v8 comanche - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > v8 comanche

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 08-21-2006, 06:24 PM   #16
eclipse27
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Just curious...well 2 things. Doesn't chevy have like a 7.9 liter vortec?/whats the vortec stand for.

Also do dodge engines bolt right in the jeeps? Like a dodge ram v8?....

eclipse27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2006, 06:31 PM   #17
S10Eater
2001 TJ Wrangler 

vortec is the make of gas engines that chevy runs. like chevys diesel engines are duramax.
you dont have to worry about the engines as much as you have to worry about the tranny you plan on using
JEEP: If i wanted a Hummer, I would have asked your sister
S10Eater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2006, 07:28 PM   #18
eclipse27
2002 TJ Wrangler 

custom tranny mounts? did u hafta do that??
Unread 08-21-2006, 09:34 PM   #19
S10Eater
2001 TJ Wrangler 

nope..i just can't remember wether we used the factory jeep or the factory chevy tranny mount. but my memory seems to be leaning towards the chevy
JEEP: If i wanted a Hummer, I would have asked your sister
S10Eater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2006, 10:22 PM   #20
eclipse27
2002 TJ Wrangler 

sorry for all the questions....but how about cooling?...didn't u hafta get a bigger radiator and stuff.
Unread 08-21-2006, 10:42 PM   #21
SuicidalPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10Eater
as for the rad it was a piece of cake!
just had a factory 4 litre rad and took it to a rad shop and had them make it into a 4 core rad and had them add a filler neck
Brought it over from the last page
SuicidalPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2006, 07:21 AM   #22
Cause
WHAT !!!!

Looks like a nice clean instalation.
Not sure about the choice of engines.
You can get those Tq numbers from the 4.0 I6 for much less and not have to fab so much.
Anyway, thats why we all have choices, congarats on the effort it does appear to be a clean install!!!

Last edited by Cause; 08-22-2006 at 09:37 AM..
Cause is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2006, 09:23 AM   #23
aladgie

i see that you have manifolds on it do they flow good enough? I am building a 360 powerd comanche with a buddy but we cut the front ed off and fabed are own front rails and mustang two. how did you run the exhast? We will bee usung a fuel cell in front ov the box.
aladgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2006, 09:49 AM   #24
Cause
WHAT !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aladgie
i see that you have manifolds on it do they flow good enough?...how did you run the exhast?... .

I would quess it was MUCH easier with CI manifolds, just have to route a down pipe to get the exhaust out! Finding a set of Headers that would fit would most likely be a trial and error effort, or to have fabbed would of been expensive.
Cause is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2006, 12:48 PM   #25
eclipse27
2002 TJ Wrangler 

yea you said you could get torque out of the i6 engine by stroking it. Once my medical dilema goes down, im gonna go back into either engine swap or stroking it. Stroking it seems to look like the better alternative. Money wise to, its cheaper i'd imagine.
Unread 08-22-2006, 01:08 PM   #26
SuicidalPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse27
Stroking it seems to look like the better alternative. Money wise to, its cheaper i'd imagine.
Probably would be, especially in the long run. Nothing really changes. Same transmission, same clutch, same everything pretty much and can still easily pull 260hp and 330tq (and more) according to dino's site.

I think i might still go with the Chevy V8 for mine, i like how it fits and i definatly like the centered air filter.
SuicidalPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2006, 06:46 PM   #27
eclipse27
2002 TJ Wrangler 

what kinda chevy engine?
Unread 08-22-2006, 11:38 PM   #28
aladgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.7 MJ
I would quess it was MUCH easier with CI manifolds, just have to route a down pipe to get the exhaust out! Finding a set of Headers that would fit would most likely be a trial and error effort, or to have fabbed would of been expensive.

Yes it would be a trial buy error I think We are going to get away with a set of shorty block huggers like the street rodders use and go from there with the egaut he whants it to exit out both sides behind the cab nascar style. we also lopped the complete inner support and rails off at the fire wall and are now useing a rack and pinion
aladgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2006, 12:16 AM   #29
DirtyCommanche
Web Wheeler

Ugh, hadn't bothered to read this thread.

Everyone who thinks the AMC 4.0 is all that - f' off. Yeah, it's a great truck/wheeling engine for it's low end grunt and realiability. It is NOT a performance engine and NEVER will be. I think Dino's numbers are out-to-lunch, based on my own experience in the area. He did a lot of guessing, and buying into advertisment BS. Oh, and a 4.0 weighs as much as a BBC!

A Chevy V8 is THE cheapest engine to get power out of. That crate engine is dyno gaurenteed (IIRC) and for a good reason. Not to mention it has a factory warranty. Also, as is the nature of USEABLE power, the torque curve (and HP) curve of the chevy engine will be far more usable for a street application.

Also, it's generally better (in the long run) to not be trying to get an insane amount of power out of an engine for its size. It's a longevity thing.

Anyways, S-10 eater, looks damn nice! If I was building a street truck I know it'd be powered by something like that. And carbs are great for street applications - but they blow off-road.
DirtyCommanche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2006, 12:30 AM   #30
eclipse27
2002 TJ Wrangler 

i agree the inlines not the best thing....but for my purpose street and off road, i like it. esp after i stroke it. I mean im not gonna be drag racing it....i just want some decent power, and offroad tq. I think its a great engine. Chevys are great great alternative for a street truck tho i do agree with that. My friends put a ls1 in his and convinced me to do that i had the engine and all but had to sell it to pay some bills. I was ognna put that in, but realized it maybe overkill for what i need it for.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.