Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

tranny identity

2K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  zoman 
#1 ·
I have a an 86 comanche with a 2.5 litre with a five speed that i think is a T5 or did they come with another 5 speed in 86?

#3 ·
Ive never heard of a t-5 in an XJ or MJ-- thats a stock CJ tranny from 82 to around 86- ford/borgwarner part.
The T-4 is a possible...used untill 86, but only had 4 gears.

ba10/5....more common, more problems. I`d guess Ax5, sight unseen.

#5 ·
Dang, there are sooooooooo many errors on that site. :( Pictures seem good though.

The Ba-10 will only bolt to the 4.0/4.2 so it's not that. Both the T5 and Ax-5 were used pre-87 but the info becomes sketchy as to a pattern of use (2.5L/2.8L, 2wd/4wd).
car-part.com might be of some help if you're looking for another trans.
Jeep on!
--Pete

ComancheClub.com

#6 ·
Pete M said:
Dang, there are sooooooooo many errors on that site. :( Pictures seem good though.

The Ba-10 will only bolt to the 4.0/4.2 so it's not that. Both the T5 and Ax-5 were used pre-87 but the info becomes sketchy as to a pattern of use (2.5L/2.8L, 2wd/4wd).
car-part.com might be of some help if you're looking for another trans.
Jeep on!
--Pete

ComancheClub.com
Yes, there are a lot of errors, but good pics.

I'm pretty sure AMC just used whatever tranny happened to be in the back room with no rhyme or reason :)

#7 ·
I would say it's an AX-5. I have looked at my 1986 Jeep Comanche factory shop manual and I do not see any information about them using a T-5 in the 1986 Cherokees or Comanches. They list the AX-4 (4 speed) and the AX-5 (5 speed) manual transmissions as being used in 1986 with the 2.5L I-4 engine.

#8 ·
Strange, because I have an '86 Comanche long bed, 2.5L with the T-5 Borg Warner in it.
or maybe I'm just imagining things, lol

#9 ·
CanadianJeep86 said:
Strange, because I have an '86 Comanche long bed, 2.5L with the T-5 Borg Warner in it.
or maybe I'm just imagining things, lol
I think you just don't know what you're talking about and you don't know what transmission you have. I have never seen a Cherokee or Comanche with a T-5 (5 speed) transmission in it. The only 5 speed transmission they offered with the 2.5L I-4 was the AX-5.

#10 ·
The T-5 was used in 84-85 XJs (along with the AX-5, AX-4, and T-4) and it is certainly possible that some 86 MJ/XJs could also have it, if for no other reason than simply because the trannys interchange and some days they might have been short of AX-5s. Lots of weird things happened in the transition years. It's also possible that a previous owner swapped it in.
A search on car-part.com for an 85 XJ brings up a whole bunch ofl T-4s and T-5s.
Jeep on!
--Pete

#11 ·
1986Comanche said:
I think you just don't know what you're talking about and you don't know what transmission you have. I have never seen a Cherokee or Comanche with a T-5 (5 speed) transmission in it. The only 5 speed transmission they offered with the 2.5L I-4 was the AX-5.
Not trying to be rude in any way but just because you haven't seen one doesn't mean they don't exist. theres lots of things about jeeps I didn't think was true till I started coming to this site. I'm not sure if its the original one or not, I doubt it is though because the PO did the clutch in it right before I bought it.
Meh, who knows, I'll check the VIN on it later tonight with that VIN decoder thing I saw somewhere around here.......

#12 ·
FWIW - I've seen an '86 XJ 2.8L with a factory T-5/NP207 combo.

#13 ·
"T4 & T5 - 4 & 5 speed manual - manufactured by Borg Warner - used only in 86 with 2.5L I4 and 2.8L V6 engines"
Imagine that, a T-5 with the 2.5L, sorry I had too :laugh:

#14 ·
well, i have a 86 'manche w/ a gm 173cid/2.8L V6 and a four speed, don't know if it's a T-4 or AX-4...but who cares? Wish it had a five speed though...gas prices suck!!:mad:

#15 ·
zoman said:
well, i have a 86 'manche w/ a gm 173cid/2.8L V6 and a four speed, don't know if it's a T-4 or AX-4...but who cares? Wish it had a five speed though...gas prices suck!!:mad:
Just for your information, They never offered a 4 speed with the 2.8L V6. They had 2 transmissions for the 2.8L V6. The 5 speed manual and the 3 speed automatic. Thats it. So either you have a 5 speed and don't know it and you have the wrong shifter knob or a previous owner put the 4 speed in it which came from one with a 2.5L I-4. They only used the 2.8L V6 in the Comanche one year. The first year of the Comanche which is 1986.

#16 ·
rats!!! someone's messed with it before me....why swap a 5speed for a 4speed? Is the 4speed stronger???
:confused:

#17 ·
zoman said:
rats!!! someone's messed with it before me....why swap a 5speed for a 4speed? Is the 4speed stronger???
:confused:
I would say the strength of them is about the same. I would guess one of the previous owners put the 4 speed in it when the 5 speed went bad because they couldn't find a 5 speed or they ran across a 4 speed cheap. What is the first 5 characters of your VIN? If you have a 4x4 Comanche with the 2.8L V6 and it originally had a 5 speed. Your VIN should read 1JTWL. The L at the end is the VIN code for the 5 speed for the 4x4. If you have a 4x2 Comanche that had a 5 speed originally it should read 1JTWW. The W is the VIN code for the 5 speed for the 4x2. Now if your truck had a 4 speed with the 2.8L V6 originally (which is not possible because they never made them) and is a 4x4 the VIN would read 1JTWX and if it was 4x2 with a 4 speed it would read 1JTWS. Hope this info helps.

#18 ·
thanx dog, I will check this as soon as I get home from holiday leave...

#19 ·
Yep, checked the VIN and my truck was originally equipped w/ a 5-speed tranny...you think it's worth it to find a five speed for it and swap the 4-speed for it?? How about a more modern one, say out of an XJ or the like?? Which 5-speed trannies of what year will work on my 'manche??

#20 ·
zoman said:
Yep, checked the VIN and my truck was originally equipped w/ a 5-speed tranny...you think it's worth it to find a five speed for it and swap the 4-speed for it?? How about a more modern one, say out of an XJ or the like?? Which 5-speed trannies of what year will work on my 'manche??
If it was me I would look for a good 5 speed and swap the 4 speed out for the original 5 speed. I think they never offered the 4 speed with the 2.8L V6 because it is so low geared and the V6 would be really wound up at highway speeds. I know my 2.5L I-4 is wound up on the highway with the 4 speed which came factory in mine. It also depends on your rearend gear ratio too. The 5 speed has alot better ratio for the highway and the 5th gear helps a lot. Is your Comanche 4x4 or 4x2?

#21 ·
well, I'm a f@(%ing *******!! I guess all that the previous owner swapped for the five speed was the shifter knob, I went through all the gears yesterday and put it in fifth gear and there it is!!!:eek: :) I guess I never tried it cause the knob only showed four freaking gears! I feel so stupid...:mad::brickwall thanx all for all the good info and yes, my 'manche is a 4x4. guess I better edit my signature:rofl: :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.