Will turn but not catch - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 08-19-2017, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Startdmnyou

Will turn but not catch

Hi I'm very new to Jeeps. I just brought a 1987 Jeep Comanche 4.0 5 speed rwd with 116xxx miles on it. When I looked at it before I brought it, it started up without much trouble. Fast forward a couple days. I went down with a trailer to get it and it won't start anymore. The guy said he hadn't touched it since I was down a few days ago. It had spark, it had air but it just doesn't seem to be getting fuel. It'll crank but won't catch. Fuel pump hums when it's turned to on and I've let it do that 6 or 7 times before cranking then it sounds like it's just about to start and then it dies. I've changed out the fuel pressure regulator and it doesn't seem to be getting any pressure in the lines. I've also reworked the grounds and cleaned the electrical area but I still have no luck with it starting. I have a fuel pump that I can put in but was wondering if maybe the hoses are bad or maybe the electrical system is bad. There's a new fuel filter on it too. Thanks for the help. Also does anyone know how to replace the floor pans? I have a replacement but no idea what I should do to put it in

Attached Thumbnails
20170818_212908_1503184983032.jpg   20170818_190905_1503185079577.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-22-2017, 06:53 AM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Yikes!! Gotta love some people's wiring....

Just because you hear the pump it doesn't mean it is pumping. There is a rubber hose INSIDE the tank that swells, pops off, rots, splits etc.

If you own a Renix Jeep, you must check this out:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Jeep technical photos:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-23-2017, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Startdmnyou

Huh really? I think I'll take it apart and take a look then. I did finally get it to start and stay on for about 10 min. It sounded terrible though. Once I applied the gas it stalled. P.o said he was driving around fine except for the slave cylinder was leaking. He did say the p.o he bought it from had is sitting under a tree for 5 years so I'm sure it's gummed up or something

post #4 of 5 Old 08-26-2017, 07:04 AM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

You could verify it with a fuel pressure gauge also.

If you own a Renix Jeep, you must check this out:

My Jeep technical photos:

post #5 of 5 Old 08-27-2017, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Startdmnyou

Well you were right, took the fuel pump out and the hose from it was almost non-existent. Had a replacement fuel pump that I put it and now it starts right up and I finally drove it around for a little. Still lots of work though. Air doesn't blow, and it gets stuck in gear while running, I need to sand it down remove all the rust, Bondo and paint I'm thinking black. Also need to get a new bed for it, other one is rusted clear through, new floor pans, lift kit, bed line floor. Thanks for the help
Attached Thumbnails
20170823_205732_1503845024856.jpg   Snapchat-355682051_1503845057026.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.