1964 Wagoneer rebuild thread - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 04-19-2016, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
MuscleMike

1964 Wagoneer rebuild thread

Below is a link to the first thread on this vehicle , this is a friends car that I am helping restore for him.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f57/1...spark-3685657/

This will be the spot where I track the project and welcome any advice. I will be posting pictures of the project soon.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-19-2016, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
MuscleMike

So at this time I have spark but am getting starved for fuel as you can see here,
I have already dropped and cleaned out the fuel tank, replaced worn out fuel hoses and the fuel filter. I am going to have the carb either rebuilt or replaced. What do you guys think on the subject of either rebuilding or replacing the carb? If replacing please provide a link to the carb you suggest. Thank you!
post #3 of 7 Old 05-09-2016, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
MuscleMike

Have a brand new carburetor on the jeep and it is still not starting. This is a video of the start attempt. I am getting two different no start types and both are in video. The first attempt sounds different than the rest and they happen differently at random.

post #4 of 7 Old 05-10-2016, 10:20 AM
Curly5759
1997 TJ Wrangler 

A couple of things to try:
1) The choke isn't closed. It needs to be closed on a cold engine to help the engine draw fuel from the carb. Not sure if it is a mechanical or automatic choke, regardless, you can close it by hand if you need to. One the engine starts the choke must open at least a 1/4 inch so the engine doesn't flood.
2) Try pumping the gas 2 or 3 times before cranking, that will give the engine a shot of fuel to aid in starting.
3) If 1 and 2 don't help, try priming the engine with starting fluid (don't overdo it!) and see what happens.

Curly

I start what I finish!
77 Jeep Cherokee S
97 Jeep Wrangler
post #5 of 7 Old 05-10-2016, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
MuscleMike

sSo i just read you post and thank you for your reply, I was able to get the motor running today. I tried like 100 time with the choke closed sometimes using starting fluid. It seemed like it wanted to start but it would not. Then after like 100 time trying i opened the choke and tried some more. After about 50 more tries it finally started and I let it run for a bit. She is starting right up every time now. Going to replace front and rear diff fluid. drag link, wheel seals, motor mounts, rig up the gas pedal some how, replace the valve cover gasket, clean the cooling system, slap the wheels on and take her for spin (hopefully). If that all works out then it's off to the body shop. I will post a video of the motor running and keep updates coming! Thank You!
post #6 of 7 Old 06-23-2016, 04:42 PM
zookeeper93
1965 FSJ Wagoneer 

Nice ride. How's the restoration coming? I'm not on much but from time to time and saw your post. Not too many of these guys around anymore. We have a 65 Kaiser Jeep 4x4 that has been in running condition since she came off the lot. Just did some extensive work on her two summers ago.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f57/1...69/index2.html

Good luck getting her done and love to see photos.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-26-2016, 08:21 PM
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

fsjnetwork.com has more people on it for fsj Jeeps.. Jeep forum is mostly a ZJ/XJ wrangler forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.