought the fender was the piece on the bottom of the, well, the fender I guess. So thats confusing.

I was planning on buying a cover for the "dash pad" The old one is over 30 years old...So you would have to figure the sun would have done some damage. I need a new Dash (metal part) because my brother cut the hell out of it trying to fit in his radio deck when he owned it. It is kind of ruined. But I have a new one. That's why I'm replacing the Dash.

The engine swap would be nice. But I think that is just about last on my list of things to do. Mechanically that is. Because It will run with the current engine. I would rather rebuild the tranny first. The truck is drive-able as is. As soon as the door gets on right, It would handle the road fine. I'm really planning on researching the 4.0 swap and doing that in the future for sure. I really hope I dont have to pay too much in back fees, or in getting the truck to pass smog. But I have a feeling I will have to
Unread 07-01-2013, 06:55 PM   #12
TheDeac
1981 J-Series Truck 

Ok, I figured I would update this now since i finally ordered some parts

I tore out the carpet and took the seats out. The floor panels are perfect so im putting down some heat and sound insulation for the cab. I also bought the vinyl floor cover that is suppose to be custom fit. I'm sure it wont and that I will have to cut a little when I put it in. I was going with the carpet, but The carpet got pretty bad reviews of it not fitting at all. The vinyl flooring seemed like the more popular rated product. I'm curious how it will be too. I will let you guys know when I get it and take pictures of it installed. I am going to reupholster the bench seat instead of buying a new seat. And of course I am going to go with a blue and white bench to match the truck paint I need to put in the other dash board and paint it also. I let you guys know and take pics when something actually happens.

Here are the parts in case anyone was curious what I bought. I know the vinyl comes with insulation, but I wanted for the back of the cab too just for noise reduction.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/heatsound-i...182y1981g2u0j4
http://www.jcwhitney.com/heavy-duty-...d1182y1981g2j4
Unread 07-11-2013, 01:23 AM   #13
TheDeac
1981 J-Series Truck 

Another update on the truck!

Ok, so the insulation came in and it's nice and thick. The Carpet stuff hasn't come in yet though. But yesterday my dad was on Craigslist and found some 33x12.50x15 super swampers on aluminum wheels for $550. A full set and a spare 33x10.50x15. The tread is practically new! He gave me 50 bucks back too because he was happy that we actually showed up (someone stuck him up before us). Im am crazy happy with this deal! That saved me a ton of money! and I got exactly what I had been looking for. I really like the weld racing rims I just cant believe I got 5 tires on rims for 500. Crazy deal! I just need to buy some lug nuts. I'm not sure exactly which size to buy. And I am going to buy a lock set for my tires so no one can steal my new babies I don't have any pictures, but the ad is still up if anyone wants to see what I got.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/pts/3920385473.html

I'm really looking forward to putting them on my truck, and putting in the insulation/carpet-like stuff in. Then I need to reupholster the bench seat and paint the dash. Then the interior will pretty much be good
Unread 07-13-2013, 12:05 AM   #14
chris64
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

Great score on the rims and tires!!!
I bet you saved $1000 easy!
Good luck
C
chris64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 01:58 PM   #15
TheDeac
1981 J-Series Truck 

OK so I have a question,

I have been looking around and couldn't find an answer on my own. So I have a 4 inch rancho suspension lift already on my truck. If I wanted to put a 3in body lift on that, what would I need in addition to the body lift kit? probably new brake lines? Would a body lift be a bad idea?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.