Will the BA-10/5 hold up? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > Will the BA-10/5 hold up?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 09-09-2013, 09:16 PM   #1
CherryCj7
1979 CJ7 

Will the BA-10/5 hold up?

Hey guys, I am looking into getting a Comanche to replace my POS Samurai. The only problem is that it is extremely difficult to find one with the AX-15 and 4.0. I have found several around my area 1987-1988 with the "5-speed" guessing because of the years to be the BA-10. I want to put a 4.5" rustys lift on it and 31-32" tires. Will the BA-10 hold up to city driving and possible light off-roading until the summer rolls around and I can swap in an AX-15 and D-300? I know a lot of it depends on how beat the trans already is, but from what I have read it sounds like you can look at the BA-10/5 funny and it will explode... Any thoughts? I absolutely will not be able to do any work to the trans until the summer rolls around, so doing that right when I get it is not an option. Thanks everyone!!

CherryCj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 01:03 AM   #2
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryCj7 View Post
Hey guys, I am looking into getting a Comanche to replace my POS Samurai. The only problem is that it is extremely difficult to find one with the AX-15 and 4.0. I have found several around my area 1987-1988 with the "5-speed" guessing because of the years to be the BA-10. I want to put a 4.5" rustys lift on it and 31-32" tires. Will the BA-10 hold up to city driving and possible light off-roading until the summer rolls around and I can swap in an AX-15 and D-300? I know a lot of it depends on how beat the trans already is, but from what I have read it sounds like you can look at the BA-10/5 funny and it will explode... Any thoughts? I absolutely will not be able to do any work to the trans until the summer rolls around, so doing that right when I get it is not an option. Thanks everyone!!
Start looking for an AX-15 or NV3550 to replace it now, so you're not stuck later. I've posted details on donors and swapping, there's a whole thread on BA-10 -> AX-15 swaps at NAXJA, and I went through FOUR BA-10/5s in my 88 XJ (gears are too hard for the application. I'd strip first & second gear, end up driving a two-speed in 3d & 4th until I found a replacement box...)

And no, I didn't abuse the poor things...
Unread 09-13-2013, 04:09 PM   #3
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

I beat my BA 10/5 pretty hard (it was rebuilt by a Peugeot mechanic who complained that Jeep messed with the specs which caused the trans deaths) and it went on to another truck after 200,000 miles (I now have an AW4)

'81 Eagle wagon with upgrades $2500
'87 Comanche shortbox 4.0/AW4/NP242 on 33" tires $3500
carnuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 06:18 PM   #4
CherryCj7
1979 CJ7 

Thats good to hear carnuck. I have heard that you can beat them a bit, but more than not I hear theyare horrible. I'm not completely sold yet, but I just need it to hold up for a little while. At the most until I graduate college in two years... To hold out for an AX-15 comanche or to buy a BA-10/5 Comanche... hmmm
CherryCj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 07:10 PM   #5
87MJTim
1987 MJ Comanche 

I have an 87 MJ since day 1. It's been my DD for most of the time. Currently has 281000+. It has the BA10. I've never had a problem with it. Of course, I don't do major offroading. It had never been serviced until this year. The whole truck is being restored, engine rebuilt, trans and tcase re-sealed.

That said...it does have the awful internal slave. I've had to replace the internal slave at least 4 time.

If you can find an AX15 with the external slave get it. I believe that began in 96 with the AX15.

Get the tcase that goes behind the AX15. The tcase from the BA10 will not fit. The spline count on the shafts are different.
87MJTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 07:18 PM   #6
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87MJTim View Post
I have an 87 MJ since day 1. It's been my DD for most of the time. Currently has 281000+. It has the BA10. I've never had a problem with it. Of course, I don't do major offroading. It had never been serviced until this year. The whole truck is being restored, engine rebuilt, trans and tcase re-sealed.

That said...it does have the awful internal slave. I've had to replace the internal slave at least 4 time.

If you can find an AX15 with the external slave get it. I believe that began in 96 with the AX15.

Get the tcase that goes behind the AX15. The tcase from the BA10 will not fit. The spline count on the shafts are different.
Any year AX-15 can be used in an external slave arrangement, with very little work.

Internal slave AX-15s were used mid-'89 through '93, external slave models started in '94.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 11:10 PM   #7
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

BA 10/5 CAN be modded to external slave. If I hadn't broke my shoulder, I was going to finish the conversion on mine but I sold the trans with all the parts (AX-15 arm and external slave from a Peugeot 505) I had to drill a hole for a pivot ball for the arm. (universal pivot ball from the "HELP!" rack)

Unread 10-21-2013, 11:53 PM   #8
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnuck View Post
BA 10/5 CAN be modded to external slave. If I hadn't broke my shoulder, I was going to finish the conversion on mine but I sold the trans with all the parts (AX-15 arm and external slave from a Peugeot 505) I had to drill a hole for a pivot ball for the arm. (universal pivot ball from the "HELP!" rack)
While the most useful thing a Jeeper can do with a BA-10/5 is to break it down for scrap (case & synchros are aluminum, shafts are steel,) how's this mod work? Sources for parts? I'm curious...
Unread 10-22-2013, 01:38 AM   #9
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

Pivot ball from "HELP!" rack. Clutch arm from AX-15 or AX-5 (I forget) sleeve from same trans and external slave. Possibly from a Peugeot 505

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.