Water Pump gasket - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > Water Pump gasket

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-26-2008, 11:05 PM   #1
bboybean

Water Pump gasket

Finally got my Xj to start and very quickly found out my WP gasket is done with (spraying fluid). The pump is fine but I need to replace the gasket ,can I buy just a new gasket ? Canadian tire was telling me I have to get a new WP and they dont sell gasket material or just gaskets.

Im also pretty poor so If I dont have to replace it I would rather not.

Thanks Tons
Bean

Edit- Sorry I posted this in the wronge forum

Last edited by bboybean; 05-27-2008 at 02:08 AM.. Reason: Posted in wronge forum
bboybean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2008, 08:51 AM   #2
XJohnnyC

I don't even use a gasket on my water pump. Just RTV. "The Right Stuff" works well too.
XJohnnyC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2008, 07:27 PM   #3
bboybean

Yeah a couple people said the same thing. Ill try it, thanks for the help.
Unread 05-27-2008, 07:28 PM   #4
jeepicon-com

let know how it works out for ya!
Unread 05-28-2008, 03:22 AM   #5
Comanche5L

your positive the pump isnt gone? it would be a good time to replace it if it is. mine started spraying fluid and the pump was toast
Comanche5L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2008, 12:29 PM   #6
Abstruse
2000 WJ 

Even if I was very poor I think I'd still replace the water pump if I was going to take it off. Beats having to deal with it going out on you later, likely at the worst possible moment. Anytime I've ever seen leaking from that area its always been from a bad water pump, its usually actually leaking out of the small weep or vent hole on the pump body.

RTV does work great, often better than an actual gasket, its just a little messier next time you have to go and replace what ever part your sealing up with it. Let the stuff set up, at least 24 hours if you can wait that long before putting coolant back in the system. I've been in situations where I've had to use RTV and then immediately go without waiting for it to set up and its worked, but its best in the long run to allow it as much time as possible to cure.
Abstruse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2008, 09:40 AM   #7
bryans98tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I too would replace the pump. You have to pull it all apart anyways and how much would it suck to find out that it was not the gasket after all but actually the pump. I consider it maintenance.

Do it right or do it twice.
bryans98tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2008, 08:54 PM   #8
bboybean

Thanks all for the replies, Ill let you guys know how it goes. I bought a new WP too just in case, like you guys said at least then ill be confident it wont go anytime soon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.