Time to replace ba5/10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > Time to replace ba5/10

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 09-19-2012, 08:54 AM   #1
hillbilly51
1988 MJ Comanche 

Time to replace ba5/10

Well...
I've put if off as long as I can....time to fix the ole 88 comanche Chief.
4.0L straight 6 with Peugeot ba5/10 hickey.

This will be the second time I've replaced the ba5/10, and my questions are about the clutch and slave cylinder/throwout bearing.

I purchased a good (I think and was told) ba5/10 from a reputable source, so I'm gonna do it again.

The first time I changed it, I only replaced the transmission, slave cylinder/throwout bearing, clutch disc and pilot bearing.
The pressure plate looked great at the time, and has worked flawlessly since.

I'm thinking about simply replacing the clutch disc again (if the pressure plate still looks good), the pilot bearing and the slave cylinder/throwout bearing.
I know it's normal practice to replace the pressure plate every time the disc is changes, but I know what I have in the factory pressure plate and I don't know what I'll be buying in a aftermarket (probably China made) replacement.

I've found a supplier for the slave cylinder that manufactures the cylinder from a solid block of aluminum instead of a plastic molding.
Is this a better cylinder? It seems like it would be, but the plastic doesn't corrode, and the Aluminum will if not maintained properly.

I can't afford to put all new parts in this truck.
I'm retired, and use this truck to get firewood (which is my heat system in my home). That should tell you how well off I am if I have to cut firewood to stay warm at my age.
I won't put any part back in that is visibly defective, but I won't throw a good part away either.

What would you do?

I've got a buddy that owns a service station and he's going to let me use his shop (read lift) Sunday after next. My son (who's a certified mechanic) is going to help me and I'm a old grease monkey and have been working on cars for 45 years so it should be a easy swap.
It sure will be nice to be able to stand up to change the gear box out as I'm usually laying on my back on a creeper when I do this type of work....I'm getting too old for that.
The mind's willing but the body's not able......just wait till you get old too and you'll know what I mean.

Tanks in advance for any response.
steve

hillbilly51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2012, 06:49 AM   #2
hillbilly51
1988 MJ Comanche 

Well. I finally came to my senses and realized that I don't want to put any used clutch parts back in my truck.
I've been looking around and comparing clutch kits.
Has anyone used the brand "LuK"?
From what I read it's good quality and the price is right.
I'm mostly concerned with the throwout bearing/slave cylinder because I've always been a litte wary of that design.

thanks
steve
hillbilly51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2012, 08:24 PM   #3
SnowYJ
1988 MJ Comanche 

wait.. why not swap in an ax-15?
Unread 09-21-2012, 09:33 PM   #4
ftpiercecracker
1990 MJ Comanche 

unless you got that Puecrap for free, you have made a grave mistake, AGAIN apparently. Quit wasting your hard earned money and go find an AX-15, external slave preferred, but either inter or exter are a damn site better than the ba/10. They never and i mean NEVER die. I am sorry to hear this is your 3rd go around with the ba/10.
ftpiercecracker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2012, 11:36 PM   #5
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Erm, you know that hillbillies are generally in the Ozarks, right?

Seriously, you can usually score an AX-15 out of an XJ, MJ, or ZJ fairly cheaply, and it will hold up MUCH better than the BA-10 (I know this, I've been through FOUR BA-10's in my 88 XJ. The only advantage to them is that I was able to pick up replacements for free.

(However, I've picked up one AX-15 for a small swap - set of cables - and another for free - drove the whole thing home. So, it can be done cheaply.)

Some modification is necessary to fit the AX-15 in place of the Peugeot, but the same parts may be used (save the transmission mount and transfer case input gear. The 23-sp input can usually be found cheaply - both of the AX-15's I got came with the transfer case anyhow.)

For information on the swap proper, start here: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=70388. That thread details a number of swap experiences - including my own - and give you conversion part information where needed (which are generally inexpensive.)

NB: The early AX-15 with the "internal" slave (AX-15i) can generally use the exact same clutch kit (including hydraulics) as the BA-10. The later AX-15 with the "external" slave (AX-15e) and NV3550 (which uses the same bellhousing and associated parts,) will require a hydraulic conversion and replacement of the pilot bushing, since it was used with a different crankshaft bore. But, all of that information should be in that thread.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.