Window Channel Felt - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > Window Channel Felt

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDTeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!

Unread 03-27-2013, 03:59 PM   #1
Taddeo
1991 MJ Comanche 

Window Channel Felt

The front ones on my 91 are totally gone. Can't seem to find model-specific replacement parts anywhere. Anyone know a source? or can generic's work? Anyone know what size fits these?
Thanks

Taddeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #2
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Referring to the divider bar between the window and the vent window? Teamcherokee.com sells them, but they want an outrageous price (like $100 per channel). If you find somewhere that's not clinically insane, let me know; I need new ones for all four of my doors.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 03:06 PM   #3
Max78
1992 XJ Cherokee 

When you say felt I think of the area where you rest your arm when the window is down, Teamcherokee.com has a complete set of inner and outer for a four door Jeep in the $130 range which I think it a great price.

If it is the window divider bar that needs to be replaced they also have that, it is $110 for 1 bar like mschi772 said. I don’t find the price to be all that bad considering the old ones lasted 20 some odd years, and your jeep will be dead before they wear out again.

Also THANK YOU!! Mschi772, I have been looking for a place that sells factory molded weather stripping.

Set of 10 pieces.
http://teamcherokee.com/complete-win...eer-1984-1996/

Window Bar Deveider
http://teamcherokee.com/division-bar...che-1984-1996/
Unread 04-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #4
Taddeo
1991 MJ Comanche 

Yes, the divider is what I need. Thanks for the replies and links. At 110 each I think I'll check with my local auto glass place first to see if they have a more economical solution.
Taddeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 05:28 PM   #5
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Somebody linked what looked like a great alternative in the XJ forum months back. I posted in the thread, so I'll hunt through my post history to try to find it so that I can link it. I've had every intention of looking into it, but other things are just higher priorities yet.
Unread 04-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #6
ExgrayXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

If you just want to stop the rattle and wind whistle (roar), go to the u pull it and get some window surround channel, felt, stuff. There will be enough to fix both sides divider with the channel from 1 side, but get extra.
On my mj and the xj, the divider was hard, like plastic. But where it entered the bottom of the window opening height (Bottom of window opening) it was in better shape.
The channel from the top to this point was brittle, and I pried and chiseled it out.
The side window opening stuff IS slightly wider, but with a little experimenting I trimmed the top to a slight angle, and left it just slightly long, and worked it in place, to butt against the remains of the lower channel. A little soapy water or just plain dish soap straight, will help.
The extra width sort of pushes the seal lips tighter.
Best part of this is that the upull I go to didn't even charge me for a handfull of window seals when I was getting some other stuff.
The side window one has an extra lip for style, to cover the pinch weld, but doesn't interfere with the operation, I just left it, on the inside of the divider bar.
Try it with your stock window opening seal, there is enough to pull it out of place, and tuck it into the divider without harming it, just to see if it works. It does.
A trucker friend says his Peterbuilt has similar looking stuff, and the dealer stocks it, sells for about $15 for 8 ft. Might work, not verified. Take sample.
I am a cheap bastard and went with what I had, and now ride in damn near silence ... if that is possible in an old mj.
Unread 06-13-2013, 06:00 PM   #7
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExgrayXJ View Post
If you just want to stop the rattle and wind whistle (roar), go to the u pull it and get some window surround channel, felt, stuff. There will be enough to fix both sides divider with the channel from 1 side, but get extra.
On my mj and the xj, the divider was hard, like plastic. But where it entered the bottom of the window opening height (Bottom of window opening) it was in better shape.
The channel from the top to this point was brittle, and I pried and chiseled it out.
The side window opening stuff IS slightly wider, but with a little experimenting I trimmed the top to a slight angle, and left it just slightly long, and worked it in place, to butt against the remains of the lower channel. A little soapy water or just plain dish soap straight, will help.
The extra width sort of pushes the seal lips tighter.
Best part of this is that the upull I go to didn't even charge me for a handfull of window seals when I was getting some other stuff.
The side window one has an extra lip for style, to cover the pinch weld, but doesn't interfere with the operation, I just left it, on the inside of the divider bar.
Try it with your stock window opening seal, there is enough to pull it out of place, and tuck it into the divider without harming it, just to see if it works. It does.
A trucker friend says his Peterbuilt has similar looking stuff, and the dealer stocks it, sells for about $15 for 8 ft. Might work, not verified. Take sample.
I am a cheap bastard and went with what I had, and now ride in damn near silence ... if that is possible in an old mj.
I'm not really sure I understand what you're describing especially when you start talking about a "side window."
Unread 06-14-2013, 06:51 AM   #8
ExgrayXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Side glass, at your left or right shoulder, rolls up and down. Sometimes clear, sometimes tinted.
As opposed to windshield or rear glass.
Has a flocked rubber seal around it.
Unread 06-17-2013, 06:32 AM   #9
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

K, I asked for clarification because people usually ask only about the division bar channel seal. You can get all the weather stripping, channels, and do seals you need from either TeamCherokee.com or Morris4x4. For the division bar seal, Morris has originals for $40 or I believe PerfectFit sells window channel seals that should fit

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.