ZJ_flexxxer's manche build - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > ZJ_flexxxer's manche build

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 08-30-2012, 04:17 PM   #61
ZJ_flexxxer
1994 ZJ 

so after finding out that wj drag links are the same length and wouldn't work for this application i decided to yet again get the grinder out. chopped the drag link in half and took about 3" out of it.

i used the old peice from the wj tie rod to sleeve it with. slid it on there then welded up the center of the drag link. then slid the piece of tubing over and welded it.

then i noticed that the nut on the drag link was hitting the tractor pins i used for disconnects.

i grabbed the grinder and gave it a little buzz and now the knuckle goes all the way over to the stop.

i still have to grab a new end to go on the drag link since the ball joint is bad and some brake lines. but here she is parked out on the street so i could pick up my mess in the driveway

94 ZJ Laredo--lifted 4.5", rocker rails, front end/t-case/gas tank skids, tube doors, wj knuckle/brake swap, soft 8's, 32x10.50 tsl's [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-la-re-do-rebuild-thread-1212129/"][COLOR="Blue"]BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
87 MJ Comanche--zj d44 rear w/ disc brakes, wj knuckles/brakes w/ drilled & slotted rotors,6" lift in progress [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f53/zj_flexxxers-manche-build-1349142/"][COLOR="Blue"]BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
90 XJ Laredo--D.D., satin black paint job, 15" ecco's, the redheaded step child of my jeeps
87 XJ Wagoneer--R.I.P. =(

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/user/DirtHicksVideos"][COLOR="Red"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][U][SIZE="5"]SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL![/SIZE][/U][/FONT][/COLOR][/URL]
ZJ_flexxxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2012, 04:27 PM   #62
DezertXj88
1990 XJ Cherokee 

So you can go lock-lock without issue? I don't run a sway bar at all and my endlinks were hacked off so I shouldn't have an issue there at all!
Great choice with sleeving it bud, I know its been said but you really should try to sleeve the tie rod for safety sake to.

So lock-lock without an issue..now for the flex test...check for any contact of the drag link & track bar..or any other place that it may contact! I'm very interested to see what happens!
DezertXj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2012, 06:03 PM   #63
ZJ_flexxxer
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezertXj88 View Post
So you can go lock-lock without issue? I don't run a sway bar at all and my endlinks were hacked off so I shouldn't have an issue there at all!
Great choice with sleeving it bud, I know its been said but you really should try to sleeve the tie rod for safety sake to.

So lock-lock without an issue..now for the flex test...check for any contact of the drag link & track bar..or any other place that it may contact! I'm very interested to see what happens!
i will try my best to flex it in the driveway tomorrow though i'm not sure if my jack will push it to it's limit. but from what i can see i don't think there is gonna be any contact issues. maybe just maybe when i turn all the way driver the track bar and drag link MIGHT rub but i'm doubting it. when i welded the drag link back together i angled it slightly too just to try to avoid any issue as well.

94 ZJ Laredo--lifted 4.5", rocker rails, front end/t-case/gas tank skids, tube doors, wj knuckle/brake swap, soft 8's, 32x10.50 tsl's [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-la-re-do-rebuild-thread-1212129/"][COLOR="Blue"]BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
87 MJ Comanche--zj d44 rear w/ disc brakes, wj knuckles/brakes w/ drilled & slotted rotors,6" lift in progress [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f53/zj_flexxxers-manche-build-1349142/"][COLOR="Blue"]BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
90 XJ Laredo--D.D., satin black paint job, 15" ecco's, the redheaded step child of my jeeps

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/user/DirtHicksVideos"][COLOR="Red"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][U][SIZE="5"]SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL![/SIZE][/U][/FONT][/COLOR][/URL]
Unread 08-31-2012, 01:11 AM   #64
DezertXj88
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Awsome! I can't wait bud, thank you so much! If you disco your shock it will be alot easier as well with a floor jack..just to help you alittle!
Unread 08-31-2012, 02:26 PM   #65
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Nice build .

I do have to make a few comments . Fabbing steering is not the way to go . You are building to nice a rig to 'hack' something together . Not sure if your aware , JKS makes tie rods for this conversion . I run them on my ZJ with 4 spicer TRE's . I only have your best interest at heart telling , those are not roadworthy . If you fabbed them up to just move it around during the build , great , I did that too . With everything being so nice , you're only gonna end up doing them anyways , lol.

That said , your gonna wat to run the steering box to pass side OTK for flex with no binding . This requires a RHD pass side TRE and a insert from Goforit . At which time , you will want the OTA track bar . I know , lol , it never ends . If your going to do something , do it right You got the skills .

lastly , I didn't read where you changed the lower ball joints . I did see the pics and read your tightened in the WJ knuckles . Well , those have a different taper on the lower stud going into the knuckle, those won't work . Might end up with DW because of it . I tried them on mine while waiting for the new WJ ball joints and they do clunk . I bought 4 XRF ball joints on ebay . 169 I think .

Do it right and you'll love that WJ set up . Best mod I made on my jeep yet .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2012, 05:05 PM   #66
DezertXj88
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfieZJ View Post
Nice build .

I do have to make a few comments . Fabbing steering is not the way to go . You are building to nice a rig to 'hack' something together . Not sure if your aware , JKS makes tie rods for this conversion . I run them on my ZJ with 4 spicer TRE's . I only have your best interest at heart telling , those are not roadworthy . If you fabbed them up to just move it around during the build , great , I did that too . With everything being so nice , you're only gonna end up doing them anyways , lol.

That said , your gonna wat to run the steering box to pass side OTK for flex with no binding . This requires a RHD pass side TRE and a insert from Goforit . At which time , you will want the OTA track bar . I know , lol , it never ends . If your going to do something , do it right You got the skills .

lastly , I didn't read where you changed the lower ball joints . I did see the pics and read your tightened in the WJ knuckles . Well , those have a different taper on the lower stud going into the knuckle, those won't work . Might end up with DW because of it . I tried them on mine while waiting for the new WJ ball joints and they do clunk . I bought 4 XRF ball joints on ebay . 169 I think .

A few questions..he & I want to keep the track bar in the stock location..well I have to! I am doing the swap but I'm at 2.5-3" of lift lol. But anyway, with it being setup UTK it will bind with the track bar in the stock location? And going OTK on the drag link is the cure?
Unread 08-31-2012, 05:15 PM   #67
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

I think you'll be fine with 3" . My ZJ is a little higher at 8 . It's ok for the street , but , it wouldn't take much flex to stress out a TRE . Also , my track bar is still in the stock position . My angles are fine but 'had' to use Clayton's for the extra drop in the bracket to get them right w/o bump steer .

I have ordered the insert and TRE to make the OTK swap .
Unread 08-31-2012, 05:26 PM   #68
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Here's a pic of my set up as it sits now
dsc05809.jpg  
Unread 08-31-2012, 05:37 PM   #69
DezertXj88
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Boom track bar in the stock location! Thats perfect! Thats what I was after! Is the drag link & track bar contacting in any area? Are they binding at all?
Unread 08-31-2012, 08:58 PM   #70
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

No contact , no rubbing or turning issues . No binding under normal driving on the road .
Unread 08-31-2012, 09:28 PM   #71
ZJ_flexxxer
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfieZJ View Post
Nice build .

i appreciate the compliments and help. i'm probably going to cut the tie rod again and sleeve it in the future. but to me it's really not worth the cost for a conversion kit. i trust my work and i know what will hold up and what won't.

this truck will be street driven only, i'm not concerned with things like articulation so no need to go over the knuckle or change the track bar mount.

as far as the ball joint, i was never aware of that. i found out about the wj knuckle swap 2 years ago or so and no one had mentioned anything about it at that time that i was aware of. i haven't had any trouble out of my zj like this. the knuckles seemed nice and snug to me after tightening them with the impact, so for now i'll run it and see if i get any problems. but again i do appreciate the heads up

Unread 08-31-2012, 09:45 PM   #72
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

It's not overly expensive and yes , it's worth it http://www.4x4groupbuy.com/store/usi...e-p-11345.html

I am onegoodmason on a few sites , it was when I started . Here's my thread on mallcrawlin . Good info here : http://mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthr...ion-parts-list

I took my welded TR's and hit them over a rock after , they split in 1/2
Unread 08-31-2012, 10:13 PM   #73
DezertXj88
1990 XJ Cherokee 

At that price you can pic up 2 peices of 1.5" DOM. 1.5" .250 wall DOM sounds like it'd eat rocks & probably end up cheaper honestly! Themn just get the weld in bungs, or thread the ends! This is my plan..I'll just thread the ends & use a jam nut!

I will be running WJ tres on the tie rod & 1 at the knuckle on the drag link. The Pitman end will be a 1 ton high misalignment tre, part# ES2026R. I've heard many times the WJ tre binds up while flexing up only at the pitarm. I guess the high misalignment end is the cure!
Unread 08-31-2012, 10:23 PM   #74
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

2 questions , 1) Same thread as the WJ TRE ?
2) drill new taper and use insert ?
Unread 08-31-2012, 11:16 PM   #75
DezertXj88
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Drill new taper & use insert...not sure if its the same thread as the WJ stuff..I believe the WJ stff is 3/4-16 thread while the Chevy stuff is 7/8"-18.

Your having binding issue at the pitman arm aren't you? Tre is maxing out..hitting its max angle?
Here this thread may help you out..
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=834872

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.