1974 wagoneer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > 1974 wagoneer

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-11-2012, 12:08 PM   #1
cordell2016

first jeep ever and i need help!1974 wagoneer

I'm 16 and I was given a 1974 wagoneer about a month ago and i'm more of a ford guy and i know alot about cars and trucks body and mechanical but a jeep is a little out of my zone.... all i know about it is the year and that it is all stock... I want to restore it on the cheap, but i have no idea were to start at and what to get.... I want to put a 3 or 4 inch lift kit on it and put some 30 or 33 inch tires on it. the body is in not the best shape but it can be fixed, there is rust is on the rockers and flood pans on the back fenders.... ok the body is border like ****. If anyone has any suggestions for any improvements or replacement parts please reply..... and if anyone knows of a bigger engine that would fit in it....

Last edited by cordell2016; 09-11-2012 at 08:23 PM..
cordell2016 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
73pumpkin
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

I,ve got a 73 wag I'm working on. You can put a 401 in them if you can find one. Check your floor boards for rust. A guy called Dr. Marns has a 73 build thread that is very good.
73pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2012, 06:17 AM   #3
cordell2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73pumpkin View Post
I,ve got a 73 wag I'm working on. You can put a 401 in them if you can find one. Check your floor boards for rust. A guy called Dr. Marns has a 73 build thread that is very good.

the drivers side floor is rusted to sh*t, but the passengers side has just a little rust hole... I have heard that the 401 would fit but i was not 100% sure if it was... Thanks for the reply
Unread 09-18-2012, 07:50 AM   #4
CSP

All of the AMC V8s are dimensionally the same on the outside. It's the bore and stroke that differ. I know where there's a 401 for sale too that came out of a '76 Cherokee (see signature)
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2012, 08:45 AM   #5
cordell2016

ya, i have been reading up and i found one a little ways away from me..... thanks
Unread 09-18-2012, 08:50 AM   #6
BJ's Off-Road
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

We have lots of replacement parts for these:

http://www.bjsoffroad.com/

Floor panels, rocker panels and quarter panels:

http://www.bjsoffroad.com/ProdList.asp?scat=12

Thanks!
Unread 09-18-2012, 09:58 AM   #7
cordell2016

thanks that helps a-lot... i have been looking for panels for a long time...
Unread 09-19-2012, 08:49 AM   #8
cordell2016

would any of you guys know how to take the dash off, i was trying to take it of to clean up and cant get off the top part... any help would be a big hlep....
Unread 09-19-2012, 09:25 AM   #9
BJ's Off-Road
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

There are some bolts for the dash pad that are underneath the windshield so you need to take the windshield out to remove it.
Unread 09-22-2012, 05:37 PM   #10
cordell2016

here is my next problem, the tailgate was stuck shut and after a-lot of WD-40 and time i got it open, but now it will not latch. I have taken a look in side the tailgate but can't see anything wrong. Any advice?
Unread 09-23-2012, 10:03 AM   #11
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

i have to slide mine to one side or the other
Unread 09-25-2012, 08:48 AM   #12
cordell2016

well nether of the latches latch
Unread 09-25-2012, 03:21 PM   #13
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

It depends on what your intended goal is. It seems obvious you are not going for a 'factory concurs restoration', which is a good thing if you are on a budget.

Are you going to daily drive it? Weekend fun cruizer? Mild trail rig?

Lots of things that can be done, these are great rigs to 'make your own'.

Bj's offroad is a good place to start to see what types of things are available. They probably have the 'most complete' selection in one place and their web site is pretty easy to use.

The engine is probably a 360 or possibly a 401.
If it's an automatic, the transmission is a TH400. Great 3 speed tranny.
Automatic will have a quadratrac transfer case. Good case but certain parts are no longer available.
It should have d44 axles front/rear. Good axles with plenty of parts available.

Overall a good combo for a fun weekend car or trail rig. As a daily driver if you have to go long distances the gas might eat up your wallet.

So you should be able to just freshen up the drive train. Tuneup/fluid change and not spend too much money.

That means you can put a little cash into a spring lift. Your springs are probably pretty tired anyways. Some decent shocks and bigger tires. That will make it a fun driver and decent trail rig.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2012, 05:58 AM   #14
cordell2016

Alright guys i have another question if anyone can answer it... the ignition locks in any car but it is a son-of-a to get it unlocked... I don't have the money now to buy a new one or and the junk yard don't have one.... (P.S. got her fired up and out for a drive the other day... sounds good and don't leak anything.. Thanks for all the Help!
)
Unread 10-11-2012, 12:02 PM   #15
73pumpkin
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

I'd blast a little WD40 in the thing or some PB blaster. It is amazing that you don't have a lot of fluid leaks. Check the levels on things to make sure they are not bone dry. Glad to hear you've got it running.
73pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
beginner , jeep , need help , wagoneer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.