tranny swap for a 86 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > tranny swap for a 86

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 02-17-2005, 08:44 PM   #1
1986 mj

tranny swap for a 86

i was wondering if any one would know what it would take to upgrade the transmission in a 86 from a 3 speed to a 4speed automatic any info will be greatly apreciated oh yeah it is the gm 2.8 v 6

and lots more to come

Last edited by 1986 mj; 02-17-2005 at 08:59 PM..
1986 mj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2005, 12:31 AM   #2
1986Comanche
1986 MJ Comanche 

I don't know of any 4 speed automatic transmission that will fit on a 2.8L V6 in a Comanche. The only thing you could change to is a AX-5 5 speed manual transmission. Will have to be out of a 4X4 Cherokee or Comanche since yours is 4X4. Would have to be out of one with a 2.5L 4 cylinder or a 2.8L V6. Would be alot of work going from an automatic to a manual transmission though. Have to put the pedals in and everything. Why are you interested in upgrading other than the automatic is only a 3 speed with no overdrive?

Blue Jeep Club Member #123

Easy to be a truck. Hard to be a Jeep.
1986Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2005, 08:12 AM   #3
BRC 88MJ

As the 2.8L is the same motor that GM offered in the S-series trucks and SUVs, the 700-R4 trannies that were offered in those vehicle should bolt right behind your motor. I'm not entirely sure of all of the electrical and transfer case adaptations that you may have to do. HTH.

Brent
BRC 88MJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2005, 03:48 PM   #4
1986 mj

thanks for the input i know it was never ment to be a race car but when pulling my little boat or making any trip down the highway it really inhales gas and rpms at 70 run about 4ooo so basicly wanting an extra gear plus i got spoiled in the manche i had before this one it was a 89 4.o liter 5 speed manual but only 2 wheel drive. and for what it was going to cost for me to replace the slave cylinder i was able to buy my current manche less than fixing the other one of course i got the current one for 100 dollars
and lots more to come
1986 mj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2005, 03:57 PM   #5
1986Comanche
1986 MJ Comanche 

BRC 88MJ, yeah you could possibly swap in a newer transmission, but the transmission mounts and everything will be different I'm sure. Would be alot of work.

Unread 02-21-2005, 07:29 AM   #6
BRC 88MJ

If he wants to swap from a 3-speed to a 4 speed, the tranny itself will be longer anyways. Modifications will have to be done in order to make a 4-speed fit where a 3-speed originally was mounted. It wouldn't require much fabrication to either adapt his current crossmember or use one from an AW-4 equipped or 5-speed MJ and modify it.

Also, in 1986 those transmissions weren't computer controlled. The only electrical connection required was for the lock-up funtion on the torque converter. B&M, TCI and Painless Performance all make kits for this. The TV cable for the transmission would be the only potentially big problem I see. You would have to fab up a mount that would give the TV cable the proper adjustment or risk burning up your transmission.
Unread 02-21-2005, 08:05 AM   #7
1986Comanche
1986 MJ Comanche 

I don't think its worth all the work anyway. Give me a manual transmission over an automatic any day.

Unread 02-21-2005, 11:28 AM   #8
BRC 88MJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986Comanche
I don't think its worth all the work anyway. Give me a manual transmission over an automatic any day.

Perfhaps not worth the work (I prefer manuals, too). But the swap is definitely doable.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.