1977 Cherokee Chief shorted under dash, lost lights. Help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > 1977 Cherokee Chief shorted under dash, lost lights. Help!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 10-10-2013, 03:19 PM   #1
sandman_rides
1977 FSJ Cherokee 

1977 Cherokee Chief shorted under dash, lost lights. Help!

SO, I bought this 77 Chief, and as I was driving it home, it started running badly, and I started fiddling with knobs. All of a sudden, it dies completely. I was under the dash trying to look at the fuse box, and heard a short (sizzling sound) as I was moving wires around. I pulled the wires away from the fuse box and e-brake, and it started back up, but now I have no headlights, tail lights, and brake lights. Parking (marker) lights seem to work... Any ideas where I should start?

sandman_rides is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 09:45 AM   #2
super98lsc
Web Wheeler
1999 WJ 

check all the wiring coming off the front of the fuse box. It sounds like someone might have tapped off the fuses to power "add ons" or whatever. Find what the cause of that short was, likely you blew the head/tailight fuses out when it shorted.

Schematics can be found here. just scroll to you year.

http://oljeep.com/gw/elec/GW_wiring.html
===================================
00 WJ 4x4, 4.7 stroker, turbocharged,..lots more..
01 WJ 4x2 4.7v8 Limited (needs valve job)
90 Grand Wagoneer 401 Edelbrock Heads, Lunati .510/.527 FT Cam, Edelbrock RPM Air Gap, Holley HP 750, Thorley Headers, HEI, Electric Fan w Digital controller,4" lift 31x10.50 Goodyear Duratrac's on Pro-Comp Wheels,new interior, seats,seals,Alpine and JL full system, Remote HEI, Clifford 2 way with remote start,windows,tailgate.
96 Cherokee Country 4dr/2x2 White/Tan 3" Lift Sahara 18" Wheels 32.5"'s 99up head and intake- for sale soon!
super98lsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 09:49 AM   #3
sandman_rides
1977 FSJ Cherokee 

Got it. Thanks! Started looking at bulbs, and a bunch of them were dead. Guess the load on twenty-some year-old bulbs was just too much, 'cuz they didn't survive the trip home. Got them all replaced and am taking it down to the DMV in an hour. Still gotta find that short, but I'm pretty sure I know where it is...
Unread 10-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #4
sandman_rides
1977 FSJ Cherokee 

Vehicle search done, inspection done, now to send the certified letter to the dead guy and wait for a response... Bonded titles are a pain, but the old beast looks like she'll be worth it eventually... She ran all the way there and back, at least.
Unread 10-11-2013, 01:16 PM   #5
sandman_rides
1977 FSJ Cherokee 

Lord help me. I enlisted the kids to help in the restoration, and my daughter wants to paint it purple! What kind of zombie apocalypse bugout vehicle is purple?
chief.jpg

chief-2.jpg

Unread 10-13-2013, 10:07 AM   #6
BJ's Off-Road
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

I had a similar issue with my 79 Cherokee. Sizzle, a bit of smoke and it died. Turns out is was a wire coming off of the ignition switch, I replaced that wire and all has been well since.

And purple???
BJ's Off-Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2013, 01:44 PM   #7
super98lsc
Web Wheeler
1999 WJ 

Nice rig appears to be rust free from the small photos and in good shape overall.

_RM
===================================
00 WJ 4x4, 4.7 stroker, turbocharged,..lots more..
01 WJ 4x2 4.7v8 Limited (needs valve job)
90 Grand Wagoneer 401 Edelbrock Heads, Lunati .510/.527 FT Cam, Edelbrock RPM Air Gap, Holley HP 750, Thorley Headers, HEI, Electric Fan w Digital controller,4" lift 31x10.50 Goodyear Duratrac's on Pro-Comp Wheels,new interior, seats,seals,Alpine and JL full system, Remote HEI, Clifford 2 way with remote start,windows,tailgate.
96 Cherokee Country 4dr/2x2 White/Tan 3" Lift Sahara 18" Wheels 32.5"'s 99up head and intake- for sale soon!
super98lsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 11:02 AM   #8
sandman_rides
1977 FSJ Cherokee 

Will look into the ignition wiring. There's a shorting sound when I move this one little module, so maybe not the wire. She starts up now, but seems to have a bit of trouble pulling fuel. Dropped the gas tank, ran a line into a gas can, and the fuel filter filled up with gas, but plug in a new fuel pickup and put the tank back on, and it's almost empty again. Gonna shorten the line, see if that helps, and if not we'll look at flushing or replacing tank.

Back fender flares are a little rough, and there's rust on the inside of the hood and roof, no idea how that happened...

Evil daughter still wants to paint her purple. Had the girls looking at seat covers in Autozone yesterday, and one wants Cheetah-skin pattern in black and white with pink trim, and the other wants Hello Kitty. Heaven help me. I should have gotten them a Civic.
Unread 10-21-2013, 11:21 PM   #9
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

Just call it the "Bruise"

'81 Eagle wagon with upgrades $2500
'87 Comanche shortbox 4.0/AW4/NP242 on 33" tires $3500
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2013, 09:03 AM   #10
sandman_rides
1977 FSJ Cherokee 

Got the short again the other day. Was under the dash re-attaching the speedo cable (engine running and lights on. I know, I'm a *******), and the dome lights came on then blew, panel lights got really bright and killed a bunch of the bulbs, ran rough, and when I shut it off it was dead. Got under the dash the next day, and it came back to life. I'm wondering if there's an after-fuse short that pushes a bunch of juice into the system. I can't find any frayed wires or anything under the dash. Maybe inside the headlight switch?

By the way, she's now camo khaki and brown, with flat black on the bottom and the original yellow "Cherokee Chief" letters. Looks pretty cool. I'll post pictures soon.
Unread 11-20-2013, 10:55 AM   #11
sandman_rides
1977 FSJ Cherokee 

Finally gave up on doing the wiring repair myself, took it to an automotive electrician, and he wound up rewiring under the hood. Running great now, but I didn't do it. On to what I can do. Gonna have to beef up my alternator to run extra lights (Christmas lights. I got drafted to pull the float for our gym in the Christmas Parade.) and an electric fan. How heavy should I go, and should I go with the Ford style or the GM style? Seems like Ford...
Unread 11-28-2013, 09:45 AM   #12
sandman_rides
1977 FSJ Cherokee 

Finally made time to take a pic. Here she is. Still a long ways to go...
cherokee-progress-2.jpg

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.