1979 j10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > 1979 j10

RCI FUEL CELL BRACKET - Perfect for the back of your JeepARTEC LABOR DAY SALE - 15% offNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 03-29-2012, 10:09 PM   #1
andrewj10
1979 J-Series Truck 

1979 j10

Hey guys, pretty new to this, site and all. Just wanted to ask some questions and maybe get some opinion on my truck and let y'all know what i plan to do with it in the future.
To start off, I acquired my 1979 J10 from a neighbor for i believe 900 bucks if i remember correctly. Had (and still has) barely any rust (except floor boards and little spots here and there). It's got the AMC 360/auto with the TH400 transmission I believe. It's My first vehicle and I love it. I believe the front axle to be a dana 60 and the rear a dana 40.
I was wondering if it would be possible to replace the drum brakes with disk brakes. I'm finding the drums to be a pain in the ***. I plan on doing a SOA lift and throwing on some bigger tires once i can afford to do so. I spend quite a bit of time up around Wilkeson and plan to spend much time at Evans Creek this coming summer. The neighbor I purchased it off of had it sitting in the Washington rain for a few years and that has cause most if not all of the weather stripping to rot and tear causing unwanted leaking. I've been searching a bit online to replace all of it and can't find much. I was wondering if any of you guys know where i could purchase new weather stripping for it. And I mean ALL of it.
I've had the idea bouncing around for quite sometime whether or not to replace the current bench seat (which is now tearing substantially) with a new set of bucket seats. What do you guys think? Also was toying with the idea of an interior roll cage. Is it possible? Has it been done? And what do you guys think of mounting off road lights to the hood?
Thanks guys, I plan to upload some pictures once i can figure out how to...

andrewj10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2012, 05:44 AM   #2
paintballtruck
1979 J-Series Truck 

if its a 79 j10 it should not have a dana 60 period and it would be in the rear not the front both axles should be dana 44 and front should have disk brakes go to bjs offroad they have the weather stripping and a bunch of other stuff
paintballtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2012, 08:01 AM   #3
BJ's Off-Road
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

We have most everything you are looking for:

www.bjsoffroad.com

Plus, we are only one shipping day away from you - we are in Gig Harbor.

Thanks!
Unread 03-30-2012, 10:16 AM   #4
andrewj10
1979 J-Series Truck 

The previous owners swapped the axles. I was told that the front got snapped and the swapped it out with a Dana 60. I will definitely check out you guys out for the weather stripping as well
Thanks
andrewj10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2012, 12:32 PM   #5
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

An interior roll cage is a little over kill unless you plan on rolling it alot. Lets just keep it on it's 4 wheels and spend the money on things that will make it a nice truck. Things like wheels, tires, lift, paint and a nice sounding exhaust. Buckets are nice, but your still at the age to date, a bench seat could have some advantages he he!!
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1979 , j10 , jeep

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.