1980 Sj 4lo - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > 1980 Sj 4lo

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-08-2011, 08:39 PM   #1
Skittlesquad
1995 XJ Cherokee 

1980 Sj 4lo

Hi i just git a 1980 Sj and am trying to figure out how to put it in 4 lo, its nothing like my cherokee, i lock the hub put the selector in 4hi and its fine but if i try to put it in low the lever and light says its in 4lo but it make that high pitch grinding/whining noise like its not lined up. what am i doing wrong or not doing

Skittlesquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2011, 02:17 PM   #2
jeepdavetj
1991 XJ Cherokee 

The linkage may be bent, or out of wack a lil. You may have to push it down a lil more than you are. Or get under it and see if the bushings or rods are out of wack. I had the same issue on my old Grand Waggy. I messed with it till I got it right.

[B][I]Ash from Army of Darkness[/I][/B][QUOTE]Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?[/QUOTE]
jeepdavetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2011, 07:05 PM   #3
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Chances are good that there is a reverse neutral lock. I'm not sure when they did away with that feature, but I have it on my 73.

I need to shift into reverse, then into neutral, and then the lever goes right into 4lo. Same to get it out. You need to fiddle with it shifting from P to R to N ot from N to R to N to try and get it to shift in.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2011, 01:30 AM   #4
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

I had to shut mine off, shift into low then start up again. That was when my high forward clutches were just about dead and fried together.

'81 Eagle wagon with upgrades $2500
'87 Comanche shortbox 4.0/AW4/NP242 on 33" tires $3500
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2011, 03:48 PM   #5
Skittlesquad
1995 XJ Cherokee 

iv tried all those things and still nothing, like it wont go all the way in , is there shift forks or somthing inside that might be bent?
Skittlesquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2011, 07:59 PM   #6
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

That or the linkage may not be pushing it all the way.

'81 Eagle wagon with upgrades $2500
'87 Comanche shortbox 4.0/AW4/NP242 on 33" tires $3500
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.