1970 Jeepster Commando - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > 1970 Jeepster Commando

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 12-07-2008, 08:26 PM   #16
Grape Ape
Web Wanker

1992 YJ Wrangler 

For the fuel pump follow the fuel lines from the carb down to the side of the motor the fuel pump will be on the side of the motor. It is run off of an arm on the cam.

Parts are hard to find. There are a few individuals who have made parts for theirs and make and sell for others. Most parts come from other Commandos.

Hellcreek is the only suspension company I know of that does Commando parts. They are different from the CJ's in the suspension area so not a lot of support.

Jeepster Commando Club is an invaluable resource for help. The people there are the most knowledgable group you will find when it comes to Commandos. Just know before going over there There are 2 camps one is the 71 and older which are Jeepsters and the 72-73 which are called Commandos or Bullnose. The bullnose ones have a front end similar to a scout or bronco. The bullnose owners will try to convince you that the bullnose is a prettier Jeep but we Jeepster owners just let them think that to keep from hurting their feelings.

I have a pretty stock 70 myself it needs a lot of love but they are worth it for their uniqueness if nothing else.

EVERYBODY is pro-gun, some just don't know it. When an anti-gun person is in trouble, the first thing they do is call 911 and demand that they send somebody with a gun!

We've idiot proofed the world... now its full of idiots. - Spiritof76

You will truly be the same today as you will be five years from now, except for two things, the people you meet and the books you read. Charles E. Jones

I think I'll add some memorable quotes. blah blah blah..... FPKites

Trying to understand some people, is like trying to pick up a turd by the clean side.

Last edited by Grape Ape; 12-08-2008 at 05:09 PM.. Reason: got years wrong DOH!
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2008, 11:24 PM   #17
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1984 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grape Ape View Post
For the fuel pump follow the fuel lines from the carb down to the side of the motor the fuel pump will be on the side of the motor. It is run off of an arm on the cam.

Parts are hard to find. There are a few individuals who have made parts for theirs and make and sell for others. Most parts come from other Commandos.

Hellcreek is the only suspension company I know of that does Commando parts. They are different from the CJ's in the suspension area so not a lot of support.

Jeepster Commando Club is an invaluable resource for help. The people there are the most knowledgable group you will find when it comes to Commandos. Just know before going over there There are 2 camps one is the 70 and older which are Jeepsters and the 71-73 which are called Commandos or Bullnose. The bullnose ones have a front end similar to a scout or bronco. The bullnose owners will try to convince you that the bullnose is a prettier Jeep but we Jeepster owners just let them think that to keep from hurting their feelings.

I have a pretty stock 70 myself it needs a lot of love but they are worth it for their uniqueness if nothing else.

Actually the '72 and '73 models have the "bullnose" front ends, '71 was the last year Jeep used "Jeepster"; after that ('72-'73) it was simply called a Commando. The '66 to '71 Jeepster Commandos are also called C101's and the '72 and '73's are called C104's

Need a server? Buy this one!

COTM - October 2012!

If you want to help the sport of offroading visit the EnviroBeat Forum!

Blue Ribbon Coalition | Idaho State 4x4 Association | UFWDA | NAXJA | The KAT Team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Oh man Chili. I feel like a recovering addict that just had a bag of blow, a bottle of Jameson, and a sack dropped in his lap. You screwed me man!
ChiliPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2008, 04:26 PM   #18
zach3713

Let me give an update...and keep in mind i'm still stumped. The engine is running real rough. When I got it, it was running good and smooth. Lately it's been getting worse. I replaced one wire (it rested on the manifold and was partially burned). I took off the distributor and replaced the cap and whatever it is that rotates in there. Cranked it up and it ran fine for about 5 mins, and now is running real rough again. The jeep has an old 350 crate motor in it, and the cap has some type of grey thing that's screwed into the top. I'm not going to try and guess what it is, but I don't know. The engine seems to run good when cold, and first started, once it starts to warm up is where I start having trouble. Anyone got any ideas?
zach3713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2008, 03:30 PM   #19
zach3713

Still got smoke coming from the carb. after I turn the engine off...like the gas is smoldering. Also...Engine runs GREAT when cold and first started, after warming up a little, maybe 3 mins run time, it pukes, and putters, won't stay running...HELP!
Unread 12-19-2008, 08:54 PM   #20
zach3713

Anyone got any ideas why it's running rough after warming up?
Unread 12-19-2008, 09:00 PM   #21
jerryjeeper
Old Jeep Guy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Congrats on the purchase of the Jeepster. One good source for new and used parts is Z&M Jeeps Ltd. in Maumee Ohio. Zack, the owner is a Dana drivetrain engineer who really knows the old Jeeps and has thousands of parts. If you know what you need, check him out. www.zmjeeps.com
jerryjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2009, 12:42 PM   #22
JillTheThrill
2008 XK Commander 

Congrats on your ride! That is one awesome vehicle!!!
Unread 01-14-2009, 04:15 PM   #23
bigdawgfan
1974 FSJ Cherokee 

If you're looking for a donor comando I found thins one off Craig's list
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/cto/988019401.html
bigdawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2009, 08:49 AM   #24
Zorm
1983 FSJ Cherokee 

Congrats on the purchase! ZM Jeeps is a good source for Jeep parts, he might have the Cammando parts.
Man, dare I say it...I would sell / trade my 83 Chero for a good cammando
Zorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2009, 12:11 AM   #25
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

If it's Auburn, WA state where you live, you might want to pop by NAPA in Shoreline (just north of Seattle on Aurora Ave, AKA Hwy 99 and 165th street north) I'm generally there every day except thurs/fri. Sounds like you have broken vacuum hoses causing lean mixture and rough running.
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2009, 02:06 PM   #26
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

a little lqate to the party, but Welcome to another Jeepster nonetheless.

some parts are interchangable with CJ's, some with FSJ, and other's (mostly body) are solely Jeepster Commando.

here are a couple parts sources I've found

http://www.jeepstercommandoclub.com/...jcca/index.htm

http://www.americanjeepsterclub.org/

http://justjeepsters.com/

http://www.jeepsterpartsdude.com/

http://www.jeepsterparts.us/

http://www.thejeepsterman.com/

Hope this Helps!

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2009, 02:48 PM   #27
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach3713 View Post
I need to fix the brakes (thinking of disc) but don't know how hard the conversion would be.
All you need is a CJ narrow-track Dana 30 front with discs to bolt in.

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2010, 09:37 AM   #28
MTSHANK
1973 C104 

please check out The Jeepster Commando Club of America
MTSHANK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 04:30 PM   #29
tim-v

go to www.earlycj5.com there is a stick in the Jeepster Commando and Commando Tech fourm on where to find parts, also do a search for the conversions because someone has probaly done it or will be able to answer your ???s
As for your engine remember it is not an engine that came stock in the Commando
tim-v is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.