What rear end to swap in for Dana 35c? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > What rear end to swap in for Dana 35c?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 05-24-2008, 04:24 PM   #1
crlang2
1991 MJ Comanche 

What rear end to swap in for Dana 35c?

I have a 1991 Comanche Eliminator which spent most of its life in the rust belt... I'm trying to restore it to reasonable/dependable operation. Among other things, the Dana 35c , drum brakes and the leaf springs are all heavily corroded. As far as I can tell, the internals of the D35c are OK, but I haven't opened it up yet.

I thought I would take the opportunity to convert to rear disc brakes, as the current drum brakes are junk. It might also be nice to upgrade the Dana 35c to a 44 or other stronger rear end at the same time.

Any suggestions as to the best/easiest rear-end swaps that I might consider?

From other threads I see that ZJ D35c's are a possible choice as are Explorer 8.8s. Any opinions? I presume that I would have re-gear them to my 3.07 ratio...

1991 Eliminator
1986 Comanche
crlang2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2008, 05:31 PM   #2
maddzz
1989 MJ Comanche 

You would be better off getting a lower (higher number) gear ratio in the rear and then re-gear the front to match.
maddzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2008, 05:55 PM   #3
jeepicon-com

an think waggy 44's or maybe some bronco 44's would be worth looking into, I believe you can find the 3.07 gearing in those. You might have to suck it up and keep the drums unless you do a conversion. Anything you do will probably cause you to have to cut and burn new perches and shock mounts. Unless you find a rare bolt in MJ 44 that suits your needs.
Unread 05-24-2008, 10:29 PM   #4
crlang2
1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddzz View Post
You would be better off getting a lower (higher number) gear ratio in the rear and then re-gear the front to match.
I had not considered that changing the front ratio is no more difficult than changing the rear... Thanks, I'll keep that option open.

1991 Eliminator
1986 Comanche
Unread 05-24-2008, 10:31 PM   #5
crlang2
1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepMJ-com View Post
an think waggy 44's or maybe some bronco 44's would be worth looking into, I believe you can find the 3.07 gearing in those. You might have to suck it up and keep the drums unless you do a conversion. Anything you do will probably cause you to have to cut and burn new perches and shock mounts. Unless you find a rare bolt in MJ 44 that suits your needs.
I was told that D44s were hard to come by... But I didn't know they could be found in Broncos. I'll look into that, Thanks.

1991 Eliminator
1986 Comanche
Unread 05-25-2008, 01:03 AM   #6
jeepicon-com

There are a TON of 44's out there. Its just that many are not a bolt in for your application (Murphy's Law - you never find the good deal on the axle you need). If you have the skills of steel fabrication, than I suggest you go shopping at your local junk yard as there are still many places that will sell ANY axle for around 100 bucks. Educate yourself, then go pull it.
Unread 05-25-2008, 01:11 AM   #7
jeepicon-com

If you decide to swap both axles........

Look for a 4cyl XJ w/ manual trans. They should have 4.10 gears. TJs are a lot easier to find, but they are lo-pinion (u-joint life becomes an issue).

I think the perfect pair for the rear is an 8.8 rear w/ disk breaks and 4.10's from an explorer. Depending on tire size, you will need a 1" wheel spacer for this axle... or A LOT of cutting. (I will cut)

When I get the cash this is the route I will go.
Unread 05-27-2008, 02:49 AM   #8
Abstruse
2000 WJ 

Good luck finding the holy grail of Dana axles, many people talk about finding these in your local junk yard on old Broncos etc... very few succeed in actually obtaining one from a source like this though. Jeep enthusiast everywhere seek these out by the masses, junk yard owners know what they have, these things go quick and very few if any by this means are still around. You'd have better luck winning the lottery than just getting lucky and finding one of these in a junk yard anymore. The only luck I've seen is buying a new one from an aftermarket manufacturer and they want top dollar for the things, not worth the money to stick in an MJ Jeep, or any vehicle you want to build for serious off road that doesn't have a real frame under it. Better to save this kind of money and just have what you got regeared and the axles welded for around $1200 at a pro shop.
Abstruse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.