Transmission - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > Transmission

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDual Color LED Light Bars White/Amber

Unread 03-06-2012, 08:57 PM   #16
tbburg
2000 XJ Cherokee 

You might want to do some more diagnostics before doing your swap. (Bear with me here.)
The AW-4 (all years) is an electric controlled transmission. Without the functioning transmission control electronics, a brand new transmission won't shift properly. I want to say the manual mode for the AW-4 is, 1,3,4 & R, no torque converter lockup, no second gear, no automatic function.(That's from memory, not the FSM)

From what you're describing, it sounds more like an electronic failure then a mechanical failure. If that's the case, changing the transmission won't fix the problem. As it all died at once, I'd look at the TCU, wiring harness, and plugs at the transmission before I pulled the trans. Unlikely to have both shift solenoids blow at the same time. Also check for power to the TCU. In the 96-back models, the trans system is on a separate harness, and doesn't "talk" to the engine control computer.

Unread 03-12-2012, 07:51 PM   #17
ctm9191
1989 MJ Comanche 

sorry for the delay in responding, had some family matters to deal with, you guys were right, tcm for $10 at the pick and pull fixed the problems. thank you guys so much for your help and for saving me the $ for a worthless tranny. about made a huge mistake there
Unread 03-12-2012, 08:28 PM   #18
BigRedWilkey

I'm having the Sam exact problems. I can't seem to find a tcm. Does anyone know where I could get one?
BigRedWilkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2012, 08:30 PM   #19
BigRedWilkey

Does anyone know where I can get a tcm?
Unread 03-13-2012, 05:51 AM   #20
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedWilkey View Post
I'm having the Sam exact problems. I can't seem to find a tcm. Does anyone know where I could get one?

From Joe Peters and well stated:

“Let’s play a game.

You pretend that you are the only one that knows what year/engine, etc that you are asking about.

We will all pretend you never asked a question until you provide at least the bare minimum of information about your vehicle”.
cruiser54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2012, 09:07 AM   #21
BigRedWilkey

Sorry about that. 1990 4wd with the 4.0 it's an automatic
Unread 03-14-2012, 07:58 AM   #22
ctm9191
1989 MJ Comanche 

At almost every junkyard. Always remember, no distance is too far to fix your Jeep

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.