Track bar removal help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > Track bar removal help

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 01-31-2012, 02:03 PM   #1
gatorhead
1989 MJ Comanche 

Track bar removal help

I feel like my expertise would allow me to easily romeve this item, and I can't quite remember because it has been so long ago, but I had removed it before to check the track bar due to a DW issue I was having. Fast forward to now.
The axle side came right off. Took the cotter out of the castle nut and tried to remove the other end and no dice. I tried a ball joint seperator, a BFH, crow bar you name it. The only other thing I can think of is maybe it is threaded in there?
I am trying to do it from under the truck. I have broken my neck and back so this is in no way fun lol. Replacing the suspension so I can put her on the roadside with that big orange sign. Any suggestions from here would be greatly appreciated.

gatorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
automan2164
1986 MJ Comanche 

You sure it's not spinning in there? Do you have the nut off? If so, and it's just stuck in there, put the axle side back in, and start the truck... Steer back and fourth. Let the pressure from the steering do the work of loosening the other end for you...

Rob
automan2164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2012, 03:41 PM   #3
gatorhead
1989 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by automan2164 View Post
You sure it's not spinning in there? Do you have the nut off? If so, and it's just stuck in there, put the axle side back in, and start the truck... Steer back and fourth. Let the pressure from the steering do the work of loosening the other end for you...

Rob
Yeah the nut is off. The track bar is completely shot, but I will definitely try this as I have tried everything else to no avail. Thanks for the tip!
Unread 01-31-2012, 03:49 PM   #4
automan2164
1986 MJ Comanche 

Yep, saw it back and fourth... Having the truck give it some business will most likely out do anything you might try by hand.

Rob
automan2164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2012, 09:13 AM   #5
gatorhead
1989 MJ Comanche 

Tried steering it back and forth and no dice!
Unread 02-02-2012, 07:54 PM   #6
ftpiercecracker
1990 MJ Comanche 

The tie rod end separator you are using might be too wide, when I did mine I ran into this problem. I went and got a narrower gapped separator, soaked the crap out of the end with PB blaster, and went ape sh*t with a BFH and only then did it finally pop out.
ftpiercecracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2012, 10:07 PM   #7
gatorhead
1989 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftpiercecracker View Post
The tie rod end separator you are using might be too wide, when I did mine I ran into this problem. I went and got a narrower gapped separator, soaked the crap out of the end with PB blaster, and went ape sh*t with a BFH and only then did it finally pop out.
I have the narrower one. I cut back the bushing as much as I could and currently have it soaking in PB........Now to find a bigger BFH lol.
Unread 02-02-2012, 10:30 PM   #8
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Get a ratcheting cargo strap. Temporarily put the bolt back in the axle end. Loop the strap over the track bar and under the axle. Tighten the strap to pull the track bar downward. Smack the piss out of the side of the track bar frame bracket with a big 2-3 lbs hammer. The vibrations will loosen the track bar.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.

CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2012, 11:03 AM   #9
gatorhead
1989 MJ Comanche 

Figured I would update the thread. I JUST NOW got it off. I tried everything except heat. So after soaking it with PB Blaster and trying to knock it out with a 12 lb sledge I decided to try heat. I heated up the drag link on the outside and then briefly around the stud and then back outside. It took one tiny pop with a small framing hammer and it came right out. So..........

IF YOU'RE TRACK BAR IS STUCK IN THE DRAG LINK USE HEAT!
Unread 02-23-2012, 11:04 AM   #10
gatorhead
1989 MJ Comanche 

I tried several different sizes and was crushing it with a sledge hammer and had no results other than bending the forks. I have a very bad neck and back thats why it took me sooo long. I would get up the muster and try and fail then I would have to recover. Yesterday I tried again came in and googled it again and seen someone took a torch to it. I didnt have a the big torch but I had a portable propane torch and sure enough it did the trick. Made it EXTREMELY easy.
Unread 09-09-2012, 07:51 AM   #11
stopher2
1996 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorhead View Post
Figured I would update the thread. I JUST NOW got it off. I tried everything except heat. So after soaking it with PB Blaster and trying to knock it out with a 12 lb sledge I decided to try heat. I heated up the drag link on the outside and then briefly around the stud and then back outside. It took one tiny pop with a small framing hammer and it came right out. So..........

IF YOU'RE TRACK BAR IS STUCK IN THE DRAG LINK USE HEAT!

how did you get a wrench into the bracket ? my ratchet won't even fit in there.

also, my castle has spun and the cotter is 180 degrees inconvenient ! the pull out side is on the backside of the bracket. how do i spin it to get the pin out ?
stopher2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2012, 09:17 AM   #12
ExgrayXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

i have found it easier to just remove the frame end bracket, 4 bolts, 10 minutes (includes beer time) and gives you full access.
In my case, it was a matter of the tapered stud wasn't fully tightened due to the access problem.
Clamped in a vise, max tighten and keyed.
Re-install. Vehicle on the ground. Frame side first, axle side might require you to have someone steer it left and right to move things side to side.
All tight.
More beer time.
Unread 09-09-2012, 12:08 PM   #13
gatorhead
1989 MJ Comanche 

First off I used a box end wrench, and I had to use the open end. I don't recall there being a clearance issue with it. I sold the truck so I cant go out and look to refresh my memory. I do know that I used the wrench on that. The cotter pin needs to come out before you spin it. if you have to use a pair of dykes and clip the rounded end and pull it through the end you can see/reach. Once you get it out and off you will see how to adjust it.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.