Trouble with the Comanche! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > Trouble with the Comanche!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-26-2013, 03:46 PM   #1
parkia86
1987 MJ Comanche 

Trouble with the Comanche!

To get started I have an 87 Jeep Comanche Laredo with the 4.0L engine and 4x4. The transmission is the 3 speed auto.

This morning the Comanche started up fine but about 2 minutes into the drive she just stalled out. This has happened before and I just put it in park and she fired right up. About 6 hours later I was going to lunch and she would not start. The engine was cranking and she would sputter a bit as if she wanted to start but she wouldn't. After about 10 min I sprayed some starter fluid into the intake, she didn't start the first time but after several tries and putting starter fluid in the intake she fired up and I got her home. This is the second time she has done this and now I fear it's permanent, a few hours after getting home I tried again and she still failed.

Work to date:

I replaced the fuel injectors and the air throttle valve about 1.5 years ago.
I do not remember the last time I did plugs and wires and distro cap.
Replaced all of the engine bay vacuum lines.
The battery is less than 2 weeks old.
Fuel filter was replaced 3 yrs ago.

Odd symptoms:

I hear a strange buzzing/hissing coming from the vicinity of the fuel pump(assuming its the circular thing on the fuel tank). I put my hands on the vacuum lines in the area and could not detect a leak. I had the car in a garage this winter and prior to taking it out I have never heard that sound from the fuel tank.

Spraying carb cleaner will eventually get her started but takes multiple attempts.
If the engine is warm she will start.

Please help! I'd love to fix her this weekend

parkia86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 06:18 AM   #2
zackcj7
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Fuel pump is going out. Pretty common problem on the Comanches. When they start to get loud it's a sure sign it's about to die.

It's not too bad of a job to replace. Pull the rear driveshaft for access, some people remove the tank some don't. I recommend the Bosch turbine style replacement pump.

Check out comancheclub.com if you haven't already.
zackcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 04:20 PM   #3
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackcj7 View Post
Fuel pump is going out. Pretty common problem on the Comanches. When they start to get loud it's a sure sign it's about to die.

It's not too bad of a job to replace. Pull the rear driveshaft for access, some people remove the tank some don't. I recommend the Bosch turbine style replacement pump.

Check out comancheclub.com if you haven't already.
Good idea. And replace the filter at the same time.

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
Refresh*Connections*Before*Replacing*Components
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.