1974 wagoneer - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > 1974 wagoneer

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-11-2012, 12:08 PM   #16
73pumpkin
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

I've also got a trhead, something like "&3 wagoneer, what can you tell me" going, although it is not as extensive as Marns. I did a floor board repair and gas tank repair "on the cheap." They are on that thread and may be of help to you. My ride is headed for the tranny place next week to evaluate plugging up the leaks and a fluid cooler. I am already afraid of the bill but we'll see.

73pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2012, 03:31 PM   #17
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by olliehopnoodle
It depends on what your intended goal is. It seems obvious you are not going for a 'factory concurs restoration', which is a good thing if you are on a budget.

Are you going to daily drive it? Weekend fun cruizer? Mild trail rig?

Lots of things that can be done, these are great rigs to 'make your own'.

Bj's offroad is a good place to start to see what types of things are available. They probably have the 'most complete' selection in one place and their web site is pretty easy to use.

The engine is probably a 360 or possibly a 401.
If it's an automatic, the transmission is a TH400. Great 3 speed tranny.
Automatic will have a quadratrac transfer case. Good case but certain parts are no longer available.
It should have d44 axles front/rear. Good axles with plenty of parts available.

Overall a good combo for a fun weekend car or trail rig. As a daily driver if you have to go long distances the gas might eat up your wallet.

So you should be able to just freshen up the drive train. Tuneup/fluid change and not spend too much money.

That means you can put a little cash into a spring lift. Your springs are probably pretty tired anyways. Some decent shocks and bigger tires. That will make it a fun driver and decent trail rig.
Did they get rid of the d20 in 74 or something?

I have a Turbo 400 automatic and its mated to a Dana 20 t case.

Quote:
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now! - Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2012, 03:32 PM   #18
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordell2016
Alright guys i have another question if anyone can answer it... the ignition locks in any car but it is a son-of-a to get it unlocked... I don't have the money now to buy a new one or and the junk yard don't have one.... (P.S. got her fired up and out for a drive the other day... sounds good and don't leak anything.. Thanks for all the Help!
)
Are you saying the ignition cylinder is jamming up?

That's like a 10 dollar part at autozone. Includes new keys too. Takes about 25 minutes to replace it. Rent a steering wheel puller while you are there. Super easy.

Quote:
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now! - Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 10-11-2012, 08:53 PM   #19
cordell2016

Well see it take a lot of elbow grease and a lot of kicking the dirt and cussing! I was talking to my dad and he said try putting some WD-40 or something for now and see how much a new part is... if it is only 10 bucks i'll have to run in to town and order it!

PS i'll get some pictures up some time this weekend or next week?
THANK YOU THE HELP...
~DELL
cordell2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2012, 09:13 AM   #20
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

ignition......if you've got an extra car or two, it's the same cylinder as any older chevy or amc. Or, if you can get it out, you can turn your ignition with a pair of needlenose pliers.
Unread 10-12-2012, 02:58 PM   #21
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Here, even if you dont have a tilt column, its all about the same.

This is the guide I used to do mine

http://www.epiccomputer.com/dale/jee...tilt/tilt.html

Quote:

Unread 10-13-2012, 07:28 AM   #22
73pumpkin
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

I've got a questio nfor you. Does your 74 have a catch can for the anti-freeze overflow? My 73 does not and I wondered what was the first year that had them. Get that ignition sorted out yet?
Unread 10-14-2012, 06:40 AM   #23
cordell2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73pumpkin View Post
I've got a questio nfor you. Does your 74 have a catch can for the anti-freeze overflow? My 73 does not and I wondered what was the first year that had them. Get that ignition sorted out yet?
My does not have a catch for the anti-freeze...
Unread 10-14-2012, 01:50 PM   #24
dbabicky
1975 J-Series Truck 

My 75 J-10 doesn't have an overflow bottle either. I think they came about around the 77-78 model year. MY 78 Chief has one. Looks stock, but I don't know.
Unread 10-14-2012, 02:05 PM   #25
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

my 76 j10 and 77 chief did not, but my 79 chief and 81 j10 did
Unread 10-15-2012, 07:36 AM   #26
cordell2016

All mine has is a rubber hose coming out of the top and running down the side and just comes out the bottom and drips on the ground....
Unread 10-16-2012, 09:31 AM   #27
cordell2016

Well I just got the word my shop teacher is letting me bring her in to work on it... Haha getting a grade for working on her... I'll have to put some pictures up. I also found a way to save some money on floor pans... I'm going to use some old hoods I have lieing around the farm... It will save a few dollars.... Also does anyone know if there is anyway to fix the latches on the tail gate?
Unread 10-17-2012, 01:19 PM   #28
73pumpkin
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

I used doors off of old Heating and Ac roof top units to patch my floor. I have another minor question. I suspect someone has cut off the end of the oil dipstick on my 360 or replaced it with a different one. Could you measure your oil dipstick from where it stops at the top of the tube to the bottom and where the full mark is at? No hurry on that, just if you think of it while you are around working in the engin compartment.
Unread 10-17-2012, 07:01 PM   #29
cordell2016

I got a question for everyone... I was looking and is wagoneer the only ones that had four doors and the FSj or sj cherokee's have 2?
Unread 10-18-2012, 07:46 AM   #30
CSP

No, the Cherokee could be had with four doors also. I had a '76 four door Cherokee at one time.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beginner , jeep , need help , wagoneer

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.